Kinda surprised to find myself here

• Thread starter ArtfulCodger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

Hey all,

Until recently, I wouldn't have imagined that I'd be joining a weed growing forum, but here we are. I'm a relatively old guy. I smoked regularly 30+ years ago and thought I was done with it. Then two of my family members became medical users and my state (MA) legalized growing, which is good because otherwise I think we'd end up in the poor house. Growing my own makes sense financially, and it's the kind of rabbit hole I tend to jump in and geek out on. I fly-fish, bake bread, build PCs, make virtual choirs, etc. If any of you thought you were the newest noob on this forum, I guarantee you have just been out-noobed. I've been googling for about a week, and I still don't even know what I don't know. Everything I thought I knew about weed is from the 80s, so it's all new to me.

My tentative plan is to get a small tent kit, probably a 2x2, and set it up in my basement. I'll try a first small grow from seeds, trying to keep it simple. Not sure I have a whole lot to contribute to the forum at this point. I very much appreciate all the knowledge and expertise everyone shares, and I'll just keep soaking it up.

Be well,
Chris

R

redshift75

go 4x4 if you can for economic reasons. It's the price break to grow tents for the best SQ ft most times. Unless you can find some sweet deals. 2x2 for me is 1 plant bottlenecked 4x4 is about 2 plants for me which I'm going 1 plant in this season per 4x4 for most of them. So id makes sure you really go for the value of your equipment if you need to be financially smart about it. I've purchased 12 opulent brand tents. Have others viparspectra, coolgrow, mars hydro. Just really like the opulent tent price every time I'm buying and the quality is the best with only the mars matching it. Their customer service when I was missing some stuff from an amazon order was good like 4 days they had me the 3 replacement parts. They are currently sending me a 4x8 tent cover cause one I bought had pinholes. So they sent me one they "guarantee to be lightproof". I just bought more of my lights on 4/20 for 42.50+ tax. for expansion. So overall just have to find the right price point and for that, I'd say try to find 4x4. Also, the amount of light you can fight in a 4x4 if you go quantum will grow some better buds all day. Just my advice. Unless you 100% can only go 2x2. No judgment I understand.

edit: or even 4x2 is a better footprint but not a price point for economy+ scalability.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey all,

Until recently, I wouldn't have imagined that I'd be joining a weed growing forum, but here we are. I'm a relatively old guy. I smoked regularly 30+ years ago and thought I was done with it. Then two of my family members became medical users and my state (MA) legalized growing, which is good because otherwise I think we'd end up in the poor house. Growing my own makes sense financially, and it's the kind of rabbit hole I tend to jump in and geek out on. I fly-fish, bake bread, build PCs, make virtual choirs, etc. If any of you thought you were the newest noob on this forum, I guarantee you have just been out-noobed. I've been googling for about a week, and I still don't even know what I don't know. Everything I thought I knew about weed is from the 80s, so it's all new to me.

My tentative plan is to get a small tent kit, probably a 2x2, and set it up in my basement. I'll try a first small grow from seeds, trying to keep it simple. Not sure I have a whole lot to contribute to the forum at this point. I very much appreciate all the knowledge and expertise everyone shares, and I'll just keep soaking it up.

Be well,
Chris
Hey c , at least we can talk fishing if the growing dosent work out ......

dire wolf

dire wolf

Try some auto flowers for your first grow to keep it simple! :)
Hey dspuccch
I respectfully disagree with this advice , I'd go with a dozen good regular seeds and experience the entire roller coaster of male and female sexing , and pheno hunting , and seeing what this plant is all about ....
Granted it will be more stressful , but starting old school will make you a stronger grower .....

CannabinoidCarson33

CannabinoidCarson33

I would also say that a 4x4 is a great option. I have both a 4x4 and a 2x2 and IMO the smaller tent can seem a bit tight for more than a few plants. The 4x4 allows for a bit of space and they aren't too pricey.

I too am a newb and knew SO LITTLE about 4 months ago it was kinda scary. After meeting a few AMAZING people on this site, I'm proud to say that I'm on day 30 of flower today in my personal 4x4 on my FIRST GROW!

It's totally doable and as long as you put some time into learning a few crucial things and always remember to ASK THE GROWERS HERE FOR HELP whenever you need it. This site has some SERIOUSLY GOOD GROWERS and to top it off, they are chill ass dudes willing to help.

I personally began growing to stop having two pay those RIDICULOUSLY high prices at the dispensaries charge but now, after growing for a bit I'm absolutely in love with the entire process. It's such a rewarding hobby with UNLIMITED things to learn.

Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

I also agree with you on going with the regular seeds. I am a new grower and began with 10 regular seeds and a clone about 3 months ago. I was able to learn so much as a new grower and would recommend the same to any 1st timer. Also, I believe yield is bigger on photos than with autos right?...
That's awesome ...and come to think of it that's a new twist I didn't think of ....get a clone if you can , that way you have the roller coaster experience of regular seeds which will keep you on your toes for all future grows , and with one clone , you'll have pretty much a guarantee of one great no -fail plant in the tent , so that's it ...
A few reg seeds , ten seeds is a good number and one clone
You will just have to bring the clone into the picture at around week three or four of the veg cycle so the seedlings and clone have equall maturity time
Ok Artful.. Time to geek out !😜

R

redshift75

check it the lights i got for cheap to keep my expansion going are here.

still currently at time of me posting on sale. I've got 14 or 16 of them. started with 4 and every time I can grab them on a deal I do. The trick is you have to check out multiple times to keep getting the 15% off its 1 per order. but you can order 100 if you'd like. I'm all about cost analysis in your grow and I haven't found anything that beats those currently for the price point. I mean you can spend better money on better products but these will get you further for less. Just thought id share since budgets were brought up. Hard to beat this price when its at this deal. I don't expect it to be on there much longer at that price.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087JKDVTF/

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
go 4x4 if you can for economic reasons. It's the price break to grow tents for the best SQ ft most times. Unless you can find some sweet deals. 2x2 for me is 1 plant bottlenecked 4x4 is about 2 plants for me which I'm going 1 plant in this season per 4x4 for most of them. So id makes sure you really go for the value of your equipment if you need to be financially smart about it. I've purchased 12 opulent brand tents. Have others viparspectra, coolgrow, mars hydro. Just really like the opulent tent price every time I'm buying and the quality is the best with only the mars matching it. Their customer service when I was missing some stuff from an amazon order was good like 4 days they had me the 3 replacement parts. They are currently sending me a 4x8 tent cover cause one I bought had pinholes. So they sent me one they "guarantee to be lightproof". I just bought more of my lights on 4/20 for 42.50+ tax. for expansion. So overall just have to find the right price point and for that, I'd say try to find 4x4. Also, the amount of light you can fight in a 4x4 if you go quantum will grow some better buds all day. Just my advice. Unless you 100% can only go 2x2. No judgment I understand.

edit: or even 4x2 is a better footprint but not a price point for economy+ scalability.
Take my word for it don’t skimp on the light or LED for growing!! Don’t buy a 60$ Amazon LED I’m telling you man your plants will thank you! I’m new but I learned early on and the hard way thankfully I had a new better LED shipped to my door in time to save my grow from being little spindly twigs fighting for the little bit of light that’s probably centered at one small spot in the very middle.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Take my word for it don’t skimp on the light or LED for growing!! Don’t buy a 60$ Amazon LED I’m telling you man your plants will thank you! I’m new but I learned early on and the hard way thankfully I had a new better LED shipped to my door in time to save my grow from being little spindly twigs fighting for the little bit of light that’s probably centered at one small spot in the very middle.
Starting with a inferior light is one of the biggest mistakes and most discouraging to new growers.

D

dspucch

Hey dspuccch
I respectfully disagree with this advice , I'd go with a dozen good regular seeds and experience the entire roller coaster of male and female sexing , and pheno hunting , and seeing what this plant is all about ....
Granted it will be more stressful , but starting old school will make you a stronger grower .....
ya know, didnt even think of all that, i was looking at the "Easier" route and not the learning experience, and thats what i should of been looking at for a new grower.

R

redshift75

In my opinion you have to learn to buy the proper lights for $60 and i feel that is the huge difference lost often. Thats why a full spectrum light meter not an intensity meter so many people use are the right way to go. Think how many people spend $40 to tell them the light is bright. Thats the beauty of it all you can put opinion aside every time and use science to judge. I personally believe the quantum apogee meter. But if you dont have an apogee meter is a simple method everyone can do to check how good their lights are.

induce cold temps wait for phosphorus deficiency(i mistakenly always call it potassium deficiency). you can see 2 lamps penetrates well below 50% of the canopy at 80% output any higher top buds get scorched. every leaf turning purple is indicating its getting full light.
Neither of these were twigs clinging for light thats only about $95 in lights. There is a small screw in light in this tent. But that is a cheap light. I hang down for bottom buds.

king brite style panels that i never have gone over 80% intensity on didnt need to. these were the photos before i got sick and was out for 2 months. but they filled the tent by time they finished about 4-6 weeks after this was taken. depended on the plant and we do cut backs so we start at the top work our way down. I couldnt do it but thats what they did to help me.

Then you compare them to outdoors using the sun as our benchmark. Dont mind the wind damage.

all of those plants were grown under full deficiency in my tents from cold temps Fully finished. $40 lights compare to the $160 lights that honestly have more uniform coverage for some good buds over the sun growing in tents without the losses from the wind. So lots of benefit to the tent than outdoors when we compare the damage/ losses of au natural growth.

i mean sure you can buy a kingbrite style. Or you can save 61.2245% and buy something thats within 20% of a kingbrite. You can get pretty close to the same conditions as the sun. obviously the sun going to be a bit more intense(*sarcasm). ITS THE SUN!

im ok with the kingbrites i own 12 of the style but for 61.2245% less i can buy 2 of those and the money i save can buy even more lights increase my ability to pump wattage and lighting efficiency. Its relative. Just have to look for the right lights at the right price point. No one should be afraid to save money. Thats why i try so many lights so i can go through the crap to find the gold.

In capitalism never equate price to quality. Low price doesnt mean low quality and high price doesnt mean high quality. This is a common consumer misconception. Cost benefit analysis is the way to go in these situations. If spending 2000% more doesnt equate to 2000% more in production. You wasted your resources. But if spending 2000% more gives you 2000% higher quality it can definitely be worth it. There is more metrics in the equation than just final produciton numbers. because genetics and all those factors.

So i agree with it in the spiritual sense not to skimp on lights. But will say you can grow some great buds with entry level priced lights. over spending 61.2245% more for the preferred quantum variant. I can guarantee they arent producing 61.2245% more buds. Its like 7% more in a king brite tent vs any thing else blurple,cheap lights. Lots of tents lots of data. quality was relative from the testing i had done. within 1% of each other. So my growing routine and conditions were able to achieve the same quality across the board.

It really ventures on unethical the claimed gains some people make (not in this instance but search the forum) people claim one light has from another. But if you write out all the numbers its BS time and time again and psuedo science.

when people say my $200 light out performs their previous $40 light is not a person on this forum that will prove those lights are outputting 133.333% more production from the switch. its possible if we are talking scam brands and not name brands with somewhat ethical lights regardless of style. But it can however have the ability to achieve 133.333% higher quality buds. But they all can grow high quality buds. Every style of lights its been done by someone. It takes some understanding not being under wattage or not over packing em with plants. far too often people are being unrealistic about their equipments abilities and try to push more out of the space than capable. Thats never the lights fault but the growers. You pack 10 plants under 1 small light and wonder why they wont grow into giant plants its not the cheap lights fault. But we all blame it on cheap lights. There definitely is cheap cheap crappy lights tho. But dont be afraid to save. Science is our friend.

Disclaimer:
every time it gets brought it up i will keep bringing up this as a reference. This is in no way a negativity towards anyone. In no way do i hope this was written in a way that makes it come across as negative to any individuals. Just sharing my ideology on applying real metrics and data to how we approach equipment buying. I personally believe that efficiency is the key to high GPW(grams per watt) + GPL (grams per light) & that everyone is capable of being efficient with whatever they grow with. But all the data for the pros/cons is there no matter the choice and can be made to work. As long as they are realistic about their equipments abilities as well as their own.

We cant help them before the forum avoid those cheap crappy lights. But we certainly can help them find lights within those price points that are the best offerings available to fit any budget. In no way is any entry point at any budget a negative on individuals for trying to start somewhere. My personal buying is between those 2 price points. Im either buying a cheap entry level light to get a new tent expansion going or im saving up to upgrade them to real quantum boards. The key to growing is space and time. Cant waste either of them to be truly successful.

much love and respect - Red

dire wolf

dire wolf

ya know, didnt even think of all that, i was looking at the "Easier" route and not the learning experience, and thats what i should of been looking at for a new grower.
Hey dspuccch , cool ... But don't get me wrong either , I've suggested autos to a lot of people as a first grow choice , when I estimate the growers real interest , like , for instance ... Does he or she just want to casually grow some bud or if they are in a short season outdoor grow where they can't finish a regular photoperiod plant , or if I sense they don't have the ability or interest to continue growing...so in that case , I've recommended autos , it's not a bad suggestion , I just feel like with artfuls introduction , that he's going to geek out and pour a lot of energy and interest in the plant and the grow , so I felt like he could have more material to work with going the slightly tougher way with regs or photoperiod seed start than the somewhat easier auto flower route
But in truth , there is a value to suggesting autos to many people and I don't disagree with your suggestion , I more or less interpret your suggestion as a kind way to get a new grower going with the best chance of sucess and a harvest

Top Bottom