Killing pest with CO2

• Thread starter 5ecret 5quirrel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

just bought a co2 tank to kill some pesky pests. Thought i would ask for some advice being this is my first time. this is what i read

"bringing the CO2 to 10,000 ppm for 15 minutes to kill all pests. You must vent out the CO2 before entering the room. Two applications, five days apart, will kill all mites, pests and their offspring."

does this sound right? the plan is to do it at dark hours since the stomata's for the plants should be closed.

P

paulycali

So what are you going to do? Just turn the tank on full blast and let her rip. I wonder how you will know your co2 levels are at 12000 ppm's. I think letting her rip will fill the room will mass amounts of co2. Could be more than 12000 ppm's. Good luck and let us know how this process turns out. Thanks for sharing

5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

yep, i’m going to seal the room up a bit more proper, so i don’t kill myself and scream fire in the hole pull the pin and roll that bad boy in! set the timer on the exhaust fan to pull out the co2 in 15 min

waayne

waayne

Toxicity

• It takes extremely high concentrations of carbon dioxide to affect plant life. After an extended period of time when exposed to 10,000 ppm (parts per million) of carbon dioxide in the air, some plants begin to show signs of distress. These symptoms can be anything from a 25-percent reduction in yield to zebra striping on the leaves.
Secret Squirrel you may want to consider moving your plants out of the room you're gassing or​
at least,carefully monitor the PPM levels because excessive
Co2 levels can definitely cause problems​
for your plants.....

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

try putting a large garbage bag over the plants sealing it. then blast those fuckers with co2.

if you have some webbing from mites, you can take a nylon stocking and put it over the end of a vacuum house and go to town getting rid of the web's.

Can you get anything better than the co2 in China?

seems like you need to kill the adults, then wait for there eggs to hatch and kill the babies. then what?

southstreets

southstreets

Yea tbh I'd just buy some pyrithium bombs and order avid... If ur not in flower that is... Good luck with getting rid of the pests!

V

vino

ive wasted many bottles of CO2 trying this trick. pretty big waste. Your best bet if your going to do it, is what smokey said- but a garbGe bag around each plant .

BirdDog1

BirdDog1

c02 gassing doesnt work. youre better off ordering a pesticide from the internet or trying to make your own natural pesticide out of hot peppers or even tobacco.

I have seen a ton of people try this, not one succeeded. One dude let loose two 50lb bottles in a 20x20 room until they were gone......came back in the morning and the fuckers were still alive. Don't waste the gas. Just get on a regular weekly spraying schedule with a good organic spray that will suffocate the living mites and their eggs....your mite troubles are over. Just make sure to not only hit the bottom of the leaves (most important) but the stems/stalk/soil/tray/pots-bags and walls. I also give them a light mist across the top that will dry quickly, too much on top will burn the pistols. I haven't had mite problems in years, but I spray every week weather I see mite damage or not. I add 1/4 strength nutes, and PH the mix so the plants get a folier feed and a pest treatment.

Good luck either way!

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

In my experience, CO2 gassing doesn't even effect them.

After battling the fuckers for over a year, cleaning the rooms between each run best we could wasn't working. I would say do not waste your time fighting spiders, if your not too late in flower restart everything if possible, and completely bleach or alcohol your rooms, and everything in them. Blast some pyrith bombs and bring in new plants.

Use caps bennies in your routing spraying to keep them away before it even starts. Keep rooms clean, you should not see them again. NEVER visit another garden with mites and ALWAYS change or even shower before entering your rooms in the summer. Good luck with the mites, they have a tendency to sneak back up on you late in flower..

BirdDog1

BirdDog1

In my experience, CO2 gassing doesn't even effect them.

After battling the fuckers for over a year, cleaning the rooms between each run best we could wasn't working. I would say do not waste your time fighting spiders, if your not too late in flower restart everything if possible, and completely bleach or alcohol your rooms, and everything in them. Blast some pyrith bombs and bring in new plants.

Use caps bennies in your routing spraying to keep them away before it even starts. Keep rooms clean, you should not see them again. NEVER visit another garden with mites and ALWAYS change or even shower before entering your rooms in the summer. Good luck with the mites, they have a tendency to sneak back up on you late in flower..

Ya, I completely sanitize my rooms each time I change over. It's a pain but everything comes out and every inch and everything that's going in the room gets sprayed with pesticide. It's the only time I use chem pesticide. I still have to spray every week during the grow, oil based sufficant, not chemical...... cuz if you use dirt, you will get mites. Over time it becomes routine and I wouldn't otherwise folier feed and I noticed that the plants love a folier feed every week.

KUSHPILES

KUSHPILES

Ya, I completely sanitize my rooms each time I change over. It's a pain but everything comes out and every inch and everything that's going in the room gets sprayed with pesticide. It's the only time I use chem pesticide. I still have to spray every week during the grow, oil based sufficant, not chemical...... cuz if you use dirt, you will get mites. Over time it becomes routine and I wouldn't otherwise folier feed and I noticed that the plants love a folier feed every week.
Which chem product do you spray in particular? I have yet to found one I am happy with.. and the store guys wont sell you anything that actually works, or they wouldn't have you coming back. Also interested in a cheaper surfactant. Cap mentioned Yucca but i have not seen it.

BirdDog1

BirdDog1

I use several chems. I have 3-4 different ones I picked up at Lowes/Home Depot. As long the bottle has Aphids listed it's good to go. I make sure to rotate and never spray the same one twice because the mites can build a tolerance. I use one, then the next, then the next and back to the first.

Now as far as oil based, i'm going to give you a golden nugget. I don't tell anyone about this shit, seriously, this is the first time......but I've learned so much here at the farm, here you go:

54021a.jpg

This shit puts ANY hydro store "organic" miticide to SHAME. I get it at Abate-A-Weed, but I have seen it at some nurseries. Sometimes it can be hard to find, but FIND IT. Make sure it's 80% petroleum. Monterey company makes several types of "organic" insecticide so make sure to get the one pictured.....and stock up. It is a petroleum based product so you do have to quit 2 weeks out. I folier feed with plain water every other day during flush to make sure to wash off the remaining residue. You will be stoked, and never need any other product. Keep this one to yourselves ;)

BD

ttystikk

ttystikk

Azamax is also effective as a horticultural oil based miticide- in this case, an oil based concentrate from the neem tree.. I use it by itself, and to extend the effectiveness of other pesticides.

BirdDog1

BirdDog1

Azamax is also effective as a horticultural oil based miticide- in this case, an oil based concentrate from the neem tree.. I use it by itself, and to extend the effectiveness of other pesticides.

I was using Axamax before I found Saf T Side. Try it brother, you will be STOKED! And is like 6 bucks for a quart.

Edit: left out quart

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

If you have mites you need to use a knock down KILLER! All the other stuff may or may not work, I say this as I have not used everything out there but they only help control not kill. In my experience you need to destroy spider mites the first time. Azamax is good if you want an organic killer but my money has always been on Avid. Avid is safe to use up to 5 days before harvest. Green houses have used it on vegetables for 20 years. I hate chemicals but when dealing with spider mites those little fuckers have more lives than a cat and are stronger than Superman. So I nuke them and that's that. Sure you can mess around with all kinds of things but tic tock time is wasting.

The have a life span of 5 to 8 days but as soon as they feel threatened the breed and start poping out eggs that hatch in 5 to 7 days and it all stars again. You need to use a systemic killer!

Fig 1 spider mites
Fig 3 spider mite damage
Fig2 twospotted spider mites
Images

ttystikk

ttystikk

I think this is a myth. I keep hearing about how high co2 levels will kill pests, but I've never seen or heard of anyone who was actually successful.

Top Bottom