Kens Gdp Revival By Malamus

• Thread starter malamus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FarmeR.Jay

FarmeR.Jay

Might have to ask @zeke about the real.

You can still get seeds from GDP seeds I think? DVG might still be messing with it.

From what I've seen with the whole fiasco most people, including me, are avoiding new batches of seeds if possible due to not really knowing what you're going to get, I'm sure Cali has plenty of clones though.

Colorado has a GDP clone but I don't know much about it other than it's dark and dank. I haven't stabilized the GDP in my seed line because the hybrids are way better than either parent.
Damn it I was really intersted in the gdp by ken estes. Then there's another site that claims that anothe guy by the name of jojo rizzo

malamus

malamus

Damn it I was really intersted in the gdp by ken estes. Then there's another site that claims that anothe guy by the name of jojo rizzo
If you want it bad enough it's not hard to make, find a nice stable purple plant strain(many options online) and cross with a strong fruity skunk. Bonus points if you do what Ken didn't and make sure the parents are stable to give a real F1

malamus

malamus

If you want it bad enough it's not hard to make, find a nice stable purple plant strain(many options online) and cross with a strong fruity skunk. Bonus points if you do what Ken didn't and make sure the parents are stable to give a real F1
FYI I haven't done this because I have no need to, my Romulan Jr line basically replaced the skunk with romulan genes, which results in a better GDP IMO. Better growth, smell, yield, taste, high. Maybe not as purple

M

MamaBear

Ken's GDP is some pretty good stuff, not the strongest I've ever had but the balance of the high is wonderful and I especially love that it wears off clean. It's the best I've found for body aches, muscle tension and bi-polar. It's the one I keep coming back to.
I've found it great for breeding too. Yeah, Ken's seeds may not be stable but some of us like pheno hunting! I wish people would stop giving the man so much crap. I'm just thankful he makes the genetics available - even if we have to dig for it. Might take a while but there's definitely some nice gold nuggets in there!
After working with it for several years in-breeding it, I opened another breeder pack this spring. I've got 8 going right now (out of 10-pack), 4 weeks old from seed. Looks like I've got 4 diff phenos this round. Couple of them have interesting leaf variation. I'll get on the pics and try to post the grow.

malamus

malamus

Ken's GDP is some pretty good stuff, not the strongest I've ever had but the balance of the high is wonderful and I especially love that it wears off clean. It's the best I've found for body aches, muscle tension and bi-polar. It's the one I keep coming back to.
I've found it great for breeding too. Yeah, Ken's seeds may not be stable but some of us like pheno hunting! I wish people would stop giving the man so much crap. I'm just thankful he makes the genetics available - even if we have to dig for it. Might take a while but there's definitely some nice gold nuggets in there!
After working with it for several years in-breeding it, I opened another breeder pack this spring. I've got 8 going right now (out of 10-pack), 4 weeks old from seed. Looks like I've got 4 diff phenos this round. Couple of them have interesting leaf variation. I'll get on the pics and try to post the grow.
You are correct, if you like pheno hunting Ken's can be a fun journey :). There are some gems in there, I'm using one so can't say it's all bad.

Just different perspectives, I myself never have enough time for doing everything I do (of which growing is a very small part). I don't appreciate paying for the privilege of doing the breeders selections, ain't nobody got time for that!

FarmeR.Jay

FarmeR.Jay

I would definitely like to grab me 10pack of his seeds & grow them out looking for a keeper pheno

malamus

malamus

okay so...i fucked up a little bit. just haven't been able to pay enough attention recently due to all of the other stuff i do. the list isn't long, but unique and each thing requires a lot of energy, and i just haven't been putting enough into the grow. i ended up losing all 6 of my fire og F2s, a few DP mazars, and some freebie Sleestack x Skunk due to my attempt to force not so good quality ingredients into my growing process to cut corners. microlife died, the soil just killed anything in there, and i had to start over.

not all is lost, however. i still managed to get a mildly respectable flower cycle that is about 3-4 weeks from completion. not anywhere as dense or yielding as a i wanted in terms of plant count or g/W, but at least quality is going back up. 3 concords (black domina X cheese X GDP) and 3 Extra Terrestrials (Sour Rom x GDP) and two test plants one ET and one Funky Town (Mystery Sativa x GDP). these smell a lot better than the last indigo / maple leaf round, and they better with all the babying i had to do (no ac in the CO summer). all concords are much better than the last two test phenos, so it's fairly variable, while the ETs are more predictable with one definite Grand Dent pheno appearing again. the other two big ETs are 50 phenos, with one leaning towards a Grand Dent flavor profile (more sweet grape cotton candy), and another towards the Romulan JR (more passion fruit/tropical). very nice confirmations of the strength/dominance of the Grand Dent and Rom JR genetics. unfortunately this means that the original Cobalt pheno, the Sour Rom on steroids with GDP thrown in for fun and my personal favorite, is not as prevalent and indeed i saw no evidence of it this go around. the indigo line does carry most of the cobalt genetics in a pretty stable line, but it's not the wild ride that the Cobalt was.

one thing learned from the flowering cycle is just how off these runts i kept mentioning really are. the things just don't grow, and obviously require a different feeding regimen. i feed all my plants the same amounts of fertilizer, in order to detect ones that require different levels, and the runts can never be in a happy state when fed the same as the others. i have an upload here to show, from front to back, 2 Concord runts and 1 regular, it's pretty amazing what the size and color difference is. the nute burns/clawing on the runts are just how they behave. it's not lockup because they definitely appreciate the nutes, but just going even slightly above what they liked would bring out the claw, and any little bit under they lost their green like *that*.
Runts

these runts are unbelievably strong in smell, but half the size of the regular version, and hopefully will make good meds. they're on track to finish in 2-3 weeks and look like they will be finished in 6 weeks like the fast Rom JR pheno, but i want to give them a little more time to make sure.

i had to change up my new veg seedlings as i wasn't about to risk my viet-thai with the valentine's day massacre that was my last seed planting, the new things in veg are:

4x Centennial Seeds Otto #1 - will cross any good females to the 2nd to last vial of my Ken's. if i get one high cbd pheno out of the cross that has the GDP awesomeness then i'll be a happy camper
TESTING - new strains I have no idea the performance of. since i couldnt risk rare seeds yet i threw in stuff i haven't been able to try out that had plently of backups.
3x Dutch Passion Strawberry Cough Indica Pheno X GDP - hoping this one is more vigorous and potent than the sativa version. vigor is there, just waiting on them to mature to start guessing potency.
2x Strawberry Lemonade X Romulan from Green Tree Medicinals in Boulder - rescued these babies from a friend who left about 6-8 barely viable seeds. 2 made it through my heavy handed seeding round, with one an obvious favorite for becoming a very strong indica. crossing fingers that it's a female that i can clone. have two more seeds in backup just in case.
1 Centennial Seeds Rio Negro X Romulan JR - this one always ends up dying/neglected. trying to do right by it and see it through to harvest. i feel like this line has a lot of potential due to the insane terpenoid combinations of pinene with copious myrcene both at very high levels, but just haven't been able to confirm.
3x "Colorado outdoor" - currently unknown strain presumably crossed to my GDP by a friend, will need to communicate to confirm lineage.
3x "GD x CH" - currently unknown strain presumably crossed to my GDP by a friend, will need to communicate to confirm lineage
3x Godfather - Grandfather Clock GDP BX Pheno X Romulan JR GDP Bx Pheno - really excited for this one as it's the first inbreeding of the line, just testing to see how the cross worked and so far i see some sexy indica legs.

Last edited:
malamus

malamus

a lot of work doing this stuff, much respect to the seed banks that get out multiple stable strains. once i'm finished with this next round i'm changing up to mono crops of seeds while beginning the search for good moms. i'll most likely be focusing on the Col X Rom Jr, ETs, Funky Towns, and Concords.

not so much personally interested in the coughs or the n lights X GDP i never got around to trying out. the coughs are delicious and hopefully the indica cross will make me want to horde them, but so far i see no reason for keeping a tight lid on those lines. i could see a couple others like the maple leaf and mazar F1s possibly being enjoyable, i'll be sorting out what i think works in the future.

keep following and if the powers that be bless me i will probably be feeling a little....testy later this year once i switch over to mono crops/clones :)

M

MamaBear

Good luck - hope things work out. Best way to learn a lesson is to royally F it up! Good call on slimming down. It's hard to keep up with so many even if that's all you did all day. I'm sure you'll find some good moms. I'm doing the same thing this year - fewer strains but more of them to find excellent moms. I'm finding the 'runts' are coming along very nice and have stronger smells. I wouldn't keep them if they were doing the freaky stuff yours are though. SMALL is OK but sickly looking gets the chop! I don't want plants that need excessive babying.
You're gonna have loads of fun testing all those this fall!

malamus

malamus

Gdp seed making was a success, got a full purple pheno on my first go. It is definitely a diff selection than the kens, compared to the gdp dominant hybrids my selection has increased branching from the sour rom, a more indica lean, and evenly distributed colas. Also, no more skunk odor, just sweet grapes. The original gdp was prone to weakish branching, had purple calyxes only, top heavy colas with popcorn lowers, and a very sativa look. Now that i have the genes in stable seed form they will be used as breeding stock for adding density, color, and flavor to sativas. And oh man do I have some sativas to add it to.

As for the original ken's I'm still stretching the last vial, pollinated a beautiful Centennial Seeds Otto #1 with it. This pheno was a crazy sativa, hitting 4.5 ft easy in a 1 gal pot with a month a veg. I'm expecting a hybrid with good vigor and gdp-ness and hoping for a good cbd/thc/terpene profile. Originally I did say that doing a bx2 was pointless, and I still think so, but I diiid end up accidentally pollinating the Godmother with some ken's. Those seeds will stay in the bucket for now, maybe someday I'll get around to it. Last thing i'm doing with the ken's is going balls to the wall and mixing it with a skunk. I figured that after spending all the time removing the skunk from it, I have a pretty good idea of what would actually work well with it. I'll be crossing my last bit-o ken's with Sweet Seeds Green Poison, going for maximum sweetness/terpenes.

quick notes in case anyone cares about gdp hybrid performance

strawberry cough indica x gdp - resin bomb, up there with the DP mazar x gdp and mystery sativa x gdp. crazy strong strawberry smell with sugary grape background. The gdp essentially made the s cough exactly how I wanted it to really be. Much preferred vs the sativa pheno cross.

gd x ch - The uknown cross with gdp, I'm suspecting the Ch is a chem something or the other. Just rotten, fuely, lemony, funk from both test phenos. The green pheno had a garlic/onion and lemony smell, while the purple pheno had a straight kush profile. Same growth pattern, the gdp was not really dominant. Both phenos were super dense and vigorous, hands down if I HAD to choose only one hybrid, this would be it. It's just hits excellence on too many marks.

Both of these show how awesome the gdp can be contributing just a little bit to the gene pool.

Centennial Seeds Rio Negro Columbian x GDP BX1 Rom Jr pheno - Finally got a test plant of this flowered. Very interesting, seems so far to be a straight hybrid, with traits from both: gdp growth structure, purpling, grape (not sweet) and passionfruit (from the sour rom) aromas, and heavily increased bud density with Columbian bud structure and pinene. Increased yield vs either parent, definite hybrid vigor. Letting this one go a little longer as I'm expecting it to turn out sativa. Came out much nicer than expected, hoping it is sativa enough to serve as a replacement for the Sour Rom Rom x GDP pheno.

jtrey

jtrey

Gdp seed making was a success, got a full purple pheno on my first go. It is definitely a diff selection than the kens, compared to the gdp dominant hybrids my selection has increased branching from the sour rom, a more indica lean, and evenly distributed colas. Also, no more skunk odor, just sweet grapes. The original gdp was prone to weakish branching, had purple calyxes only, top heavy colas with popcorn lowers, and a very sativa look. Now that i have the genes in stable seed form they will be used as breeding stock for adding density, color, and flavor to sativas. And oh man do I have some sativas to add it to.

As for the original ken's I'm still stretching the last vial, pollinated a beautiful Centennial Seeds Otto #1 with it. This pheno was a crazy sativa, hitting 4.5 ft easy in a 1 gal pot with a month a veg. I'm expecting a hybrid with good vigor and gdp-ness and hoping for a good cbd/thc/terpene profile. Originally I did say that doing a bx2 was pointless, and I still think so, but I diiid end up accidentally pollinating the Godmother with some ken's. Those seeds will stay in the bucket for now, maybe someday I'll get around to it. Last thing i'm doing with the ken's is going balls to the wall and mixing it with a skunk. I figured that after spending all the time removing the skunk from it, I have a pretty good idea of what would actually work well with it. I'll be crossing my last bit-o ken's with Sweet Seeds Green Poison, going for maximum sweetness/terpenes.

quick notes in case anyone cares about gdp hybrid performance

strawberry cough indica x gdp - resin bomb, up there with the DP mazar x gdp and mystery sativa x gdp. crazy strong strawberry smell with sugary grape background. The gdp essentially made the s cough exactly how I wanted it to really be. Much preferred vs the sativa pheno cross.

gd x ch - The uknown cross with gdp, I'm suspecting the Ch is a chem something or the other. Just rotten, fuely, lemony, funk from both test phenos. The green pheno had a garlic/onion and lemony smell, while the purple pheno had a straight kush profile. Same growth pattern, the gdp was not really dominant. Both phenos were super dense and vigorous, hands down if I HAD to choose only one hybrid, this would be it. It's just hits excellence on too many marks.

Both of these show how awesome the gdp can be contributing just a little bit to the gene pool.

Centennial Seeds Rio Negro Columbian x GDP BX1 Rom Jr pheno - Finally got a test plant of this flowered. Very interesting, seems so far to be a straight hybrid, with traits from both: gdp growth structure, purpling, grape (not sweet) and passionfruit (from the sour rom) aromas, and heavily increased bud density with Columbian bud structure and pinene. Increased yield vs either parent, definite hybrid vigor. Letting this one go a little longer as I'm expecting it to turn out sativa. Came out much nicer than expected, hoping it is sativa enough to serve as a replacement for the Sour Rom Rom x GDP pheno.
Those crosses look fire! Did you get the mother out of a gdp pack? If so how many beans did you run?

malamus

malamus

Those crosses look fire! Did you get the mother out of a gdp pack? If so how many beans did you run?
godmother is my own inbred line, created from a male found in a ten pack of ken's circa 2013. Only 2/10 sprouted, one green and one purple

malamus

malamus

GDP88
just wanted to show how it colors in 100 degree CO summer
Gdp88 bud1

Gdp88 bud2

It was the most GDP like of the mistakingly made GDP88s, I crossed it with my Ken's to make some GDP94s and hopefully some final selections.

malamus

malamus

Also grew out and tested a Grotto (Otto x GDP), approx 7% cbd and 4% thc which was as good as I could hope for. Will work on that line later to try to find max cannabinoids and most balanced ratios.

malamus

malamus

GDP Breeding Formula
Romulan S1 x GDP (S1s were from very stable stock) -> F1
GDP Pheno F1 x GDP -> BX1
BX1 x BX1 -> F2
F2 x GDP -> BX2(ish) - GDP88s
GDP88s x GDP -> GDP94s

having a male makes it much easier to make seed clones it seems

M

MamaBear

Beautiful! I think this is the longest, hottest summer we've had in while.

malamus

malamus

just a small update. going to be taking a break as the new place is no growing and it's nice enough that it's not worth trying to be sneaky.

made some 94 x ken's so 97's at this point. ripening as we speak. i'll be back with some gpd grows after a few years.

wanted to shout out @homebrew420. sick seeds, if you can get them. one of my last plants was his viet thai x mygdp and it. is. sick. right up there with the Rom x GDP, purple as hell, amazing unique taste and powerful stone.

IMG 20180210 121551 1
IMG 20180210 122041
IMG 20180218 080118

malamus

malamus

had to share a photo of my Rom x GDP f1, 4 weeks flowering with proper temp control

Rom gdp 1

Top Bottom