L.E.D. driver makes an electric buzzing, static-charge like sound, when OFF.

• Thread starter mdterpz532
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mdterpz532

So I am a newer home grower.
Owner of a 2.3x2.3 (them 3 inches matter) ts1000 and also a 4x4 tsw2000. All mars hydro gear. Everything has been fine so far except for one thing. I think one ( OF TWO) of the drivers makes a noise when you actually power the light off using the on/off switch. When the light clicks off from the timer, it's fine. It doesn't have Amy issues or noise or anything. But if you actually power the whole light off isomg the on off button, then one of the drivers starts to make a little, but quite noticeable noise.
It almost sounds like an electrical spark or a static like shock noise. I have contacted mars hydro about this issue. And although I was not satisfied with the over all conversation, it honestly to me sounded like a chap gpt bot was answering me, and I tried my best to talk to a real human but I couldn't find anything to get me to that point. Thier phone number is an answering machine. So anyways this was their reply

""Regarding your feedback, we are still looking forward to establish a friendly relationship with you. After checking with our supplier and engineering department, every power supply has the noise, but some are big and some are small.

According to the standard, is is ok that if it is less than 24DB. This is normal of you driver. At the same time, please don't worry, all of our lights have safety certificates. If you have any questions afterwards, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks for your understanding""

Any body ever have this happen to them or something similar. It almost worries my a bit. Like why does one do it and not the other? And what is actually making the noise?.
I have just ordered the fce-4800 and that is a 430 watt bar style light. I'm hoping my next harvest will just grow that much better going from a 200w board to a 430w barstyle.

Here are some of the videos I sent to them. If anyone would like more or different videos in any way just let me know and I'll make one.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Owner of a 2.3x2.3 (them 3 inches matter) ts1000 and also a 4x4 tsw2000. All mars hydro gear. Everything has been fine so far except for one thing. I think one ( OF TWO) of the drivers makes a noise when you actually power the light off using the on/off switch. When the light clicks off from the timer, it's fine. It doesn't have Amy issues or noise or anything. But if you actually power the whole light off isomg the on off button, then one of the drivers starts to make a little, but quite noticeable noise.
It almost sounds like an electrical spark or a static like shock noise. I have contacted mars hydro about this issue. And although I was not satisfied with the over all conversation, it honestly to me sounded like a chap gpt bot was answering me, and I tried my best to talk to a real human but I couldn't find anything to get me to that point. Thier phone number is an answering machine. So anyways this was their reply

""Regarding your feedback, we are still looking forward to establish a friendly relationship with you. After checking with our supplier and engineering department, every power supply has the noise, but some are big and some are small.

According to the standard, is is ok that if it is less than 24DB. This is normal of you driver. At the same time, please don't worry, all of our lights have safety certificates. If you have any questions afterwards, please feel free to contact us.

Any body ever have this happen to them or something similar. It almost worries my a bit. Like why does one do it and not the other? And what is actually making the noise?.
I have just ordered the fce-4800 and that is a 430 watt bar style light. I'm hoping my next harvest will just grow that much better going from a 200w board to a 430w barstyle.

Here are some of the videos I sent to them. If anyone would like more or different videos in any way just let me know and I'll make one.
hopefully someone chimes in and helps you out..
i’ve never used LED’s

B

BillyBanchan

I'd watch that sumbitch like a hawk... Doesn't sound right at all.

I'm one and done with Mars. I like the FC-6500 well enough, but their tents are flimsy, and there's zero customer service.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

Have you tried another outlet on for sure another breaker, I wonder if the live and neutral are reversed, most electronics will still work but when turned off the live would still be on... just a random thought.

Def would try another circuit then you can rule that out, if it's the light system for sure. It def should not make that sound when hard powered off. Is it a self contained unit? Like did you daisy chain 2 together or did it come like that plug and play? Is the timer external plug into the wall or is it part of the driver or controller? This makes me almost think it's the circuitry.

M

mdterpz532

I'd watch that sumbitch like a hawk... Doesn't sound right at all.

I'm one and done with Mars. I like the FC-6500 well enough, but their tents are flimsy, and there's zero customer service.
Who did you go with ? I just purchased another 4x4 kit but upgraded light this time.
I did try pricing out other options and kits it's just a lot and I am running out of space quick and my babies getting g root bound and not any place to up pot ATM. And yeah I am severely disappointed with thier so called customer service. I know 100% that it's only a chat bot . Every message I send to them is personalized and I'm talking to them as a human to human. But they only reply with an answer to one tenth what I actually asked them or talked to them about.
It's driving me crazy not being able to get anyone on a phone. If anyone has a rep. Or any contact information please let me know. For a rookie grower, I've given them more then enough money.. and I don't see many grow operations using 20 or 30 light counts with mars gear.. ..

Live and learn.

M

mdterpz532

Have you tried another outlet on for sure another breaker, I wonder if the live and neutral are reversed, most electronics will still work but when turned off the live would still be on... just a random thought.

Def would try another circuit then you can rule that out, if it's the light system for sure. It def should not make that sound when hard powered off. Is it a self contained unit? Like did you daisy chain 2 together or did it come like that plug and play? Is the timer external plug into the wall or is it part of the driver or controller? This makes me almost think it's the circuitry.
All came with the kit,
The tsw2000 has 2 of the drivers or ballasts or whatever they are, and one attached dimmer switch. No daisy chain attached, when I get home I'll swap to a new circuit and see.
Also the timer came with the kit but I plug timer into outlet then plug light into timer.
I wish I new electric, .I can tinker, but I like understanding and grasping what and why, I get the concept, pos and neg, but power draw and shorts and grounds get me. Watts vs volts vs ohms. Diffrent draws fron outlets to units.. 😵‍💫
I wanna bring an electrician over to make sure my three tents and all gear aren't gonna burn my house down. And I try to be particular with my wire management.

Powerstroke

Powerstroke

That's not normal. Sound like it is arcing when off. I would use only the timer until resolved. or add a powerstrip to the timer and plug the light to the powerstrip. This at least adds a means of disconnect after the timer and allows you to turn off until the issue is resolved.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
All came with the kit,
The tsw2000 has 2 of the drivers or ballasts or whatever they are, and one attached dimmer switch. No daisy chain attached, when I get home I'll swap to a new circuit and see.
Also the timer came with the kit but I plug timer into outlet then plug light into timer.
I wish I new electric, .I can tinker, but I like understanding and grasping what and why, I get the concept, pos and neg, but power draw and shorts and grounds get me. Watts vs volts vs ohms. Diffrent draws fron outlets to units.. 😵‍💫
I wanna bring an electrician over to make sure my three tents and all gear aren't gonna burn my house down. And I try to be particular with my wire management.
house burn down??
than don’t buy cheap equipment..

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

Not recommending you open anything up but just FYI white wire to long slit side black wire to short slit side if they are reversed there's ur prob if not could be an issue with the electronics in the controller like @Powerstroke said best use the timer until you get it sorted.

Are you able to run a ethernet cable into that and control it that way, should be two switches inside if so one for that and the other for the main on/off. Could help further troubleshoot.

HighVoltageSparky

HighVoltageSparky

Should there be an issue with the polarity in AC system? For a LED driver?
if this is the case for this light, it's a first for me.

If you adjust the dimmer, buzzing goes away?
Can you plug it elsewhere and test?

You still have the receipt right? : = )
In my experience, it might be a shoddy driver and could still work though for the amount of hours it's rated as. Hopefully it's not EMI noise

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

Should there be an issue with the polarity in AC system? For a LED driver?
if this is the case for this light, it's a first for me.

If you adjust the dimmer, buzzing goes away?
Can you plug it elsewhere and test?

You still have the receipt right? : = )
In my experience, it might be a shoddy driver and could still work though for the amount of hours it's rated as. Hopefully it's not EMI noise
"Should there be an issue with the polarity in AC system? For a LED driver?" <- Prob not. I think you're right, it should still work either way, I'm just wondering when it's turned off at the switch it turns off the neutral and the live is still live with no return path... still prob shouldn't do any buzzing, just a random thought I had.

I second the most likely issue being the driver or controller, but how is it getting power if it's turned off.... so maybe controller flaw instead of driver?

The mystery deepens lol

HighVoltageSparky

HighVoltageSparky

I second the most likely issue being the driver or controller, but how is it getting power if it's turned off.... so maybe controller flaw instead of driver?

The mystery deepens lol
These are questions we may never get a satisfactory answer to : = ) Just let it go. You have a 5 year warranty on these lights, correct?
I wouldn't worry too much. Electricity sucks sometimes : = )

...Having said that, it disappears after you put a socket in series with the light.... hmmm added impedance to the circuit, or a switch, kills the noise. That tells me the circuitry is inside the driver is shoddy.
Well, you'll be running the lights on this configuration right? Then i wouldn't worry at all buddy, but what did you say about wire managment on your other tents? Let me see : = )
Did you do any wiring on your own or are you like me with cables and powerstrips everywhere? : = )

HighVoltageSparky

HighVoltageSparky

Noise could come from arcing inside, one way to test this is to do a insulation test on the wire going to the lamp and basically test the wires to ground with an apparatus @ 1000 volts. At least where I'm from.
you would most likely find the fault at a lower voltage level, but i digress...
This is no help to OP though, still need a sparky friend : = )

B

BillyBanchan

Who did you go with ? I just purchased another 4x4 kit but upgraded light this time.
I did try pricing out other options and kits it's just a lot and I am running out of space quick and my babies getting g root bound and not any place to up pot ATM. And yeah I am severely disappointed with thier so called customer service. I know 100% that it's only a chat bot . Every message I send to them is personalized and I'm talking to them as a human to human. But they only reply with an answer to one tenth what I actually asked them or talked to them about.
It's driving me crazy not being able to get anyone on a phone. If anyone has a rep. Or any contact information please let me know. For a rookie grower, I've given them more then enough money.. and I don't see many grow operations using 20 or 30 light counts with mars gear.. ..

Live and learn.
I still have it, but thinking about Gorilla tents.

M

mdterpz532

Okay. So I'll do some reconfiguring once I get back there.

It really amazes me that the reply from marshydro was that basically most of thier drivers may make some noise and as long as it is below a certain dB level than it passes as ok, I really don't think they understand that I'm turning it off, then the noise comes on, not when the unit is on.
when the light is running its quiet doesnt make a sound. And I know you all grasp that so it can't be too hard..
I'm handy with assembly and reassembly. not that I'm going to mess with it.. could possibly void the warranty. 🫣

And I'm not necessarily worries that anything I have going on would actually burn down the place.
I would toss whatever before I continued to run it.
I'm on 12&12 light cycle. So I never touch it. And the timer shuts the light off from the cord basically so that's why there isn't any noise then..

I was almost hoping that some one ( or 50 ) would peep up and be like
"Yep same problem here, it's cool, they all make noise.."
Lol.
Thanks everyone.
I'll repost when I figure something out, or to let everyone know where to send the free expensive equipment too.

HighVoltageSparky

HighVoltageSparky

Okay. So I'll do some reconfiguring once I get back there.

It really amazes me that the reply from marshydro was that basically most of thier drivers may make some noise and as long as it is below a certain dB level than it passes as ok, I really don't think they understand that I'm turning it off, then the noise comes on, not when the unit is on.
when the light is running its quiet doesnt make a sound. And I know you all grasp that so it can't be too hard..
I'm handy with assembly and reassembly. not that I'm going to mess with it.. could possibly void the warranty. 🫣

And I'm not necessarily worries that anything I have going on would actually burn down the place.
I would toss whatever before I continued to run it.
I'm on 12&12 light cycle. So I never touch it. And the timer shuts the light off from the cord basically so that's why there isn't any noise then..

I was almost hoping that some one ( or 50 ) would peep up and be like
"Yep same problem here, it's cool, they all make noise.."
Lol.
Thanks everyone.
I'll repost when I figure something out, or to let everyone know where to send the free expensive equipment too.
I get it bro, same thing with me with Advancet Nutrients. Spent a ton of money, just looking for answers to my actual questions. Like you, I hope it was a bot that answered me, unless the person is just writing scripted answers to questions.

And if you get a good yield for this just keep the shit, it works right? Plants don't give a shit about that buzzing, only us right?

oh and
"I was almost hoping that some one ( or 50 ) would peep up and be like
"Yep same problem here, it's cool, they all make noise..""

Does it help if I say my SF4000 makes a buzzing noise?
...When it's on though, but... Same same but different : = )

Maybe what we spend on that extra money on "proper" lights, is going to more high quality components. That's usually the name of the game.

M

mdterpz532

i want more haha.,
just when it comes time to replace items, look into it..
I know I know. I'll get there. Hard to go "quality" before you know what you know what quality consists of.. I'll know better when it comes time to upgrade as you said. Thanks.

I

imgrowing

does the driver get hot to the touch?
if it does chuck it and if not don't worry is my thoughts.
my mars hydro ts 3000 barely gets warm

Top Bottom