Just Another New Guy :)

• Thread starter Scolymia7
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scolymia7

Scolymia7

My main reason for joining is to hear from others who have possibly tried what I'm hoping to do.

I learned growing using dwc and then switched to a table I built that holds 6 pots. Its top fed, with 4inch pvc drain pipes. All is fed from and drained into a 20 gallon rez.

My latest run has been my best simply because I got an A/C. Plus with bigger rez my ph has had very little fluctuations.

What I'd like to try...... This table I built uses a ball valve on drain letting me control the water level during its 15 min feed. After watching it over the last few months I began to wonder if I couldn't some how do a half soil medium and half hydro. Did a little research and came across dual root zone aquaponics. I don't really want to use fish, was thinking a hydroponics solution in rez and then a somewhat natural soil on top of the rocks seperated by burlap.

I want to try this because, and so I am clear not saying one is better than the other, it's preference. To date the skunkiest weed I've smelt was from a buddy who grew in hydro. It still lacked what I get when I smell buds grown in soil especially in organic super soils. Again just to be clear(dont want debates lol) im not saying one is better, simply saying I notice a small difference and my preference is the earthy undertones one can get from soil. Which is why I'm seeking knowledge/experience to see if it's worth my time trying a dual root zone, best of both worlds possibly?Simplicity of the hydro nutrients and possibly some earthy smells from the soil.

My plan so far is making a very basic tea for the soil(fox farm ocean forest) and keep using the Lucas formula for the hydro nutrients.

If this is a bad idea don't worry I'm not a sensitive individual feel free and share your experiences. I came here to make sure what I'm hoping to try isn't a bad idea(still a rookie). Ive tried researching but all I can find is information on the dual root zone for aquaponic systems.

Thanks in advance for all advice and Hope everyone has a great day :)

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

My main reason for joining is to hear from others who have possibly tried what I'm hoping to do.

I learned growing using dwc and then switched to a table I built that holds 6 pots. Its top fed, with 4inch pvc drain pipes. All is fed from and drained into a 20 gallon rez.

My latest run has been my best simply because I got an A/C. Plus with bigger rez my ph has had very little fluctuations.

What I'd like to try...... This table I built uses a ball valve on drain letting me control the water level during its 15 min feed. After watching it over the last few months I began to wonder if I couldn't some how do a half soil medium and half hydro. Did a little research and came across dual root zone aquaponics. I don't really want to use fish, was thinking a hydroponics solution in rez and then a somewhat natural soil on top of the rocks seperated by burlap.

I want to try this because, and so I am clear not saying one is better than the other, it's preference. To date the skunkiest weed I've smelt was from a buddy who grew in hydro. It still lacked what I get when I smell buds grown in soil especially in organic super soils. Again just to be clear(dont want debates lol) im not saying one is better, simply saying I notice a small difference and my preference is the earthy undertones one can get from soil. Which is why I'm seeking knowledge/experience to see if it's worth my time trying a dual root zone, best of both worlds possibly?Simplicity of the hydro nutrients and possibly some earthy smells from the soil.

My plan so far is making a very basic tea for the soil(fox farm ocean forest) and keep using the Lucas formula for the hydro nutrients.

If this is a bad idea don't worry I'm not a sensitive individual feel free and share your experiences. I came here to make sure what I'm hoping to try isn't a bad idea(still a rookie). Ive tried researching but all I can find is information on the dual root zone for aquaponic systems.

Thanks in advance for all advice and Hope everyone has a great day :)
You can use hydroponics Solutions in soil but it's really an oxymoron. You basically grow organic or hydroponic so if you want to use hydroponic Solutions you might as well use Hydroponics or and inert media like coconut courrier. Soil is simply for people that want to go completely organic and not use synthetic fertilizers.

Scolymia7

Scolymia7

You can use hydroponics Solutions in soil but it's really an oxymoron. You basically grow organic or hydroponic so if you want to use hydroponic Solutions you might as well use Hydroponics or and inert media like coconut courrier. Soil is simply for people that want to go completely organic and not use synthetic fertilizers.

Thanks and that makes sense. I might just have to do a few practice runs and fit a small pot in my room and not care about it too much(look at it more as learning). I don't have space for much but could definetly experiment with small a plant till comfortable switching. Can't do a full switch, if I mess up there goes my smoke lol. Which is more important than the smell:)

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Thanks and that makes sense. I might just have to do a few practice runs and fit a small pot in my room and not care about it too much(look at it more as learning). I don't have space for much but could definetly experiment with small a plant till comfortable switching. Can't do a full switch, if I mess up there goes my smoke lol. Which is more important than the smell:)
Haha true. You could try an organic pot and a hydroponic plant as well. I've done them all I like the thought of organic growing but it comes with its host of problems as well like bugs and slow growth although I do love growing in dirt. I hate Hydroponics it is horrible maintenance and so temperamental. I have found the best is coconut coir and using hydroponic Solutions super fast growth it's like a hydroponic setup without all the maintenance.

Scolymia7

Scolymia7

Haha true. You could try an organic pot and a hydroponic plant as well. I've done them all I like the thought of organic growing but it comes with its host of problems as well like bugs and slow growth although I do love growing in dirt. I hate Hydroponics it is horrible maintenance and so temperamental. I have found the best is coconut coir and using hydroponic Solutions super fast growth it's like a hydroponic setup without all the maintenance.
I've not looked into coco prior to today and wish I heard of it sooner. You're right about hydro being tricky I've definetly had my problems in building everything (timers, wires, plumbing) That's why I'm hesitant on completely switching, solved all my problems, and everything is dialed in to what growing.

What issues does you encounter with coco and did you notice any smell difference after switching from hydroponics?

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

I've not looked into coco prior to today and wish I heard of it sooner. You're right about hydro being tricky I've definetly had my problems in building everything (timers, wires, plumbing) That's why I'm hesitant on completely switching, solved all my problems, and everything is dialed in to what growing.

What issues does you encounter with coco and did you notice any smell difference after switching from hydroponics?
Coco has been pretty laid-back. Only thing you have to be on top of your feedings and you can't miss any waterings it can dry up quick if you're not paying attention and damage your plants.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Are you doing man check this outhttps://youtu.be/Vf7YpkiBC5I

Latest posts

Top Bottom