Just Going Straight Up No Branches?

• Thread starter oLd1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

My standard thingy on watering when using soil:

When the plant gets watered, the water combines with the food and is pulled up into the plant, recharging the plant.
Once the plant is recharged, it begins to grow and stretch or flower. You can tell it is in an active growing mode by the position of the leaves.
When the leaves are pointing up towards the light, that means it is growing. It is using the water and food you gave it to build new roots, stems, flowers, whatever. When it begins to run out of water the leaves will begin to lower. When they get to more or less level, the plant is ready for water.
Now, you may water today and the are leaves up for 2 or 3 days without water. That is fine. Give water when the plant asks for it, not before.
Water the entire soil, not just a ring around the plant, and make sure it is good and wet. That's it. Wait for it to ask.

Habosabin

Habosabin

Ah too late now no matter what I think.

Son just left after making sure I’m not killing anything. He has some from Bag Seed . And I believe you get what you pay for.

Wonder if his drool will hurt my Ladies? LOL

oLd1
Using good genetics from the start will eliminate one worry for sure. If you like small plants with one main stem you could do SoG(sea of green). Or go with one plant or a few and use a screen ScroG.

Habosabin

Habosabin

If you lst that gg of yours it will bush out and give you way more bud sights exposed to the light.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
thats an auto gorilla glue? i have one that is 3 weeks old today!

mine is not tall, i tried to top, but might have fimmed... lol. i also took off 4 select fan leaves to give light to areas.

View attachment 1136892
I'm fairly new to auto's but I think the reason auto's don't usually get topped is because of their short veg period. topping shocks them and slows down their vertical growth. The same as the re-pot talk we had..... shock. with a 5-6 week veg period they have no time for shock recovery. Once they turn or you turn them ( you can flip auto's by going 12/12 ) the side shoots will take off and the branches will appear. I've not seen auto's topped...yours must be ready to flip soon....I'd like to see how she does.

Habosabin

Habosabin

One thing about Auto's you can be smoking some while messing with the next around next grow. Ah got Photo too but like the Auto's..

oLd1
Ya. I grew autos my first three grows. They yeild some serious grams per sf and good weed as well. But you need more to fill the tent so more seeds per grow in a small grow. Autos are great for outdoor as well. Indoor I think photos are better controlled for filling the tent. Plus you have the untainted genetics of photos. I like both but I'm really digging my first photo grow.

Habosabin

Habosabin

I'm fairly new to auto's but I think the reason auto's don't usually get topped is because of their short veg period. topping shocks them and slows down their vertical growth. The same as the re-pot talk we had..... shock. with a 5-6 week veg period they have no time for shock recovery. Once they turn or you turn them ( you can flip auto's by going 12/12 ) the side shoots will take off and the branches will appear. I've not seen auto's topped...yours must be ready to flip soon....I'd like to see how she does.
Yes. Good point. If you make any mistake in auto it has to be corrected and back on track with 21 days or it will be stunted badly. Like not even worth the energy of the light. I've seen some grow dairies where they are still a few inches tall going into flower.

I think a qp from an auto that stays on track is completely within reason since I got almost 6oz my last auto under led with using 2sf of my tent space.

All my autos showed pistils at around 3 weeks so probably vegged 4 weeks total. And flowered next 10 weeks for fire weed. The autos I harvest before 10 weeks of flower have been subpar.

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
One thing about Auto's you can be smoking some while messing with the next around next grow. Ah got Photo too but like the Auto's..

oLd1
There's a time and place for auto's but there's not enough volume per plant to make them viable for me. I smoke an auto a weeks or 1 photo a month and it only takes 1 extra month of vegging to get that. I'll flip most of my vegging girls at 2 1/2 - 3 months. Auto's are like toy plants...fun & cute but it's like ordering off the kids menu. ☺️☺️

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Autos don't flip when you want them to. That's what makes them auto. They are pre-programmed and there is
almost nothing you can do about it. They can be topped, it takes a day at most to recover if everything else is fine.
I don't care for autos because I want control of the flip.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Autos don't flip when you want them to. That's what makes them auto. They are pre-programmed and there is
almost nothing you can do about it. They can be topped, it takes a day at most to recover if everything else is fine.
I don't care for autos because I want control of the flip.
You can flip autos. bin there done that 12/12 they turn..Once they turn I go to 12/12 anyways.

Habosabin

Habosabin

You can flip autos. bin there done that 12/12 they turn
They can have very good yeilds. My last one got 166g in 2sf. That would have been 419g if I would have filled my tent but I only grew one because I was mainly just growing something under my new LED to see how it compared to my outdoor grow of the same strain. I now grow full canopy with my photo grow and hopefully can get close to 419g in 5sf. I hope minumim of 224g

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

That's having to do something extreme to the plant to get it to flip. If you have to do all that, forget it. That's too much stress on the plant.

Habosabin

Habosabin

Here is the difference between auto and photo approximately the same age. Same tent. Same tent cam. The auto is 104 days old and harvest next day. The photo is around 100 days I think and is actually the seedling in above pic. You can veg a photo while an auto flowers so that part was helping with my effeciency use of watts.

51A939B3 CC1B 49B7 B408 B71ACB78A8A9
Last edited:
Top Bottom