Killing off all pollen in a room

• Thread starter Magi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Magi

Magi

So recently I grew out some Tropicana Cookies. While most of em did well one chose to hermi a little (didn't even notice it till I trimmed). I've left the room to sit empty with everything turned off for 2 weeks to prevent pollen getting on the next run. I'm running high humidity. temperature. no airflow and wiping the walls with water that I can reach. Am I safe from any pollen affecting the next run? some say its 3 days, 1 week, 2, even months or years till pollen dies. So what's actually correct, and when should I be safe to move my stuff outta the veg room and into the flower room?

Farmer88

Farmer88

Use medical grade alcohol. Make sure any surfaces you have will not have a reaction before you purchace. You can use ethenol, methanol or gasoline but the smell will be not so great.

DistyDemon

DistyDemon

Water negates pollen. It's as easy as that.

WTF washes their grow room with gasoline, methanol, or alcohol. Are you FN kidding me? What has happened to the next gen of growers? Pass the torch huh, riiiiight!

Homesteader

Homesteader

I would just clean the room with soap and water. Air it out and plant. You can spray bleach after if you prefer. Get a ladder if you have any surface above that collects dust like hooks or hangers.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
... you could kill all pollen by sending my mom in law into the room, she seems to have that effect...

Farmer88

Farmer88

Water negates pollen. It's as easy as that.

WTF washes their grow room with gasoline, methanol, or alcohol. Are you FN kidding me? What has happened to the next gen of growers? Pass the torch huh, riiiiight!

So, water does not negate pollen. It would be rather difficult for a plant to beed if the fertilizer is destroyed by the stuff that falls from the sky. Using alchohol compounds will remove any of the stickiness. You certainly can use methenol or gasoline in a pinch. But it wasnt recommended. The medical grade alcohol will sterilize the room of any latent bacteria viruses or fungus spores and wont leave a residue like a bleach solution, which is also an option. And as far as the next generation of growers, I'm pretty certain you've never run a commercial horticultural or agricultural opperation.

Magi

Magi

Isn't there a certain time they become less viable to not at all? I was planning on picking up a clean spray bottle and do a 1 to 3 mix of iso to distilled water to do a full wipe down anyway to prevent mold, pests, etc. Only problem is, is that I cant get into some spaces in that room so would upping humidity and temps to 90F 85 R/H help? or is it a waste of time? Btw I just became legal to do all this so yeah fully new grower here with only a year down haha

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
from what i read, water does indeed make the pollen not viable. as for the plant and stuff that falls from the sky, that is why so much pollen and so light that wind carries it... it is the plants effort to get its genes out there, it produces a gazillion little pollen particles and hopes for a few plants.

as for alcohol, rather an overkill, if you feel like water is not how you want to do it, you can use peroxide and water, or even a touch of soap, both will take care of this stickiness you have.

if you use google scholar, refine search to canada and unis, they have done lots on establishing the viability of pollen, and how to store it and what conditions to gather it, but all say water is how to make it not viable.

Farmer88

Farmer88

WATER KILLS POLLEN AND MAKES IT INERT.

Thanks for playing. Please stop with the bro-science bs please. Omg what's happened to this site

Inert isnt the same as clean. No bro science here. Again, you've never worked in a laboratory setting. Or commercial. It's ok, your mom won't tell anyone about your grow in her basement.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
lol, as with everything, it is just what the farmer wants to do.

no need to get so offended. no one will hit you if your beliefs are different!

the digs are sort of fun, a bit entertaining... it is as though you really think that type talk will change a mind or educate a farmer, mostly it just makes you a bit... well, special is a word...

Farmer88

Farmer88

from what i read, water does indeed make the pollen not viable. as for the plant and stuff that falls from the sky, that is why so much pollen and so light that wind carries it... it is the plants effort to get its genes out there, it produces a gazillion little pollen particles and hopes for a few plants.

as for alcohol, rather an overkill, if you feel like water is not how you want to do it, you can use peroxide and water, or even a touch of soap, both will take care of this stickiness you have.

if you use google scholar, refine search to canada and unis, they have done lots on establishing the viability of pollen, and how to store it and what conditions to gather it, but all say water is how to make it not viable.

Peroxide would not really be sufficient in removing the actual matter. The reason for alcohol compounds is it works as a solvent to remove any residual matter that may be left behind that can breed bacteria and fungus. I think I was unclear in conveying my thoughts.

My issue with just water is it's not 100%. Even durring a rain the entirety of the pollen will not become inert even if it is a majority. By sterilizing, previous variables in the grow room are eliminated and make future diagnosis simpler down the line.

Farmer88

Farmer88

lol, as with everything, it is just what the farmer wants to do.

no need to get so offended. no one will hit you if your beliefs are different!

the digs are sort of fun, a bit entertaining... it is as though you really think that type talk will change a mind or educate a farmer, mostly it just makes you a bit... well, special is a word...

I don't think I was impolite until pressed upon.

DistyDemon

DistyDemon

Inert isnt the same as clean. No bro science here. Again, you've never worked in a laboratory setting. Or commercial. It's ok, your mom won't tell anyone about your grow in her basement.
I do OWN and WORK in a LEGAL cannabis lab, as well as OWN and run a LEGAL grow op.

Thanks for playing

Inert means NOT viable. If its NOT viable, means it wont pollinate anything.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
when you speak of peoples mothers and basements... im guessing you did in fact behave without impunity. in mentioning pouring gas on your grow tent as a "viable" option, you indeed were not "pressed upon" you were poked at for pasting a "pour gas on it" post. and people stuck, for the most part, to making a lark of the statement you posted - not of you, no one made light of your circumstances or your mother or your basement... just maybe take it with aplomb, state your case for a carcinogen for pollen removal, and that removing it as opposed to making it nonviable is some point to argue. but you sank to mother comments...

even if you are right and we should all dump gas on things, accusations of bro science and insulting all and sundry and assuming no one grows but you, seems a bit off putting, but mother mentioning is definitely off putting.

Top Bottom