Kim's Beginner Diary

• Thread starter KLight03
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KLight03

KLight03

You dont need any fancy equipment for smaller amounts. Put bud/trim in five gallon bucket with ice water and stir, switching directions every minute or so, until the ice is mostly melted. Then pour the ice water and bud/trim mixture into your bags like Frenchy shows in the video and the rest is the same. I do this last part in the shower so that I have access to the shower head for spraying and the open drain for run off. You are only going to get a small fraction of hash compared to the weight of the material you started with using the ice water method, probably between 5-10% and thats after a few washes. So if you start with an ounce expect between 1.4-2.8 grams, maybe a little more if you bud/trim is particularly potent. You can continue to do more washes but they have significantly diminishing returns after the first few. The other option I mentioned earlier is to dry the washed bud and further process it with dry ice.

When using the dry ice method I can usually extract 20% or more of the weight of the starting material into some nice hash. Out of an ounce I can easily pull over 5 grams in about 10 minutes where it could take over 5 hours to get maybe half as much per oz using the ice water method. You can do either method with pretty much any amount but I would recommend staying between 1 and 4 ounces when using these standard size hash bags.
Do I need to cure the trim first? Or put in the oven?

KLight03

KLight03

Went to go move the plants around in the tent earlier and discovered some black mildew all along one side of the tent. I made the decision then and there that it was time to start harvesting. I have broken down all three of the PC. I've got the two SSSD (the one giant and the one little) and Blue Gelato still sitting. I will break them down tomorrow. I have got to remove everyone, clean from top to bottom and move the tent. I have a sneaking suspicion that the carpet underneath the tent may be wet. I don't want to get started again and fight mildew. If only I wasn't renting right now, I'd rip out the carpet anyway. I don't like it no matter what. It holds too many allergens and it's a pain in the ass with dogs.

Still trying to save the babies. Looks like I'm making headway. They go into soil tomorrow. I don't want to move them in their current state while they decide to stay or go. Do y'all see these mini things flowering?? What is up with that?

Anyway...this is what I've done. Feel free to send some constructive criticism my way. Here's to hoping something will work in my favor with the smoke. I'm trying to cure two separate ways to see if there is a difference. I hope I remember to separate them. That's PC in the closet. That stuff is FULL of trichomes that get everywhere. They are so thick with them that they just pull off by themselves. No tools needed if you don't mind resin stuck to your fingers all day.

I hope y'all are doing alright. Peace be with you.

IMG 20200425 210715
IMG 20200425 210724
IMG 20200425 210758
IMG 20200425 210800
IMG 20200425 210804
IMG 20200425 210808
IMG 20200425 210834
IMG 20200425 210843
IMG 20200425 210848
IMG 20200425 210853
IMG 20200425 210857
IMG 20200425 210859
Screenshot 20200425 210950
Screenshot 20200425 211039
Screenshot 20200425 211101
Screenshot 20200425 211202
KLight03

KLight03

It just has to be dry, will work whether its cured or not. No reason to put it in the oven, its a terrible way to dry or cure bud if thats what you are asking.
I've never been a fan of it myself. The cleaner the better. I am very interested in this technique, but I am not sure my brain has a good grasp of what's happening yet as far as the physical part of what you are describing. I would get the buckets, then bang them around in my shower with some dry ice and trim? What would I use as a sieve?

FourthCity

FourthCity

I've never been a fan of it myself. The cleaner the better. I am very interested in this technique, but I am not sure my brain has a good grasp of what's happening yet as far as the physical part of what you are describing. I would get the buckets, then bang them around in my shower with some dry ice and trim? What would I use as a sieve?
From your question it sounds like you haven't read the how to guide I made that was quoted by DreamsofDiesel earlier in this thread or watched the video I posted by Frenchy Cannoli. It kinda seems like you have just picked up bits and pieces of information from whats been posted about the two different methods (dry ice and ice water) and merged them together which would be understandably confusing, it also makes it difficult for me to answer your question without reexplaining everything. Please read my whole "how to" for dry ice as well as watch the whole video by Frenchy and then if you have any questions about a specific part it will be easier to help.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey k , were you able to find any decent seeds in your harvest ? They might be visible if you dig into the calyx , a little bit ...
The little pod that the white / amber hairs are protruding from ....

dire wolf

dire wolf

Also congratulations on your finished grow , not bad , you will have a few jars of fine bud , always a good feeling , later after cure you can describe the tetpines and aromas ....should be interesting,
I personally think you did enough for one grow and give pressing and hashmaking a shot next time , why not just take the time on focusing on a nice dry and cure effort....
Any way , nice work .....👍

KLight03

KLight03

From your question it sounds like you haven't read the how to guide I made that was quoted by DreamsofDiesel earlier in this thread or watched the video I posted by Frenchy Cannoli. It kinda seems like you have just picked up bits and pieces of information from whats been posted about the two different methods (dry ice and ice water) and merged them together which would be understandably confusing, it also makes it difficult for me to answer your question without reexplaining everything. Please read my whole "how to" for dry ice as well as watch the whole video by Frenchy and then if you have any questions about a specific part it will be easier to help.
You would be correct in the grasping, but also incorrect in that I actually read every single thing written and watched the entire 1:38 min and some seconds of video. I have retrograde cognitive deficiencies due to Parkinson's. Maybe you haven't read all about me? Haha!

I will eek it all out once it settles into my head.

Thank you for your patience.

KLight03

KLight03

Also congratulations on your finished grow , not bad , you will have a few jars of fine bud , always a good feeling , later after cure you can describe the tetpines and aromas ....should be interesting,
I personally think you did enough for one grow and give pressing and hashmaking a shot next time , why not just take the time on focusing on a nice dry and cure effort....
Any way , nice work .....👍
Yes, I am taking the time to learn the theory behind it, but once things settle a bit, I will see about a hash project. I have a lot of logs on the fire as it is. No worries there..

KLight03

KLight03

I am really really hoping there isn't mildew in between the carpet and the tent.

The plus side is, I sent an email to Opulent and they have asked me some questions thus far. We shall have to see what comes of it. I feel like they might send me another one. Fingers crossed.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

You would be correct in the grasping, but also incorrect in that I actually read every single thing written and watched the entire 1:38 min and some seconds of video. I have retrograde cognitive deficiencies due to Parkinson's. Maybe you haven't read all about me? Haha!

I'll help you figure out out, itll be easy after you do it once, stick with dry ice method 1st time if possible, easier I think

KLight03

KLight03

I'll help you figure out out, itll be easy after you do it once, stick with dry ice method 1st time if possible, easier I think
Thank you!

It's interesting to note that I learned it's the stuff in the middle that I have a hard time grasping in the old memory bucket. I think there's a term for it, but I can't remember it at the moment. Hahahaha! I kill me. 😁

FourthCity

FourthCity

I have not read through the whole thread, only here because DOD quoted my trim/hash/rosin thread. What you have told me gives a little more context to the situation, maybe the best thing to do would be to review the relevant guide when you are ready to make that type of hash and then follow the steps like a recipe in real time, or look at it like simon says. Don't overthink it, my guide and Frenchy's video may seem complicated but the basics of each method are pretty simple. Honestly, you don't even have to learn anything or even really understand whats happening, if you just focus on following the instructions the first couple times youll still get good results and it might take out some of the stress. I do stand by the last part of what I said in my last post, especially considering your condition, reviewing the provided material in this thread to see if the question you are thinking has been already answered should only serve to reinforce the information, then if there is something that is still unclear you can reference it in a post and get a much more helpful answer that is less likely to cause further confusion.

Top Bottom