Just switched my hps for mh for the last week of flowering

• Thread starter bobman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

zoeronerer

Why would you want to.

The lumen output of a MH bulb is SOOO much less than the lumen output of a MH, along with the incorrect spectrum.

I think your plants will finish fine, I just think you have done un-necessary work.

SYK

what are u talkin incorect spectrum ????

they have more blue and thats really going to help quality ...

mh grow better weed people just cant afford the diminished lumens ... but most people are not commercial growers on here ....

a 50 50 mix of halides and hps keeps the yield and quality up....

im actually going all mh in the next grow cause its my personal .....

try it

R

Radio_Dread

im going to have to give this a try. i have read the samething before. i am almost in week 6. so i might just try the MH the last 7-10 days or so.

RD

Z

zoeronerer

more rezinnnnnnnnnnn from the halide ...... good luck dread experiment ...

ya mon

B

bobman

one thing i always was curious about is that growers always say that hps mimics the fall sun colors. i would think the sun rays are always the same. do par values or spectrum from the sun really change in the fall. Is there any science behind that or is that human perception? I always notice blue crisp light in the fall where i live. Maybe the suns relationship to our atmosphere filtering changes par or spectrum?

B

bigAl25

bobman, I have a 4 by 5 foot closet, 7 feet high. I hang both the HPS and MH lights side by side during flower. With both of them my results were stellar this grow. Organic soil, fox farm nutes. I do have a carbon filter, and holmes air fllter going during light hours only. Hope this helps, and use both at the same time.

B

bobman

thanks big al. do you switch sides during the process. I would think one side would get hps the other get mh and the middle plants would get both. From what I read dj short actually hangs the mh vertically the hps hort, but I am not sure how they are arranged.

J

Jalisco Kid

When you say stronger do you mean the high.. or the smell and flavor or both?
Earlier I mentioned the deeper richer flavor, they were referring to the intensiveness(if thats a word) of the high.
Interesting thread. So JK how do you feel about TCH content testing? And is the bulb swap the only difference between your grow and whoever they compared it to? If not, I have a feeling some of your skills might have come into play in the potency rather than just the bulb. :-)
I wish someone had a side by side on this. Definitely interesting.

I am a hack as a grower,it's the genetics. I have patients I help so I get to see the same cuts grown many different ways. The best rooms have switchable ballasts or use more MH then hps. If I had just one type of light I would use all MH bulbs.
I must say I also believe in using uvb bulbs. I like the Phillips T100. I have not had the time to try many other uvb bulbs. Suerte JK

B

bobman

Its all about genetics. I am amazed how often this is overlooked or undervalued. People think you can put the equivalent a pinto into the ground and come out with a ferrari. Or they think they were the reason their plants were so good. Great genetics make great pot.

B

bobman

The best rooms have switchable ballasts or use more MH then hps. If I had just one type of light I would use all MH bulbs. I must say I also believe in using uvb bulbs. I like the Phillips T100. I have not had the time to try many other uvb bulbs. Suerte JK[/QUOTE said:
jk don't leave us hanging any details.

F

farmerjohn

Mixing hps & MH during flowering

I may have just stumbled into this situation, but when I constructed my flower room back in March, I installed 5 400W lights. 2 are hps & 3 are MH. It's 4 stations with a floater MH. The idea was to move flowering plants through 2 stations on each side of the room. It hasn't exactly gone like I planned, since moving all those plants takes time & effort, but all plants are getting both lights during flowering. Where it went a bit off track, was the over vegged Keymo that is day 56 now, I had to tie many of the top buds to the rafters. So they will finish there for 14 more days. Most everything else is day 28 & gets shuffled from hps to MH every 2 weeks. After reading this, I will finish as much of the run under MH, as possible, to see if it has any beneficiary effect. Thanks for the tip & the quote from someone who should know.
:boogie:

S

sleepyhead

your wasting your time if you have glass to air cool the hood lol it takes out the uv and you kinda want that dude just stick to using UV-B pet lamps on for 6 hours during lights on and just use the hps and get the yield you deserve with the uv crazy

peace

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

Some years ago I decided I couldn't take the yellow glare anymore.
So I flowered under a 1000W MH lamp.
I liked the results so much that I never changed back to HPS.
I went to a "warm MH" (increased red spectrum), and the results were even better.
Hope this helps.
peace

C

chranotik

this is why i like sunpulse psmh bulbs and their various spectrums, im running 1 6.4k 600w and 2 3k 600w's, and i will finish with a 10k

B

bobman

Update they have gone four light cycles with the mh and the results have been interesting. First let me tell you what I have going in this room and the results from both. I have a equal amount of plants from 2 different mothers and the strain is ss ak47 today will be day 72. One pheno group is from a mother I have already flowered and know a little about. I took the mother down at 69 days. I have not noticed any increase in trichs but i will say the smell of the plant is changing. This pheno is my cat piss pheno. Smells like walking into an old house whose owner has a few cats. After 4 days the smell of this plant is starting to change to more of a sweet, fruity, skunky smell with undertones of the cat piss.

Pheno number two is a heavy heavy sativa ak47 looks totally different, in flower, from anything I have grown before. I do not think it is going to ready until 90-100 days. This plant did not even throw pistols until day 35. This one is the plant I chose as my potential mother so I have not flowered. (Thank god I have kept all the phenos around, all of which are completely different but great, even this plant is going to special in its own way). Before I put this light over them these plants trich development was just beginning and there was very little smell from these plants. Since I switched the light trich development has exploded and the plants have become much much more fragrant. Bud development also seems to be increasing and speeding up. Now, could these changes be from the normal development of a plant that is just starting take off in flower, maybe, but the increase in smell, at the very least, I contribute to the light. Smells like sweet candy I cant get enough. Now I have a decision to make once I cut the first ones down, do I put the new plants under the mh with these or switch back to hps for a while.

B

bobman

I also want to add, because I think this is very important, this is not a generic mh. This is a ushio(i think) 6500k or 7500k conversion bulb.

R

Radio_Dread

hey bobman, after doing some more research i think i am def going to swtich out my HPS for my MH for the last 2 weeks when i flush. i just read an art. in SKUNK mag. Best of the REV vol. 2 pg101. The rev is all bout the MH through the whole veg and flower. he states " im a MH guy...and i love the MH blue for everything"...he then goes on to say that "plants get to express more of there genetic potential indoors under these MH blue bulbsas oposed to HPS bulbs...but if you had to use HPS he would use one with in enhance blue spectrum (which is what I AM using now, but plant on puttin my MH 6500k bulb in soon here. he also claims that once you try this experiment you never go back to HPS. i guess we will jsut have to wait and see. this was just for FYI from the REV in skunk mag. oh and i forgot to mention she really says MH works great for sativa plants and sativa dom plants too.

Crysmatic

Crysmatic

so blue enhances terpene production...which is usually linked to thc. another member (bigkuz) has noticed his custom led light produces stronger, stinkier bud than hps.

B

bobman

dread thanks for the info. I would recommend trying it it will not hurt. i think a lot of people ideas of mh is based on the older generic 3000-4200k spectrum ones. I am noticing today a little more leafy growth and several buds are turning a lighter green. I did a little research as well and the rev aka rolanterroy (a breeder as well) said different spectrums cause the plant to eat more of one kind of nutrient. Higher K's cause the plant to uptake more nitrogen. That is what he/she says anyway.

I am pretty sure they have put on more weight. I thought these plants were going to come in at 20-25 grams now I think more like 25-30 grams. They are taking longer than there mother to finish but I am not sure that is because of the light, a heavy prune at 42 days or I picked the mother a little early.

I would say its true about the sativas. They are loving this light.

thetreegrowerrr

thetreegrowerrr

i have grown under MH straight through buds were airy in my opinion compared to HPS.
good luck

Top Bottom