Kingbrite review

• Thread starter ZenSunniWanderer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FourthCity

FourthCity

I'm looking at probably picking up one of these, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Did some more research and now I understand 660nm red LEDs are helpful to my ladies throughout an entire grow.

What is the difference between 3000K/3500K/4000K?
Is it worth the extra $80 for Cree on a first grow? (Still not certain I understand what Cree is, and I've read through like 40 pages of this thread)

View attachment 1073850
View attachment 1073851
Get the cheaper plain white one, 3500k will be best for veg and flower, no the red light is not worth the cost difference but I would spend the extra $12 to get the 301h version instead of the 301b (301h is a little newer and more efficient). Cree is just the brand of diode like samsung, lg, osram, epistar, etc.

sealab

sealab

Get the cheaper plain white one, 3500k will be best for veg and flower, no the red light is not worth the cost difference but I would spend the extra $12 to get the 301h version instead of the 301b (301h is a little newer and more efficient). Cree is just the brand of diode like samsung, lg, osram, epistar, etc.
Thanks for the info @FourthCity, lots of knowledgeable LED growers on this forum. For 301h/b it seems the plain white and red 660nm are the same price. For growing through a full veg/flower cycle, you still think the plain white is superior even at the same price point?

I thought I saw an @Aqua Man post that the red 660nm is just plain better than white.

Last edited:
FourthCity

FourthCity

Thanks for the info @FourthCity, lots of knowledgeable LED growers on this forum. For 301h/b it seems the plain white and red 660nm are the same price. For growing through a full veg/flower cycle, you still think the plain white is superior even at the same price point?

I thought I saw an @Aqua Man post that the red 660nm is just plain better than white.
Yes I still think the plain white is better. The ones you are looking at use the epistar diodes that will reduce the lifespan of the board by roughly half. Im not saying the red light isn't beneficial I'm saying it's not worth the extra cost or sacrifice in reliability on these specific lights. Its like if you play basketball with your friends, sure maybe a $300 shoe is better than a $150 shoe but how much will it really improve your game and is it worth the extra money? The base lights offer an exceptional value but you get diminishing returns for your money with the extra options.

Also, all the studies I have seen discuss the benefits of additional red light. These boards dont have additional red light, the red diodes replace what would otherwise be white diodes so there is some trade off in the loss of full spectrum light.

sealab

sealab

Yes I still think the plain white is better. The ones you are looking at use the epistar diodes that will reduce the lifespan of the board by roughly half. Im not saying the red light isn't beneficial I'm saying it's not worth the extra cost or sacrifice in reliability on these specific lights. Its like if you play basketball with your friends, sure maybe a $300 shoe is better than a $150 shoe but how much will it really improve your game and is it worth the extra money? The base lights offer an exceptional value but you get diminishing returns for your money with the extra options.

Also, all the studies I have seen discuss the benefits of additional red light. These boards dont have additional red light, the red diodes replace what would otherwise be white diodes so there is some trade off in the loss of full spectrum light.
Great clarification, thanks for the follow-up.

Backonroids

Backonroids

Just thought I'd share the kingbrites I just received. Changing over from some QBs to these in a new room build. 480W each, 3500k with epistar. 4 of 5 are pictured, I bought one before the other 4. One light per 3x3 tray once I finish the plants I have going. Current plants are Monkey Mints from Exotic Genetix in coco/prelite. Don't mind my makeshift scrogs and drain stands lol, had to get these plants going and didn't have time to build my scrog frames yet. Still gotta mount the other driver.

whitexcloud

whitexcloud

is there a reason you went for these instead of QB's? ? They are alot more expensive so I stick with the QB's, the 240w fixtures have the best price per unit.

Backonroids

Backonroids

is there a reason you went for these instead of QB's? ? They are alot more expensive so I stick with the QB's, the 240w fixtures have the best price per unit.
Better light spread, they can be closer to the plants making the ppfd better, no hot spots. The bars are also individually adjustable on the frame which I like. I’m sure I’m missing a few advantages. But one of the main ones is distance from plants because I’m pretty limited on height

whitexcloud

whitexcloud

Better light spread, they can be closer to the plants making the ppfd better, no hot spots. The bars are also individually adjustable on the frame which I like. I’m sure I’m missing a few advantages. But one of the main ones is distance from plants because I’m pretty limited on height

Thanks for that, for the most I was already aware of that information, I don't have a height requirement.

But, being closer to increase PPFD is of value to me, however for the price difference given my circumstances I think I'll stick to QB.

I do however hope that those types of fixtures come down in price.

Backonroids

Backonroids

Thanks for that, for the most I was already aware of that information, I don't have a height requirement.

But, being closer to increase PPFD is of value to me, however for the price difference given my circumstances I think I'll stick to QB.

I do however hope that those types of fixtures come down in price.
I’m sure they will when something new comes along lol. For the order of 4 I paid $1600 with shipping. Once I get them all up and running I’ll start a grow log, but just running 2 for now, and a kingbrite 320w over a tray of 3 more plants not in the picture

whitexcloud

whitexcloud

I’m sure they will when something new comes along lol. For the order of 4 I paid $1600 with shipping. Once I get them all up and running I’ll start a grow log, but just running 2 for now, and a kingbrite 320w over a tray of 3 more plants not in the picture
I've recently acquired some grow logging software so will be taking a better log of my grow after this.

I have some seeds getting germed for the one after that which is what I'm looking forward to.

For my circumstance I think I'm going to get a custom fabricated rails for my QB's and put them into a single fixture. Hopefully in future I'll get some bars but for the price/performance argument I can't disagree with my QB's.

Backonroids

Backonroids

I've recently acquired some grow logging software so will be taking a better log of my grow after this.

I have some seeds getting germed for the one after that which is what I'm looking forward to.

For my circumstance I think I'm going to get a custom fabricated rails for my QB's and put them into a single fixture. Hopefully in future I'll get some bars but for the price/performance argument I can't disagree with my QB's.
What seeds do you have germinating now? I have some runtz muffin and dos si dos 33 from barneys farm that I will be cloning and growing out after this run.
You can't really go wrong with either one man!

whitexcloud

whitexcloud

What seeds do you have germinating now? I have some runtz muffin and dos si dos 33 from barneys farm that I will be cloning and growing out after this run.
You can't really go wrong with either one man!
I almost got Dos si dos.

Have some genuine imported Criticals, some white strawberries, blue widow and one other that I can't remember at the moment.

I've started outsourcing my seedling/cloning/veg so the seeds are with a friend right now.

When I do a reorder I will of course get The Incredible Bulk again, that is a fucking weapon right there! Love it and always reorder, unfortunately I got a bit overzealous watering my seeds and it did not survive this time :( .... lessons were learned :(

whitexcloud

whitexcloud

Just thought I'd share the kingbrites I just received. Changing over from some QBs to these in a new room build. 480W each, 3500k with epistar. 4 of 5 are pictured, I bought one before the other 4. One light per 3x3 tray once I finish the plants I have going. Current plants are Monkey Mints from Exotic Genetix in coco/prelite. Don't mind my makeshift scrogs and drain stands lol, had to get these plants going and didn't have time to build my scrog frames yet. Still gotta mount the other driver.

I was going to comment about how much you defoliated, but then remembered my first (last) crop with theses 240w fixtures and they have a very narrow area where it goes from arm sized cola's to nothing almost instantly (i'd say 40cm or 1 and 1/4 ft maybe even less)

Backonroids

Backonroids

I almost got Dos si dos.

Have some genuine imported Criticals, some white strawberries, blue widow and one other that I can't remember at the moment.

I've started outsourcing my seedling/cloning/veg so the seeds are with a friend right now.

When I do a reorder I will of course get The Incredible Bulk again, that is a fucking weapon right there! Love it and always reorder, unfortunately I got a bit overzealous watering my seeds and it did not survive this time :( .... lessons were learned :(
I was going to comment about how much you defoliated, but then remembered my first (last) crop with theses 240w fixtures and they have a very narrow area where it goes from arm sized cola's to nothing almost instantly (i'd say 40cm or 1 and 1/4 ft maybe even less)

Sounds like some good strains. Outsourcing meaning you let them grow over at your friends until you're ready to put them in flower? I just put a Ethos GG4 in water too lol.

I like to defol quite a bit, usually anything under the first net. I don't like trimming larfy nugs, and stripping all that pushes more growth to the top, resulting in just full main colas. These plants are 6 days into 12/12, I do one more defol around day 21 to clean up the rest of the bottoms of stuff that isn't going to push through the nets.

whitexcloud

whitexcloud

Sounds like some good strains. Outsourcing meaning you let them grow over at your friends until you're ready to put them in flower? I just put a Ethos GG4 in water too lol.

I like to defol quite a bit, usually anything under the first net. I don't like trimming larfy nugs, and stripping all that pushes more growth to the top, resulting in just full main colas. These plants are 6 days into 12/12, I do one more defol around day 21 to clean up the rest of the bottoms of stuff that isn't going to push through the nets.

Yes, He's an old school grower, sent him some of my kit that was now surplus to assist. I don't have the space so it's better to outsource and turnover more flower cycles per year ( lets hope for 6 in 2021 )

I will just be using the critical until I can source some more incredible bulk. Haven't used critical yet but I hope that it is as good if not better than bulk.

I am probably due to do another one then, however I've been a bit slack and haven't even touched two of them yet. I want to do a side by side comparison and see the difference if possible.

I've set my holes to do the scrog netting at 2ft/600mm 2.5/750mm and 3.5/1000mm. I've already realized I hate this setup, but It's just a mickey mouse setup until I import some more lights after this grow. I will be running 5 lights at this point, I have the current 3500k's however the next ones I order will just be 3000k + epistar 660nm and I will get two custom brackets done (3.5ft and 4ft) to even the light distribution and make hanging easier.

I'm hoping this is the worst crop of the year, After my last monster (check previous grow log) I have set myself a goal of sorts. I don't need to get them that big but production of 1lb/3.5-4ft is my goal going forwards.

I will space lights 3000k/3500k/3000k/3500k/3000k for the setup, however after some review I would like to pass on my 480w of lm301h + ir + uv in favor of some more 3000k's (so i'll look for someone to sell them to) lol

BernardMarx

BernardMarx

Looks nice ! I'm flirting with those as well. How's the build quality ?

I'm still not sure if one 600w kit would suffice for a 5x5 room ? Or better to take two 480w kits .... ? The more light the better I guess. The advantage would be that I can alway dim thus extending the lifespan of the LED's.

Somewhere in another forum some guy advised adding one or two bars to the kit to reduce the current on each bar and also extending the lifespan of the bars. You would still get 480w (or 600w depending on the kit). You'd get a better spread aswell.

Any opinions ?

Moshmen

Moshmen

Looks nice ! I'm flirting with those as well. How's the build quality ?

I'm still not sure if one 600w kit would suffice for a 5x5 room ? Or better to take two 480w kits .... ? The more light the better I guess. The advantage would be that I can alway dim thus extending the lifespan of the LED's.

Somewhere in another forum some guy advised adding one or two bars to the kit to reduce the current on each bar and also extending the lifespan of the bars. You would still get 480w (or 600w depending on the kit). You'd get a better spread aswell.

Any opinions ?
2 480’s gives ya more versatile

dusty68

dusty68

Did I make a mistake buying a HLG 550 last year for a 4x4? This is my first grow with it and the grow could be going better. I also added one of those HLG30 bars (UVA) for the last 2-3 weeks of flower. I am in my first week of flower. I tired mainlining some sour diesel and sour kosher than going to the SCROG. the stretch is just starting so will be lowering my trellis today. I hope this HLG isn't the reason things are going slow. It's brighter than shit and Like the company, and was expensive (even on sale). Hopefully it was the mainlining and last that slowed the veg stage down? Looking for some thoughts from experienced growers. Not the guys arguing and swearing at each other. thank you in advance buzz buddies!
Dusty

Backonroids

Backonroids

Did I make a mistake buying a HLG 550 last year for a 4x4? This is my first grow with it and the grow could be going better. I also added one of those HLG30 bars (UVA) for the last 2-3 weeks of flower. I am in my first week of flower. I tired mainlining some sour diesel and sour kosher than going to the SCROG. the stretch is just starting so will be lowering my trellis today. I hope this HLG isn't the reason things are going slow. It's brighter than shit and Like the company, and was expensive (even on sale). Hopefully it was the mainlining and last that slowed the veg stage down? Looking for some thoughts from experienced growers. Not the guys arguing and swearing at each other. thank you in advance buzz buddies!
Dusty
Not a mistake in buying that light, mainlining extends the veg time quite a bit in the one time I tried it lol. Didn't feel like the end results were worth the extra time in veg tho.

Top Bottom