Just found out my bud is seeded 7weeks in... What should I do?

• Thread starter pablohoney
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

pablohoney

Well the good news is I have a VERY sucessful grow! I thought I ordered female seeds but 8/14 were male. I wasnt looking for males so I was a little late on plucking them (Maybe one week after 12/12 MAX!) So I thought I was fine and was going to get seedless bud then I trim one today and find out there are seeds in them, upon further inspection some of my main colas have seeds too... I guess the best thing to do is ride it out and collect viable seeds (Northern Lights 5) but most of the seeds i plucked were green and not brown. Do I just keep the plant flowering longer until the seeds emerge themselves? Will that make the bud less potent. The bud is still smokable so I am still happy but I would like it as potent as possible.

What to do what to do..!

D

DrGreenLean

Before I say anything, I must admit that I'm no expert...

However, I know for a fact that when pollination in a male has taken place and the female has been "infected" and has started to produce seed within the bud flowers then it produces a significantly less potent bud and reduces yield too.

Sorry bud!

On the flip side though, you say it's smokeable and enjoyable so it's all good. You know for next time though man! :passingjoint:

DrGL

D

dailychronic

You can turn that seeded bud into high quality hash

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I don't agree with the less potent. Less yield yes. But it is a bud to bud thing. A plant can have seeded and unseeded buds.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i too don't agree with less potent. i have breed many strains and the bud is just as good. its just alot less of it. if the entire plant is seeded then it will be a pain to smoke anything. also if the seeds are green and not brown that means they are 2-3 weeks old max. which means one of the plants either hermied on you or there is still a male in there. it takes 30-40 days for seeds to become mature

C

culdaria

I don't agree with the less potent. Less yield yes. But it is a bud to bud thing. A plant can have seeded and unseeded buds.
I agree with Tobor, but first, like DrGreenLean I'm no expert either but some of the best weed I've ever had, had seeds. Don't want to sound to over the hill but in the middle
70's we used to get this "Columbian Gold" that the buds were loaded with super small speckled seeds, it was the Kill, light gold in color with just a little bit of green flake, about as close to hallucinogenic as it gets. The buds were totally covered with resins and trichs.... I'd say your good

F

farmerjohn

To answer your question, which may not have been addressed as of yet, YES, you do keep the plant flowering longer. Let it run it's course using the age old method of 75% withered pistils, to determine when it is @ peak potency. Not sure if the 30X will work here to check trichome development, since I have never used one with a seeded plant. Perhaps the old pros have input on that question. One plus in this whole mess is, you will have viable, high quality seeds after you harvest! I would add that it is possible your top buds are not seeded. That is unless you tore one open & have seen a seed in them. Swollen calyxes sure look like seed pods to me & if you have already seen seeds in another bud, you might just assume they are seeded too. Hope that is the case.

C

culdaria

I agree with Tobor, but first, like DrGreenLean I'm no expert either but some of the best weed I've ever had, had seeds. Don't want to sound to over the hill but in the middle
70's we used to get this "Columbian Gold" that the buds were loaded with super small speckled seeds, it was the Kill, light gold in color with just a little bit of green flake, about as close to hallucinogenic as it gets. The buds were totally covered with resins and trichs.... I'd say your good
Ha ha....Tobor, you edited your post the same time I posted this to your original reply, but its all good. I still agree though, more seeds less smokable yield. I'd say your still good Pablo

S

SSHZ

I actually have a few "friends" who think a seeded bud is a tastier bud. I also agree the pot can be just as good.........

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Sorry culdaria I just didn't want to open up a can of worms in this guys thread. I did want the guy to know his pot will still be good if it is good weed.

And since somebody else said something I had said I will chime in. I really like seeded weed after the seeds are removed. It just tastes better to me.

F

farmerjohn

Okie dokie, but compare THC levels of two identical plants @ harvest, where the only difference is one has "seeded". Well, the unseeded plant will contain a considerably higher concentration of THC in the buds. It's common sense, since the seeder spent a lot of flowering time producing the next generation, whereas the unseeded did nothing but produce THC in a vain search for love! The seeded plant may taste better to some, but my bet is most of us would pawn it off on our smokin' buddies & squirrel away the virgin dank for personal use.

C

culdaria

Okie dokie, but compare THC levels of two identical plants @ harvest, where the only difference is one has "seeded". Well, the unseeded plant will contain a considerably higher concentration of THC in the buds. It's common sense, since the seeder spent a lot of flowering time producing the next generation, whereas the unseeded did nothing but produce THC in a vain search for love! The seeded plant may taste better to some, but my bet is most of us would pawn it off on our smokin' buddies & squirrel away the virgin dank for personal use.
Ha ha!! You do have a point there Pablo

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
Since they're seeded, the best thing to do IMO and what I would do is keep them running until the seeds are viable. There's nothing you can do about the seeds but you can allow them to fully mature. No point in having green or white immature seeds.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hopefully the seeds are viable. But to be at this stage and the seeds not be well-formed makes me think that there may have been a problem with the pollen itself. I couldn't say what that is, as I've only made two purposeful forays into keeping a line going in seed form. But I can say fairly unequivocally (understanding that, at this point in the game, I smoke enough so that I don't really get blazed or super high anymore) that, in my humble opinion, yield is what's affected at most, not potency.

I made seeds on purpose with my last Cali Blue run. Pollinated the lowers, kept the uppers nice and clean. My sacrifice was not quality, it was quantity.

F

farmerjohn

It is my understanding that in a case like the maiden's, the virgin area of the plant, suffers no ill effects from pollen introduction, in other areas. Like it don't know what it's deflowered parts are up to! If I got it str8, sea, your experience was a similar high, from both portions of the plant? Interesting. I'm going out on a limb & suggesting you used cal/mag to achieve such a miraculous outcome!:giggle

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
LMAO! No, I did not. In fact, I failed the Cal-Mag metric on that run. The seeded buds did not seem to smoke all that differently from the non-seeded buds.

stickyicky

stickyicky

I wasnt looking for males so I was a little late on plucking them (Maybe one week after 12/12 MAX!)

Sounds like hermie's to me.

I scored some bud in Jamaica and it had a seeds in it. It was comparable to some Mendo I took over with me. The price was very kind too. $60 and ounce!

P

pablohoney

im thinking hermie too now, once the males showed signs I removed them. Hmm,

I cut down a top cola on one of my plants and got 2 seeds from about 18" of stem/bud. Not too sure what to think

P

pablohoney

I trimmed 18" of a top cola and I found 2 Seeds... I dont think it is that bad.

F

farmerjohn

Looks like you may have averted disaster, pablo! The top buds not being fully seeded, should mean they have been producing THC, instead of seeds, for the most part. Good thing you got that male outta the growing area, as quickly as you did!

Latest posts

Top Bottom