Kief to Hash Oil experiments

• Thread starter DeFerrett
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DeFerrett

DeFerrett

Hello guys I have been experimenting with turning unpressed kief into dabble hash oil, I'm using girlscoutcookies kief it has a very nice savoring aroma.. So first I took a gram of kief and put it in a mason jar and added 95% ethanol an shook for aprx 3 minutes , after I strained it through my 25 micron screen & an unbleached coffee filter, then let it air evap the ethanol when there was only white left over water I placed it on a double boiler very low temp until all was gone scraped an placed onto my silicon mat to dry the extraction pulled 45% an was dark golden and was snap consistency I could bend an break like shatter but still had a slight I guess taffy like consistency when pulled slow but broke when pulled fast I could handle it with ungloved hands without it sticking so it was very stable it retained hints of its original kief Taste an smell but nothing like the original also the kief color was was golden blonde yet the oil was a darker gold very dark where it was thicker where as I thought it would be somewhat lighter the effects were amazing very potent starting in the face then working to the body. I redid the extraction with 10 grams of kief and got the same results in every aspect except getting 46%. So on the third extraction I used ten grams again but winterized the enthanol solution kief In all after strained an evaped place on double boiler this time noticed a lack minute dark specs so it did remove slight lipids fats and waxes but not many after scraping got the same result in color and consistency maybe slightly less taffy like but still had slight pull this time it pulled 45% , so it's currntly tacked up with direct fan on it to get any remaining moisture an is being flipped daily, it peels off in one piece tho. So after letting the strained material dry each weighed the remaining 64&65% of the beginning ten grams.. It looked like the starting kief without its golden look after looking at it closely with a fine microscope then at kief it looks to me like a skeleton like THC shell like the ethanol permeated the shell an took the essential oil with it. So I'm wondering if anyone could verify that or anything really haha, and I'm also wondering if the left over material could have any CBD's or CBN's left In it that could be used for something else .. As for the oil I'm wondering if maybe using butane first then winterizing would make the oil a lighter color or pull more terps for flavor an aroma I have enough kief to try different extractions methods or tweeks so any input would be greatly appreciated. Please no negative or rude comments good vibes only. Let's get the best we can out of this thread, thanks everyone

dabs4life

dabs4life

only thing ill add is use lots of air movement and whipping to lose the etoh but no heat. it will be crumble when youre done but man going no heat makes a difference. keeps terps

DeFerrett

DeFerrett

This is the kief then winterized oil and then the left over material after extraction. Yes exactly which is what is wanted in the end the winterized run has been fan drying for about 60hrs now and is now very brittle more shattery then before still very clear I'm happy with how it came out but would really like to see if I can get the color lighter like the starting kief or even more original flavor I even used no heat to evap.. Is the ethanol stripping some flavor away or not pulling it with the extraction?

dabs4life

dabs4life

i dont know specifics but someone else should.

i think my etoh comes out softer than the bho if that makes sense on the taste smell but after all the processing the bho it loses depth as well.

the colder and longer your soak times without passing into hay tasting zone then without winterizing it do the no heat purge for best results.
took me a while to realize all that heat and winterizing removes realy good stuff imo.

same reason dab heads mix anything winterized with wax thats still intact.

DeFerrett

DeFerrett

Yeah that makes sense, so today the winterized is completely glass any small bend cause clean breaks it has the almost the exact same taste an smell as the unwinterized run , because I started with kief there was almost zero lipids I'm guessing so maybe that is why I feel like I'm not getting full flavor . I did another 32 gram run and winterized it for longer about 36 hrs strains last night and air evaped the etho now waiting for the milky left over water to finish evap, so this batch actually has a little more smell then the last ones atleast I think so the color is still dark Gold tho I'm starting to think I'm not going to be able to get the color any lighter even if I start with butane

dabs4life

dabs4life

i have no idea but i come to your place and be tester dummy number one

A

AlterEgo860

View attachment 436443 View attachment 436442 View attachment 436444 This is the kief then winterized oil and then the left over material after extraction. Yes exactly which is what is wanted in the end the winterized run has been fan drying for about 60hrs now and is now very brittle more shattery then before still very clear I'm happy with how it came out but would really like to see if I can get the color lighter like the starting kief or even more original flavor I even used no heat to evap.. Is the ethanol stripping some flavor away or not pulling it with the extraction?

just so you now.. color on kief extracts isn't light.. lol.. I don't know why.. but every single run.. that I add keif to my tubes.. or just do a thermos soak with kief.. ends up way darker then my bud or trim runs..

so if your starting material smells better then the kief your making.. then just run that with bho.. I found this out the hard way lol.. I ran 120 grams of kief.. in 4 tubes.. with bud.. and got DARK AMBER Taffy .. and it was GREAT.. but DARK..

did 1 of my tubes. just straight nug.. . same EXACT MATERIAL... the kief.. came from the same buds.. I just wanted to SAVE on BUTANE....

and the fucking nug tube.. came out GOLDEN.. the added kief tubes came out atleast 3x darker.. no idea why.. no clue.. a lot of my friends are seeing the EXACT same results.. so we been running nugs instead..

now im trying LIVE EXTRACTS.. supposed to be SUPER LIGHT COLOR. and 3-4 x more terpenes.. means runny product.. but taste and smell make it worth the hassel of dealing with sappy material..

BuckP

BuckP

I've been experimenting with extending the life of kief by storing in a refrigerator at 42 degrees. Just tried 2 yo kief and it still rocks. It's possible the t has deteriorated to some extent but even if it's degraded from, say, 60% t to 30%, that's still a wallop.

One swell discovery is in using straight, unprocessed kief for baking. It rocks, thank you Betty Crocker! I've experimented with using from 6-12 g's of kief in a 13x9 batch of brownies with great success. Brownies are often so strong that for a pleasant effect you can eat only 1/8th brownie - a small lady friend cuts them into 16ths. A entire brownie (or even half) is a full day "commitment" and a screamin' intense high all day long. Love not having to mess with the mess of butter.

Btw, one recent discovery is using olive oil in the Betty, I increase it from 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup + a bit more water to create a longer baking time and a better consistency of the brownies. I then whisk the kief into the oil until it appears well mixed. This places it directly in contact with the binding agent which is then very evenly distributed within the batch.

I do believe it's best when you extract the kief then make edibles immediately so there's no reduction of intensity yet it still works fine for a good long while if you've stored in dark storage at a very cool temp.

I've noticed some strains are much better for kief just as strains vary when smoking or vaping. I've made edibles with many strains but thus far the most pleasant - consistently - has been Sour Diesel kief brownies. Very pleasant even if more ripped than intended... Your personal tastes may vary.

Sorry, this is not about converting kief to oil but there are other nice ways to use kief. Making canna butter the old fashioned way on the stove is a messy pain you can skip if you use straight kief.

DragonKilla

DragonKilla

Both your starting material and our end product look great dude. Nice work!

Top Bottom