Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Thanks for the info, next year I am going to let loose with the pest prevention in veg. Being new to growing cannabis I found myself scared to spray agressively early on due to things I read online about pesticides. That and supporting plants early on are two key things for me to improve on moving into my next grow. So for a sativa u probably wouldn't want to wait for trichomes to be Amber would you? My friend with more experience than me says to cut at 50/50 and I understand it is preference just wondering what your idea of perfect would be?

I'm not going to give a number just because I don't know. It really depends on the plant. The Creamsicle are Sativa leaning but still have some very strong indica characteristics. When I see my first ambers I'll take a sample and cut open a bract to check the content. I figure to be able to give a good estimate at that point. There are so many different strains and even within the same strain they can have differing chacteristics depending on how they're bred. Then you've got the weather. It's been in the 40's at night here. It looks like the stress is causing more resin production but none are poppin amber. That could just be the natural cycle. In the end, I'll have figure it out when I get there.

Instead of trying to predict I'm going to use what I know to assess.

I realised after I wrote that I might have come off like a snarky d*ck. That wasn't my intent. Sorry if it seemed like it.

I was alluding to the scientific method I learned in my college days.

Observe
Question
Hypothesize
Experiment
Analyse and conclude

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I have some burnt tips on two of three Creamsicle. Just switched from Beastie Bloomz to Cha Ching this last feeding. I wonder if Cha Ching caused a sulfur deficiency or if it was from doubling from 1/2 dose once a week to twice. I think I'm gonna Sledgehammer it and switch back to Beastie Bloomz. I don't want back off on the dose this late into bloom.

The Cannabis Encyclopedia says add Epsom salts to organic ferts w/sulfur but there is no way I'm fertilizing this late in flower. I've got to check my nutes to see where my sulfur is. Maybe it's one I ran out of or low on. Sledgehammer should break up any lock then I'll see where they're at.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Will have some proper high def pics up shortly. I have a piece of lint on my Pentax's sensor and it's fully setting off my f^ckin OCD.

...and my insomnia is on again. I'm glad I have you guys to bark at through the night.

Plus, this sh*t cold weather is f^cking with my watering schedule and I've had to postpone for 2 days. My girls need some food so I'm watering even though my soil is still damp. F^ck it.

In the meantime, here are some dancing ferrets...

T7ca0bb SNN1807D 406084a

Wishbone

Wishbone

Will have some proper high def pics up shortly. I have a piece of lint on my Pentax's sensor and it's fully setting off my f^ckin OCD.

...and my insomnia is on again. I'm glad I have you guys to bark at through the night.

Plus, this sh*t cold weather is f^cking with my watering schedule and I've had to postpone for 2 days. My girls need some food so I'm watering even though my soil is still damp. F^ck it.

In the meantime, here are some dancing ferrets...

View attachment 743693

Getting cool in CO too, and my every other day watering is turning into every third or fourth.

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

(Before anyone follows my advice re: when and how to spray Azamax, I want you to know. Though I'm an experienced gardener, this is my first personal grow and my first season to use Azamax.)

Azamax works pretty well. It doesn't completely eliminate them if you're infested but it will drop their numbers by 99.99% if applied properly. I've hit them 5x this season with Azamax and the only times it really worked were when I absolutely drenched my plants at .5oz per liter/quart (roughly the same amount). If your blooms are still early and they can handle the water weight, shower them off that morning and spray in the evening. Make sure to water your plants afterward. It tends to make them really thirsty. If they are very unhealthy it may be good to use a lower concentration the first application to see how they react. I recommend drenching once you know your girls can handle it (Misting gets more on you than the plants. Even though Azamax is fairly safe it can cause some skin irritation. I started spraying in shorts, tank top, and sandles after I learned to drench with the nozzle more open. Barely any gets on me now and I know I'm not allergic to it. Take a shower afterwards starting with cool water to rinse of and keep your skin pores closed then switch to warm water to completely remove. Wearing a bandana over your face is a good precaution until you get it down.) When their leaves yellowed after application (Azamax seems to effect my Sativa hybrid's nutrient uptake, don't know why yet) I hit them with a half dose of Advandced Nutrients Sensi Cal/Mag Extra and B-52. I'm posting some picks of what it looks like when the Azamax is effective and when it's not. DO NOT RINSE YOUR LEAVES unless you are certain watering will not solve their distress. If you rinse afterward, even if you wait longer than 24 hours, the Azamax will have very little effect. It does not damage the trichombs, so don't worry. The only reason I don't recommend spraying it right up till the last week, the swelling flower bracts could seal it in between them and your bud will taste like processed neem. If a lot of your hairs have died back then I wouldn't recommend spraying because the swell is beginning.

Here a few mites have survived and are still feeding on the veins causing the leaves to look nutrient deficient.
View attachment 743338
What they look like if Azamax is effective. You'll first see a pronounced healthy green edge. New growth is uneffected where feeding has stopped (it's very pronounced in the first couple days. Sorry, don't have any pics of that. But you'll know.) Then the whole leaf will begin to heal, minus a few scars.
View attachment 743339 View attachment 743340
Here, you can see the leaf still coated in Azamax after several days. This is why I say not to rinse. The survivors will move quickly to to find new, unprotected places, to feed. Do not avoid spray on the flowers, the mites will use them for shelter from the spay and continue to feed there. I'd rather have them feeding on my leaves than flowers.
View attachment 743341
Here, the hairs on my flowers are starting to die back in mass signaling the beginning of the swell. I don't think they should be sprayed after this point. I discussed this with a commercial grower and he agreed. He's pulling 1 1/2lbs off his little plants and 10lbs plus off his Tahoe OG. I tend to trust his judgement.
View attachment 743342 View attachment 743343 View attachment 743344

@dboy510, I went into detail as an FYI for new growers or people who've never dealt with mites before. This is in no way a critique on you or your grow. You just happened to ask some great questions. As far as harvesting, I feel ya. There's that itch to pull the trigger when they get sooo frosty. I have checked my capitate-stalked glands on a regular basis to make sure I'm not screwing up and they're all clear still, with the exception of some that have been damaged by contact. It blows my mind that they have up to 5-6 weeks left. It's going to be haaard not to harvest early because I need to let some oxidation occur if I want the bracts to be full and potent. I see some bud surgery in my future, lol. Thanks for your post.

Here's a great article I found on trichomes.

After reading it it makes sense to me why rusty trichs make for great wheelchair weed. I'm aiming for the perfect intellectual high sought after by myself and other Sativa/sativa connoisseurs. My Kush is almost purely for trade and if it goes wheelie couch lock, not so much of a loss, but I'm still aiming for a perfect cut on both. Hopefully within that 3-4 day window of perfection.
I love azamax that shit is just killer, but I use it in rotation with green cleaner and sns 217 for routine maintenance. My buddy gave me some plants with mites in my veg garden, and for the last week I've seen nothing, but I spray every three days now and have not seen anything!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Pro-Log (or Grow Pre-Log, could even be a Grow No-Log) 09-23-2017

Grow Log 1265 09 23 2017

This is my new desktop background. "Early morning donkey d*cks give the Bright Sky light roast the perfect flavor" is the name of this picture.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I love azamax that shit is just killer, but I use it in rotation with green cleaner and sns 217 for routine maintenance. My buddy gave me some plants with mites in my veg garden, and for the last week I've seen nothing, but I spray every three days now and have not seen anything!

I 100% agree. I don't think there's another pesticide that is so safe to use and still so extremely effective. I could see this stuff wiping out a fresh batch of mites in one application. Your rotation is an excellent idea because your really not supposed to use it more than three times in a row. I can't vouch for any of the other things your using but I'll get more experience next year. It looks like my outdoor grow may be back on, but in a new location... and I won't have to share my crop to use it. So I can use Advanced Nutrients and still come out ahead. I want to do 400-500 gal pots. If I can do that I'll use a combination of Fox Farms and AN to save money. Those two have really meshed well. I'm tempted to order a good size container of Bud Candy and run it right up till harvest this year. I've read that plants don't uptake the sugars and all they do is feed the microbes. But, that doesn't line up with observations I've made in nature. Never seen a plant or animal give up a free carb without good reason. Ladybugs will eat nectar, bees will drink soda, people will turn into fat dumplings on candybars. Plants will suffocate and cannibalise each other for a drop of sunlight.

When I used Bud Candy they seemed to resin/sugar up very quickly. So sweet the resin hurt my teeth when I tasted it. That sh*t works.

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

I 100% agree. I don't think there's another pesticide that is so safe to use and still so extremely effective. I could see this stuff wiping out a fresh batch of mites in one application. Your rotation is an excellent idea because your really not supposed to use it more than three times in a row. I can't vouch for any of the other things your using but I'll get more experience next year. It looks like my outdoor grow may be back on, but in a new location... and I won't have to share my crop to use it. So I can use Advanced Nutrients and still come out ahead. I want to do 400-500 gal pots. If I can do that I'll use a combination of Fox Farms and AN to save money. Those two have really meshed well. I'm tempted to order a good size container of Bud Candy and run it right up till harvest this year. I've read that plants don't uptake the sugars and all they do is feed the microbes. But, that doesn't line up with observations I've made in nature. Never seen a plant or animal give up a free carb without good reason. Ladybugs will eat nectar, bees will drink soda, people will turn into fat dumplings on candybars. Plants will suffocate and cannibalise each other for a drop of sunlight.

When I used Bud Candy they seemed to resin/sugar up very quickly. So sweet the resin hurt my teeth when I tasted it. That sh*t works.
DAMN 300*400 GALLONS?!!! I can only imagine the yields..... I'm about a year or two off from buying my first home, just catching up on some student loans. Plan to be debt free before taking on such endeavors, and maybe then and only then will a nice outdoor garden be out back lol. I really appreciate these big ass plants you got going!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

DAMN 300*400 GALLONS?!!! I can only imagine the yields..... I'm about a year or two off from buying my first home, just catching up on some student loans. Plan to be debt free before taking on such endeavors, and maybe then and only then will a nice outdoor garden be out back lol. I really appreciate these big ass plants you got going!

Thank you. They are housplants compared to all my friend's and neighbor's grows. They're pulling 10'+ and 1-2lbs out of 45gal smartpots. Don't know my yield yet but I'm hoping to give them a run for the money. At 400gal I bet I can get 15'+ which can yield 20lbs+. That means 2-4 trees with a maximum yield can match a 50' greenhouse and still be county legal with 2 more trees, and stay within the maximum canopy.

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

Thank you. They are housplants compared to all my friend's and neighbor's grows. They're pulling 10'+ and 1-2lbs out of 45gal smartpots. Don't know my yield yet but I'm hoping to give them a run for the money. At 400gal I bet I can get 15'+ which can yield 20lbs+. That means 2-4 trees with a maximum yield can match a 50' greenhouse and still be county legal with 2 more trees, and stay within the maximum canopy.
Dude I'm happy if I'm hitting a pound of 8 plants, but you're talking 15???? Godamn outdoors gotta be better in some ways

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Dude I'm happy if I'm hitting a pound of 8 plants, but you're talking 15???? Godamn outdoors gotta be better in some ways

I personally think outdoor is a superior smoke in almost every way. Last year I was able to test Blue Dream and Gorilla Glue head to head, greenhouse vs outdoor, and the outdoor took it by a mile. Indoor (under lights) can be potent but to me it misses the complexity of THC formed under sunlight. Just a personal preference.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm glad it inspires you. That's my hope in posting these. I had no idea what I was doing when I planted these in July but by watching other grows on here and good advice from beginning and advanced growers alike, they are off the hook. Never expected this sise or I would have started them with more room.

These are 200gal and the root mass is maxed. I'm leaning towards 500gal. I think that's a realistic sise to pull a 20lb'er. I think 500gal is big enough to get a tree sise from veg without the support of so many expensive nutes. I can focus on hitting them hard in flower with the money I save.

I'm using the grows to pick up a piece of land myself. Planning on using the grows to get out of debt as well. Student loans are a b*tch. The only loans that are secured by your own a$$ as collateral. They are on par with child support collections. Never default on one of those if you can help it. I feel your pain. I'm glad I payed cash back in the day, when we could still afford to.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

As if I haven't had enough problems with pests already, I found this little f^cker when I was going over my trichs on the big screen. If he were green, no biggie, caterpillars aren't usually much problem but this looks like a beetle larva to me, and on one of my favorite f^cking buds. I know it's not too late for Spinosad as long as I do a wash so I'm going to nip this bullsh*t in the bud (so to speak). I don't need some little bastards shacking up inside my buds.
IMGP0910

Top Bottom