L.e.d. veg wattage question

• Thread starter Mr.Budly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.Budly

Mr.Budly

Running a mutt-mix of Amazon led fixtures to accommodate my pocket book at one given time...
Have 2 vipar Spectra lights; 1 is a "300w" actual 130w and 1 "600w" actual 260w adjustable veg/bloom spectrum. 3rd light is a cf grow c.o.b. "300w" actual 100w.

The 2 vipars just flowered my 1st grow to my satisfaction, but the perpetual plants in veg seem to dislike the intensity. I'm running a 4 inch carbon scrubber and 1 x 8" fan on floor and 1 x 6" in clip on rail fan above canopy in a 2'x4'x6' tent with temps at floor level ranging 67-72 and 77-86 above the lights. Humidity varies 37-60 depending on my attention to the humidifier...

So long story short, what's your experience in veg cycles? What's a good wattage to run a good 8 week veg under l.e.d lights in 8 square feet?

Here's how they look... Drinking too fast and dry... Watered em again so we'll see if they perk up here in a little bit.

Led veg wattage question
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i run a 400 hid in my 2x4x5 tent just fine,your 300 should do a great job,i think your problem probally same as mine,incoming air,even with the exchange proper it just doesnt seem enough in the small tent,i run a 6 in intake and exhaust

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
A clip on oscillating fan inside can help too, the little 6" type.

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Complete plug and play.
Honestly I'm ordering them for the first time myself after "much" research.
I've been the cheap blurple route already.
I'm old and have tried everything from T12's to present, I've got a garage full of antique grow equipment. A time capsule I guess.

Mr.Budly

Mr.Budly

i run a 400 hid in my 2x4x5 tent just fine,your 300 should do a great job,i think your problem probally same as mine,incoming air,even with the exchange proper it just doesnt seem enough in the small tent,i run a 6 in intake and exhaust

Possibly, I can turn the cob and 300w off and that controls the temp closer to an ideal range. Stays around 70 on the floor and 77 above the lights, just wasn't sure if the 260w left over is enough to cover 3 plants for veg. Hmm so maybe I should lean towards another fan for intake. Think if I used a 6" intake system I could get away with using the 4" for exhaust or vice versa running all 3 lights? I just keep stacking more equipment in there trying to find a balance and too invested to want to start over. Although a redesign may be beneficial, the better half wouldn't be too enthused of the cost going that route.

Mr.Budly

Mr.Budly

To OP, for what you have invested in what you have you could of went this way maybe for less.

If I were to do it again I would have done something like this. Moved twice since I started the grow and bought equipment according to available space at both spots. Started with the 300w vipar in a 2x2x3 cardboard box setup, to a 2x2x4 tent setup with the addition of exhaust scrubber and clip on fan, and finally to 2x4x6 tent adding additional lighting with 8" floor fan. As you mentioned I am invested in it now though... Quantum boards are passively cooled aren't they? What kind of temps would you expect to see them running in a small tent ?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Possibly, I can turn the cob and 300w off and that controls the temp closer to an ideal range. Stays around 70 on the floor and 77 above the lights, just wasn't sure if the 260w left over is enough to cover 3 plants for veg. Hmm so maybe I should lean towards another fan for intake. Think if I used a 6" intake system I could get away with using the 4" for exhaust or vice versa running all 3 lights? I just keep stacking more equipment in there trying to find a balance and too invested to want to start over. Although a redesign may be beneficial, the better half wouldn't be too enthused of the cost going that route.
thats up to you,my problem is im rolling ninja style and the utility room doesnt have ac or heat ,just a door going outside,call it a feed room and sure cant invest ton of money for co2 and such things,so i got a 6in fan filter on the outside of tent just to keep some fresher air coming in and filtered,minus the co2 i guess but clean and free of bugs,that little tent has no room for de huey or a huey imo,so i make due,when lights are on i just leave the top zipper open were the room co2 get in there,got 5 plants in there right now and all 2ft tall so running short of room if you dig,still waiting on sex and have culled one male so far hoping for at least one more ,if not a girl gotta go were i can get to tieing these bitchs down ahahah

Mr.Budly

Mr.Budly

thats up to you,my problem is im rolling ninja style and the utility room doesnt have ac or heat ,just a door going outside,call it a feed room and sure cant invest ton of money for co2 and such things,so i got a 6in fan filter on the outside of tent just to keep some fresher air coming in and filtered,minus the co2 i guess but clean and free of bugs,that little tent has no room for de huey or a huey imo,so i make due,when lights are on i just leave the top zipper open were the room co2 get in there,got 5 plants in there right now and all 2ft tall so running short of room if you dig,still waiting on sex and have culled one male so far hoping for at least one more ,if not a girl gotta go were i can get to tieing these bitchs down ahahah

Got a 75% fail rate, I don't have space to be a breeder... Got 3 males 1 female.... 230w in veg ought to do her alright yeah?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Got a 75% fail rate, I don't have space to be a breeder... Got 3 males 1 female.... 230w in veg ought to do her alright yeah?
yep ,im using 400 for 4 females,i start 6 beans ,every time and always cull 2 males,already took one out,might have one more ,still couple days tell.but i have done 4 in the tent for several years,230 should do fine ,if you need some side light cfl do the job too

Mr.Budly

Mr.Budly

yep ,im using 400 for 4 females,i start 6 beans ,every time and always cull 2 males,already took one out,might have one more ,still couple days tell.but i have done 4 in the tent for several years,230 should do fine ,if you need some side light cfl do the job too

I pulled a male the other day and left him to the mercy of the lung room... Oxygen , light, and all... He is actually doing better than the tent. Color returned and leaves straightening out... feel like I just told myself I'm giving em too much too early. I turned off 2 lights hoping she bounces back, repotted in the same 2 gal pot 20% soil and 80% Coco running 24 hours 230w pull. Dropping beans tomorrow just in case she don't make it

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I pulled a male the other day and left him to the mercy of the lung room... Oxygen , light, and all... He is actually doing better than the tent. Color returned and leaves straightening out... feel like I just told myself I'm giving em too much too early. I turned off 2 lights hoping she bounces back, repotted in the same 2 gal pot 20% soil and 80% Coco running 24 hours 230w pull. Dropping beans tomorrow just in case she don't make it
are you still feeding it like coco

Mr.Budly

Mr.Budly

are you still feeding it like coco

Feeding it like soil, watering it like Coco... Was a bad mix... I'll do it differently next time.. female is a good looking pheno though, branches like no one's business and stays medium height regardless of light height adjustments. For once I didn't read that far into it, in it to win it now though. If it ain't broken don't fix it, ain't no need reinventing the wheel...this time I learn the hard way! I should have stuck to soil haha

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Feeding it like soil, watering it like Coco... Was a bad mix... I'll do it differently next time.. female is a good looking pheno though, branches like no one's business and stays medium height regardless of light height adjustments. For once I didn't read that far into it, in it to win it now though. If it ain't broken don't fix it, ain't no need reinventing the wheel...this time I learn the hard way! I should have stuck to soil haha
i love soil,but for product coco is the way to roll,you have just confused yourself which is which,probally at this stage you have depleted the soil amends ,didnt you transplant 2 or 3 weeks ago,anyway even with the soil amends in there you can still roll like coco just dont add as much nutes to you know the nutes from soil are gone,if your water your coco to 20 -30% runoff it want take long to wash out all the soil amends ,i cant really tell under the lights ,but plants dont look bad to me,what ppm are you feeding them at?

Mr.Budly

Mr.Budly

i love soil,but for product coco is the way to roll,you have just confused yourself which is which,probally at this stage you have depleted the soil amends ,didnt you transplant 2 or 3 weeks ago,anyway even with the soil amends in there you can still roll like coco just dont add as much nutes to you know the nutes from soil are gone,if your water your coco to 20 -30% runoff it want take long to wash out all the soil amends ,i cant really tell under the lights ,but plants dont look bad to me,what ppm are you feeding them at?

To be honest I haven't watched ppm.. got a 20% runoff at 6.8. got water at roughly 270 ppm and 5.5-7.6 p h. Start after filtering depending on last filter change. Blurple is deceptive, the leaves droop a few days a week and canoe the others. Never had this issue in soil, I grow for myself. Ain't got to be pro grade, just has to calm the nerves! I figure I washed the soil out when tips quit burning and accepted nutes... Off the bat they didn't like it, maybe turned half the product from stress... Learning curve... but still get clawed fan leaves like too much nitrogen. I'm a C student in science until it goes BOOM! Then I pay attention! The growth in Coco amused my interest, might have jumped ahead of where I thought my skill set was at.. or time available to adjust haha baby girl had me wondering where the last month went, gonna blink and she'll be 18! AHHHHH

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

To be honest I haven't watched ppm.. got a 20% runoff at 6.8. got water at roughly 270 ppm and 5.5-7.6 p h. Start after filtering depending on last filter change. Blurple is deceptive, the leaves droop a few days a week and canoe the others. Never had this issue in soil, I grow for myself. Ain't got to be pro grade, just has to calm the nerves! I figure I washed the soil out when tips quit burning and accepted nutes... Off the bat they didn't like it, maybe turned half the product from stress... Learning curve... but still get clawed fan leaves like too much nitrogen. I'm a C student in science until it goes BOOM! Then I pay attention! The growth in Coco amused my interest, might have jumped ahead of where I thought my skill set was at.. or time available to adjust haha baby girl had me wondering where the last month went, gonna blink and she'll be 18! AHHHHH
coco is great for product,you just got to stay on top of it,are you saying that when you water,your runoff comes out at 270 ppm and 5.5 to 7.6 ph? with coco what ever ph and ppm you make and feed with should be close to what you put in coming out the bottom in your runoff,now i could see the 7.6 ph with the 270 ppm coming out,when the ph is high normaly the ppm is low,at least was for me,this trash can grow i finished ,that is how i dropped my ppm by raising my ph and i did that with potassium bicarbonate,so the high ph with the low ppm makes since ,the 5.5 with the 270 doesnt,i believe your meters might be jacking with you

Latest posts

Top Bottom