Just bought a worm farm.

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

I started a worm bin about 2 weeks ago. The worms so far have gotten mostly banana peels and apple cores. I made the bedding out of some coco coir, used potting soil, a bit of cardboard shredded, and some spent coffee grounds.
I decided to give them something higher is phosphorus and sulfur, so I ground up some old dried chick peas and pigeon peas I had in the back of the cupboard. I sprinkled about 1/4 lb of the bean powder into the pile of banana peels in the corner of the bin in this video. 2 weeks ago the worms were tiny, but now there are a bunch of really plump ones in this pile. The worms really seem to like it. They will need more time to finish eating the beans, and I have about 3/4 lb of bean powder already prepped.
Don't watch this video if you are squeamish...

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

Looks like a lot of that bean powder has been eaten.

(Video from last night)

I think they like it. I still have about 3/4 lb of the powder left. I think I might do an experiment.

I saw someone mention pre-composting vegie scraps to reduce moisture, and prevent worms from drowning?!.. I don't know about all of that, but I did read freezing scraps breaks the internal structure and helps them decompose quicker. On that note, If you are building your own worm bin... make sure it has adequate drainage. This week, I'll keep a ziplock in the freezer and collect scraps (I'm going to estimate 5-8 banana peels, apple cores 3, Some pear cores 🤤, and I am planning on roasting up a couple pounds of brussels sprouts tomorrow so maybe 1/4 of the stems and roughed up outer leaves.) I'll take the bag, defrost it and mix in a half pound of bean powder. I want to see how fast that breaks down and gets eaten.

Hawk518

Hawk518

I started a worm bin about 2 weeks ago.
Me too! I started two weeks ago too. Have a bin w. red wigglers over another bin to catch any excessive moisture. They appear to be doing well so far. I've been freezing the food scraps as well. Put a bunch of the frozen food in the blender before feeding them today. Heard that they'll eat thru the sludge faster than thru solids.

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

Me too! I started two weeks ago too. Have a bin w. red wigglers over another bin to catch any excessive moisture. They appear to be doing well so far. I've been freezing the food scraps as well. Put a bunch of the frozen food in the blender before feeding them today. Heard that they'll eat thru the sludge faster than thru solids.
I heard the same! Makes sense since they don't have teeth. Blender is a good idea. I used a coffeegrinder for the dried beans in their die.

I have red wigglers too! Are yours wild caught or farm raised?

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

The skin doesn’t really break down. I use it to move worms into my pots.
Smart! I was wondering how i would entice them into the next bin without completely sifting the castings and removing all food.

Haha half an avocado would be a much easier/less labor intensive.

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

Also I feed mine the paper egg cartons.
How about the shells? I hear they eat them, but if it is like anything else that they eat... it needs to break down a bit first.

I was debating toasting and grinding the shells up. maybe mix them into my dried bean powder.

Hawk518

Hawk518

How about the shells? I hear they eat them, but if it is like anything else that they eat... it needs to break down a bit first.

I was debating toasting and grinding the shells up. maybe mix them into my dried bean powder.
Once again, you beat me to the punch. I was about to ask the same thing about egg shells. I know they should be ground up and sprinkled on top, BUT, do they need to be baked (or microwaved) first? I have a bunch in the freezer at the moment.

Hawk518

Hawk518

I have red wigglers too! Are yours wild caught or farm raised?
I just bought mine from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm online. They sold the smallest amount. Figure that if worms double in population every 3 months or so, starting with 250 worms should be more than enough. Also check out the Urban Worm Farm online. Lots of great vids and products.

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

I just bought mine from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm online. They sold the smallest amount. Figure that if worms double in population every 3 months or so, starting with 250 worms should be more than enough. Also check out the Urban Worm Farm online. Lots of great vids and products.
Same! Uncle jim seems to have his stuff together when it comes to shipping worms. 250 for me as well. Ill check out the urban worm farm too.

Once again, you beat me to the punch. I was about to ask the same thing about egg shells. I know they should be ground up and sprinkled on top, BUT, do they need to be baked (or microwaved) first? I have a bunch in the freezer at the moment.
I think the baking just makes them more "shelf stable" and reduces the smell. I know if you sprinkle some egg shells in the garden it could take years for that calcium to become available to the plants... I wanna know how to get it all available in 3 months lol

N

Natep

No I make water soluble calcium out them.

Hawk518

Hawk518

I was wondering how i would entice them into the next bin without completely sifting the castings and removing all food.
What I've seen online and hope to do: Bin #1 is on bottom. Two bricks in it to elevate Bin 2. If Bin 2 has too much moisture, it will drain into #1. I have a third bin with holes drilled in bottom. Food / bedding / worms in Bin 2. When the Bin 2 appears to be mostly castings, I'll fill the third bin and place it on top of bin 2. Then I'll only place food in this new third bin. The worms should then migrate into the top bin. Wow - what babble. Hopefully, that made sense!

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

What I've seen online and hope to do: Bin #1 is on bottom. Two bricks in it to elevate Bin 2. If Bin 2 has too much moisture, it will drain into #1. I have a third bin with holes drilled in bottom. Food / bedding / worms in Bin 2. When the Bin 2 appears to be mostly castings, I'll fill the third bin and place it on top of bin 2. Then I'll only place food in this new third bin. The worms should then migrate into the top bin. Wow - what babble. Hopefully, that made sense!
Yeah! That makes sense, and what I was planning as well. I was debating sifting to make sure there aren't any apple cores or banana peels when it comes time to use the castings. I guess we just have to wait until we are sure they have nothing to eat in there before starting the next layer/bin? or maybe since they can freely travel between the layers some of the worms just stay behind and eat all the left overs.

Top Bottom