Just switched my hps for mh for the last week of flowering

• Thread starter bobman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sh2ft2

i have done both ways my self. I believe the dual spectrum for flowering is the way to go. My first grow was with 400mh + 400hps hortilux bulbs and the smoke was kill. then i had a grow that was 400mh+400mh the whole way out the yield wasnt as great, smoke was good. there was some mishaps along the way. recently i helped my friend setup his room and he is at week 6 now with a dual-arc bulb from ushio 1000watt and that is the shit im starting to believe. the buds are big and fat and the room just punches you with a smell that blows your mind away. Im a believer in the usuage of uvb bulbs in the room too. myself i havent had the opportuninty but. I think if you can throw it different spectrums at the times and have the cash flow and time to set it all up it would be worth while to have those dual arcs with uvb. not a big fan of just hps all the way in flowering. it still gets the job done but why not dance with your girls in the room and try to make them as happy as possible. you know they do take care of us all the time

R

righteous buds

I must chime in on this. I used a mixed HPS and MH on my plants this grow. Each bulb was a 400 watt and they were on throughout flower (65 to 70 days). Strains were strawberry bubba kush (OGR), AK-48 and Bubblelicious(Nirvana fems). My end product can be seen in my grow log. The jar cure, fragrance, and high are all exceptional for all three strains. The 800 mixed watts produced six excellent plants. I agree with DJ Short and I want to grow some of his dank too.

this mixtures of lights sounds good, did U have one 400 watt Hps above the plants n a couple 400 watt M/H, on the sides. i have a 430 watt Hortulux, with a lumatek ballast, its also got a SL, for extra high output. i want to get every ounce that i can out of my plants, so im setting myself up, before i grow. the mixture sounds awsome, do u have any pic's of the out come of the plants. i build my own tents, so i would have it the size i need , with out worrying about the money. i like to experiment, do different things, to see the difference n also if one way is better then the other.

righteous buds :stonedsmilie:

S

standaman601

ok here is what dj short says. i do not want to start misinformation. i pulled this from another site but saw the quote from his book myself.

In DJ Shorts book Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis an expert Breeder Shares his Secrets.He writes My personal preference is for a combination of 430-watt, horizontally mounted HPS systems coupled with 400-watt, vertically mounted MH systems in small spaced flower cycles.This combination seems to utilize the best of both worlds.(End quote). Later on in the book he writes Many indoor growers try to get their budding plants as close to the light source (HID) as possible.Though this may increase bulk production of both bud and trichome, I find that this practice tends to destroy many of the finer aromatic qualities of the herb. Buds to close to the light tend to express nothing beyond the lower, lemon/lime aromas of the fruity spectrum-sometimes no better than a strong chemical/astringent odor and flavor-especially those under HPS light systems. The finer berry flavors tend to flavor more distance from the HID bulb(preferably High Ultraviolet Metal Halide light systems) especially during the latter stages of flowering. end quote

He also writes "I have also observed that the MH systems tend to produce more colorful finished products(blues, reds and purples)when used either alone or in conjunction with HPS systems in the flower cycle."
I just put my plants under mh this past week. I notice more trichomes and a hint of blue on every bud in just 4 to 5 days. Was just an experiment. My dark time temps are low also. That might be tbe cause for color change also

john martin

john martin

I noticed with some trial and error that MH whole time = like mentioned less yield and like mentioned more leafy. HPS beginning and MH very end helps with trichome production or elongation a bit, but still loose yield and some density, so I think it's weird someone said above they see density increase by adding MH at the end.

Even alternating 1 MH to every 3 HPS I noticed the issues mentioned above.

I can see where 400W or less bulbs would help with not having too much MH, but also being able to evenly distribute it.

I personally settled with mix of 4 HPS to 1 LED, and have some UVB bulbs mixed in. Seems to work well so far.

Top Bottom