LA Confidential Grow

• Thread starter Afghi420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Afghi420

Afghi420

I've chopped them at 45, 49, 56, 60, and 61 days. The later the better, as flavors seem to intensify in the last weeks.

Have you taken them with a decent amount of amber on them? I like a body stone so if i can give the weed a bit of a heavier high thats the route i want to go. Is the high fairly heavy or what? I've had probably atleast a dozen people tell me it was their favorite strain. The hairs are starting to change orange quite a bit, some plants more then others. They are very respectable buds, not a whole lot of them on the plant but they do plump up quite nicely, your's are looking quite plump. Ofcourse doing the scrog thing helps im sure. I seriously cannot wait to have a few jar fulls of some quality free bud..

ftwendy

ftwendy

Yep, both phenos are nice and stoney... the taller is a bit headier, and the squat a bit sleepier. Sort of to be expected.

Afghi420

Afghi420

Yep, both phenos are nice and stoney... the taller is a bit headier, and the squat a bit sleepier. Sort of to be expected.

Well i had a bit of a scare the other day.. I thought i was seeing seed pods starting on a lot of my tops on some plants.. After looking at pictures online of calyx's i still wasn't convinced, what set me at ease was a picture of the strain warlock in the skunk magazine, it's an ad for serious seeds, they show a pic of ak47 and warlock, the picture of the warlock bud, if you look at the tops of the bud it looks exactly like what my buds are doing.. Ive never grown any strains before that had much for swallon calyx's.. I actually just did a search for la confidential pictures and saw a picture of an la plant with the dark black looking leaves, the bud in that picture looks 100 percent identical to some of my buds.. Have you had any experience with swelling calyx's with your la's? I was pretty much resigned to chopping my plants early and losing yet another crop to hermies, felt sick to my stomach when i first started seeing these pod looking things all over. The buds are so sweet looking it would kill me to lose them now. Im seeing quite a big difference in some of the buds.. Ive got a couple p lants that are growing buds with large amounts of swelling calyx's, then ive got a couple plants with really frosty buds with a lot of long red hairs still all over the bud that havent shrunken up much at all, then ive got one plant with buds that have quite a lot of red hairs but they are thicker and seem to be all matted down over the bud instead of sticking stright up.. I've got to say they are all looking amazing in their own way though, i really thought i would be dissapointed with one of these pheno's, but i can't see it...

Afghi420

Afghi420

actually i got a couple i sent to someone yesterday when i was trying to indentify what was going on, ill try to get some better ones here soon.. i just did a flush of all of the plants tonight, they might get maybe on or so more feedings with some bloom nutes maybe then i will probably start the actual end flush with some ro water..
Calyxes
Calyx

Afghi420

Afghi420

i will try and get good pictures of the 3 different variations of bud growth happening here in the next couple days.. it makes sense though that the calyx's would be forming now.. they say the plant put on the most bud growth in the last couple weeks, and im in the last couple weeks right now..

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Sorry to arrive late; the curling on the leaves comes from lil too much N. It's not the worst thing you can do, and you look to have some nice buds. Flush them well. Listen to Wendy; she knows what she's saying. Nice work overall; some fine tuning and that LA con will rock yer sox off. Tuned in for the finish!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Just a wee bit heavy on the food. I think I read that your technique is feed-feed-water; maybe next round try feed-water-feed.

ftwendy

ftwendy

Sorry to arrive late; the curling on the leaves comes from lil too much N. It's not the worst thing you can do, and you look to have some nice buds. Flush them well. Listen to Wendy; she knows what she's saying. Nice work overall; some fine tuning and that LA con will rock yer sox off. Tuned in for the finish!

it cracks me up when people mistake me as a woman. I'm not btw. The name's a play on 420/fort wendy. Its confusing.

Anyhow, I suggest a stop on the feedings all together. The LA should get a thorough flushing - my experience is that she's a slow fade, and holds on to her green for 10+ days with plain only. It's worth noting that I do not flush with massive volumes of plain water, maybe 40% runoff. You're done feeding these girls now, so start killing them softly.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

it cracks me up when people mistake me as a woman. I'm not btw. The name's a play on 420/fort wendy. Its confusing.

Anyhow, I suggest a stop on the feedings all together. The LA should get a thorough flushing - my experience is that she's a slow fade, and holds on to her green for 10+ days with plain only. It's worth noting that I do not flush with massive volumes of plain water, maybe 40% runoff. You're done feeding these girls now, so start killing them softly.
{Scratches head}… now don't I feeel silly. Sorry BRO. Nice grows, BTW... :-)
I blame og raskal. Just puffed Wi-Fi.

Afghi420

Afghi420

yeah maybe i will just start my flush now.. the plant that has the most calyx development, which also happens to be my stinkiest plant is the furthest ahead, and looks like it could be done in a wekk or so.. Man when i thought the plants were all seeded i almost lost it, this is one strain i have been dying to try. Im hoping using a humidifer in my drying room this time wil slow the drying process down by a few days and maybe make the smoke a little tastier. I know last time i dried in the room the humidity had to be around 20-25 % which is probably way too low, stems were snapping in 5 days. i was going to try maybe keeping all of the leaf on while they dry as well but i dont want to risk mold at all so i think i will trim them up before they dry and hope the humidifer will help. Whats a bit strange is that the 2 plants i have with the most calyx development also seem to be draining the leaves of all their nutrients much faster then the other plants. Those 2 plants have a few big fan leaves that are almost entirely yellowed up already, just from the lack of nitrogen they have been getting the past couple weeks, my bloom has zero nitrogen in it, and i have only given them one or two shots of fish fertilizer in the past couple weeks just so they wouldnt yellow to soon.. Would it be because the plants are throwing out ll these calyx's it's taking a lot of energy from the plants. The plants that don't have any calyx's are still mostly green.. Anyways they will just get water from now on, actually im going to grab some Ro water from a friends and use that to flush as my well water has a fairly high ppm, around 180, high ph too at 8.2 . Ive he3ard that you don't have to flush when you use earth juice as they don't use salts in EJ.. Im not sure if the fulvic, humic and abscorbic acids leave much residue in the soil but i like to flush anyhow.. Anyways here's hoping all ends well, would be nice to actually have a full grow report from start to finish with good results..

Afghi420

Afghi420

Here are a couple new pics of my plants. I will be taking them down probably within about a week or so. I think i will take one down tonight just so i can have something good to smoke here. 3 out of the 6 have the real dank smell happening. One of my plants has some serious purple starting to come through, looks like the same pheno as some of the pictures you see of the LA with the almost black leaves. The last picture here shows the pheno with the mainly central cola structure, it has a few lower branches then one long central stock.

LaconpurpApril29
LaApril29
DSCN1442

Afghi420

Afghi420

Here is one last pic of my most purple plant right before i cut it tonight. The purple came into the leaves with just a slight drop in temperature. I checked the trichs of all my plants and the ones that are closest to being finished are probably about 80 % milky, maybe a little more then that. Im sill not seeing any amber yet though. I just took this one plant tonight because i need some good smoke.. The other 5 i will let go probably another week or so, which should bring them a couple days over the 60 day mark, only 5 or so days past what DNA claims is the finish time. The purple plant i cut tonight didn't have much for that dank smell while it was growing but after being cut it is starting to release that very dank smell that a few of the other plants have. I've got temps and humidity under control in my drying room so i hope a few extra days of drying time helps with smells/tastes.. I had very low humidity before drying i my house and the stems were snapping after 5 days, which i think is a few days too soon. I plucked off all the bigger leaves that i could just snap off but i left the smaller leaves on.. I know it makes it a lot more time consuming when it comes time to trim, but it's only one plant.. The old afghi we used to grow was the nicest tasting bud ive ever had and we always left our leaves on until they were dry, so i figure i will give it a try again and see if it makes any difference. The leaves aren't quite as yellowed as i would like with this plant but it had a flush and then 3 or 4 waterings after that so it should be alright.. Hopefully with about another week to go my other plants will yellow up more.. I can tell they are starting to fade anyways..

DSCN1461

ftwendy

ftwendy

Cedar, woodsy, earthen, hashy.... she tastes just wonderful. Excited for you A!

Afghi420

Afghi420

Well i decided to chop all my girls yesterday. They were anywhere from a few days to almost 2 weeks over what DNA claims is the finishing time.. I was going to try and let them go until they had some amber, but really i kept checking them and still wasn't seeing any amber to speak of.. So i figured i could either take them now and have 6 plants all grown good with maybe 90-95 % milky trichs, or i could keep waiting and hope the amber comes along soon.. I went with the first option. All i really wanted was to successfully grow out the LA so i could try it, maybe next time i will let a few go longer and see if it is better.. Atleast 3 of the 6 plants had the serious skunky/dank smell really strong.. The smallest plant i had didn't throw any real calys/foxtails, the leaves didn't go purple but the bud itsself did very nicely, it is also the stinkiest plant, well its almost a tie in dankness b etween the small plant with the purple buds and the plant with the biggest buds, the one that started showing tons of calyx growth first, probably will be the heaviest yielder as well.. The plant i cut last monday is dried and smokable now, it dried faster then i wanted.. Took 6 days and they were very dry.. Guess i needed my humidity to be even higher then it was in the drying room.. Now that i have them all cut i brought my good humidifier into the drying room, keeping the humidity at 60 % this time, hopefully that will slow things down and not allow them to go crumbly dry. Anyways ive got a few final pics of the plants right before they were cut. They didn't yellow up quite as much as i would have liked, but they did get a very good flush.. The one plant i cut last week smokes with a very light fluffy white ash, and the rest of my plants have had another 2 or 3 good pure waterings over what the first plant had when it was cut, so they should be flushed even better... Anyways, id say i had a pretty good experience with this strain as far as growing. Plants stayed pretty green throughout the entire grow.. Even after screwing up in germination and having my seedlings all dry out in the paper towel they still thrived and finished nicely. Here are some final pic's..

DSCN1480
Calyxbudmay6
Closeupbudmay6
LAMay6
May6lacon
May6LA

Afghi420

Afghi420

My stretchy pheno of the LA is less stinky in bloom than her shorter sister, but she reeks once she's dried and ready for smoke. I started worrying about the stretch pheno being a dud the first time I flowered it, but three rounds have passed and everybody likes the stretch pheno better.

Keep an eye on those super branchy, taller phenos.... they yield very respectably with minimal veg, and the flavor of the smoke can be supremely satisfying.

day 28 stretch pheno
View attachment 305323

day 58
View attachment 305324

do you have any pics with a bit closer zoom of some near finished buds? I've seen quite a bit of variation, well maybe 3 different bud structures atleast.. Would really like to see your plants close up..

Top Bottom