KNF fermentation, lets have a discussion.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've been doing a bit of reading up on knf recently, surprisingly I only learned about it a couple weeks ago. I'm what I would consider a fairly advanced homebrewer and have a fairly extensive knowledge base about fermentation, as well as a vast collection of brewing yeast varities.

I'm hoping I might be able to use some of that knowledge and apply it to knf fermentations, but I'm still somewhat new to this so I'd love to hear from the farmers who use knf brews to see the hows and what's of what you're doing. The general idea I get, how to source ingredients for different stages of growth etc, what interests me the most is the technical aspects of the fermentation. What yeast varieties do people use, or do you just rely on wild yeast and bacteria? Do you follow sanitation protocols for brewing? Is there a target specific gravity? I'm assuming the mash isnt pasteurized first to keep the enzymes and microbes alive..

Maybe I'm over thinking some of the processes, but as a beer brewer my mind tends to think about fermentation from a fairly technical standpoint.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hoping this picks up because it's a very interesting topic. And if I got this right (thinking you are looking at coco) I think coco is probably one of the best if not the best media's for this type of nutrient source due to its highly oxygenated and large overall surface area being so beneficial to microbiology

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Excited to be a part of your thread, I will be sharing my various ferments here if everyone is interested.

Here is a publication on FFJ by the University of Hawaii, that will answer a lot of your questions:

For example your question about wild yeasts

Plant parts should be harvested while the plants are in respiration mode (before sunrise) and not in photosynthetic mode (during daylight), due to the effects these processes have on plant chemistry. Avoid collecting plant parts during or after rainfall (ideally, wait two sunny days after rain stops) and do not rinse collected plant parts, to conserve their surface microbial populations (lactic acid-producing bacteria and yeasts)

My first few ferments I did by the book and they all worked out well. Recently I have been more liberal with my experimentation, to make use of the resources in my yard.

Anthem

Anthem

I've been doing a bit of reading up on knf recently, surprisingly I only learned about it a couple weeks ago. I'm what I would consider a fairly advanced homebrewer and have a fairly extensive knowledge base about fermentation, as well as a vast collection of brewing yeast varities.

I'm hoping I might be able to use some of that knowledge and apply it to knf fermentations, but I'm still somewhat new to this so I'd love to hear from the farmers who use knf brews to see the hows and what's of what you're doing. The general idea I get, how to source ingredients for different stages of growth etc, what interests me the most is the technical aspects of the fermentation. What yeast varieties do people use, or do you just rely on wild yeast and bacteria? Do you follow sanitation protocols for brewing? Is there a target specific gravity? I'm assuming the mash isnt pasteurized first to keep the enzymes and microbes alive..

Maybe I'm over thinking some of the processes, but as a beer brewer my mind tends to think about fermentation from a fairly technical standpoint.
Dirtbag this guy, THCmonster has his shit together on the subject. Also you can check out Chris Trump on You Tube. I listened to a podcast last year and he was talking with the host. But to be honest THCmonster seems to have the principals down. I think he might have a couple impressive pictures on his page.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Doing a lazy mans ferment right now with some fallen apples. Basically just filled a bucket with apples and water and left it outside. I only let these go for 2 or 3 days rather than 4-7 since they progress very quickly outside and any longer they will get swarmed with flies. These ones I also use immediately instead of storing in jars.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
So as I was staring at my fathers backyard KNF came to mind. He’s got tangerines, fuji apples, white peaches, lemons, loquats, oranges, and lemon trees. I’ve got guava, dragon fruit, oranges, and a small peach tree. I guess my question is, what fruits are beneficial to cannabis and at what stages of their lives? What fruits are good and what aren’t? Or shall I read up myself haha.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
As I dig deeper into the subject, I’ll post
Some of my interesting reads. So much info. Haha

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

So as I was staring at my fathers backyard KNF came to mind. He’s got tangerines, fuji apples, white peaches, lemons, loquats, oranges, and lemon trees. I’ve got guava, dragon fruit, oranges, and a small peach tree. I guess my question is, what fruits are beneficial to cannabis and at what stages of their lives? What fruits are good and what aren’t? Or shall I read up myself haha.

Thats awesome! I have found stone fruits and apples are pretty easy to ferment. I have never tried with the tropical fruit you mentioned but I bet those would work incredibly well. The citrus might be trickier, I have heard of citrus ferments as IPM, but I have never seen a recipe.

Generally its recommended to use fermented plant juice in veg, fermented unripe fruits in transition, and fermented ripe fruits in flower.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Thats awesome! I have found stone fruits and apples are pretty easy to ferment. I have never tried with the tropical fruit you mentioned but I bet those would work incredibly well. The citrus might be trickier, I have heard of citrus ferments as IPM, but I have never seen a recipe.

Generally its recommended to use fermented plant juice in veg, fermented unripe fruits in transition, and fermented ripe fruits in flower.
Appreciate that! It’s very interesting. Utilizing our resources. Or trying to haha.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Used the plum ffj this morning.
Lol man, I was waiting for that bad boy to explode in your hand!
I've seen glass carboys explode from plugged vents before, a mason jar with a secured lid full of fermenting fruit juice is like a hand grenade! lol.

Glad it didnt. Let us know how the plants respond.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Lol man, I was waiting for that bad boy to explode in your hand!
I've seen glass carboys explode from plugged vents before, a mason jar with a secured lid full of fermenting fruit juice is like a hand grenade! lol.

Glad it didnt. Let us know how the plants respond.

Thats a good point, my friend recently had a kombucha bottle explode in her kitchen, and the shards exploded 2 empty bottles. I will be more careful going forward. Maybe open the jar and use a stirrer to suspend the bacterial sediment instead of shaking it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Thats a good point, my friend recently had a kombucha bottle explode in her kitchen, and the shards exploded 2 empty bottles. I will be more careful going forward. Maybe open the jar and use a stirrer to suspend the bacterial sediment instead of shaking it.

Look into making or buying a magnetic stirplate and an erlenmeyer flask. That's what I use for small efficient fermentations for starters for beer making, and it looks mad scientist...

Forgive the ring around the collar.. I just finished a yeast starter in it.
20200828 103204

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

Hey burnzy any way I could talk you out of couple of the white peach pits ? I would love to grow them out ! I’m serious I’d pay the shipping swap ya seeds whatever ??

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

That reminds me of a dude that I used to work with that brewed beer in the kitchen to cook with.

He'd pulled a half dozen or so bottles out and forgot about them, and didn't put them back in the cooler before service. 7:00 rolls around, he's cooking, and POP. He jumped up and ran around the corner.

POP. POP.

Followed by the rest of them exploding.

Turns out that yeast was VERY alive. 😄

Mr.Juice

Mr.Juice

I’ve looked into using yeast as well

Roses are much-prized flowering shrubs with fragrant flowers. Use a "Green" fertilizer to encourage your rose bushes to produce more buds. A mixture of brewer's yeast and water applied to rosebush roots encourages bud formation. To force buds to grow, mix 3 tbsp. yeast with 10 liters of water. To maintain blooms throughout the season, use 2-4 tbsp. yeast in 2 gallons of water and apply as soon as the bushes begin to bloom.

I grow my own fruits and make my own fruit wines as well. I’ve been composting with winemaking leftovers and will be amending my medium with it.

when it comes to beneficial microbes I go by, the more the merrier. Wine yeast, brewers yeast, bread yeast.

As for what types of food to use for the yeast, I’d think that any fruit will do. Some fruits like currants have their own natural yeasts and can be turned into wine without the addition of yeast packets. (I do anyway tho). Molasses is a tried and true additive and growing and is what I use to feed my microbes.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Hey burnzy any way I could talk you out of couple of the white peach pits ? I would love to grow them out ! I’m serious I’d pay the shipping swap ya seeds whatever ??
Yes sir. That wouldn’t be an issue. Next time I visit my dad I’ll see if I can snag a couple. Sounds good mosh.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Generally you would want to grow a rootstock variety and graft a proven cutting on to it.

Top Bottom