LA Marijuana Dispensary Ban Approved By Council, Expected To Go Into Effect In 30 Days

• Thread starter OctoberDee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OctoberDee

OctoberDee

tagline.gif

[email protected]
Kathleen Miles

Medical marijuana patients in Los Angeles will have to rush to dispensaries if they want to stock up on marijuana products.
The LA City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to ban all dispensaries, although patients and caretakers still can grow
marijuana at home. When the vote was tallied after a full day of deliberation and public comment, a few members of the public stood up and shouted angrily at the city council, as police stood protectively in front of members.
Spokeswoman for Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Vicki Curry, told The Huffington Post that the mayor supports the ban and will sign it into law sometime next week. It goes into effect 30 days from when it is signed, which means by September, according to the city attorney's figures, 762 registered dispensaries and a couple hundred more unregistered facilities will be forced to close.
Councilman Jose Huizar, who introduced the measure, told HuffPost that the ban was necessary because of a proliferation of dispensaries that are not in violation of the city's 2010 dispensary ordinance including not being too close to each other, schools or libraries.
During the debate that preceded the vote, he said that because regulation hasn't worked, the city should ban all dispensaries until the state Supreme Court clarifies the legality of the shops. "We failed to [regulate] for the past five years. No matter what we try to do … to regulate it going forward… we will fail again," Huizar said. "The best course of action is … allowing three people or less to collectively cultivate marijuana -- that's what's allowed under state law."
Proponents of Huizar's ban spoke publicly before the vote, saying that the dispensaries are nuisances that attract crime and drive away business. They also expressed concern about the concentration of dispensaries in certain neighborhoods. One man said there are 15 dispensaries within a 1.2-mile radius in Eagle Rock; one woman said there are three dispensaries in two blocks in her neighborhood, including one next to a preschool and a church.
A mother complained that her children walk through marijuana smoke in front of their house and a nearby bakery, and that it sends a message to children that drugs are OK.
But opponents of the ban said growing marijuana at home is not feasible for most patients, who will be forced to turn to the illegal market. A representative of the United Food and Commercial Workers, which now includes dispensary workers, said that setting up a bare-minimum, one-light "grow tent" at home costs more than $5,000.
A filmmaker said he suffers from depression and anxiety, and needs medical marijuana "to keep me from losing my mind on every little detail of the day." Another medical marijuana patient came close to tears, saying, "You really don’t understand what it's like to be in our shoes… What it's like for us every morning to wake up and… plan your day over your pain issues."
A man with cerebral palsy said he cannot physically grow marijuana. "Please do not ban the only medication that lets me live comfortably," he said.
Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck, however, spoke in favor of the ban. There have been murders at the dispensaries, he said, expressing concern about the amount of cash exchanged, particularly at the larger stores. Addressing the concern that enforcing a dispensary ban could drain police resources, Beck said he believes "the vast majority" of the facilities would comply with the ban and that enforcement would be manageable.
Dispensaries have "popped up all over," said Councilman Joe Buscaino, adding that they "should not be more accessible than Sudafed."
Medical marijuana should be accessed at pharmacies, not profitable unregulated shops, and it does not make sense that there are only about 50 pharmacies in the city, in comparison to more than 700 dispensaries, he said.
In addition to Huizar's ban, the council also approved, 9-5, a request from Councilman Paul Koretz to draft a soft-ban ordinance that would allow 182 law-abiding dispensaries to stay open. It will take at least several weeks for Koretz's ordinance to be drafted by the city attorney, then sent back to committee and the council. Koretz's proposed soft ban directly contradicts Huizar's approved ban.
A representative from the city attorney's office noted that the council is "between a rock and a hard place" because there are conflicting court rulings on the legality of dispensaries. A November District Court of Appeal case out of Long Beach prohibits dispensaries, while a 2nd District Court of Appeal in California ruled earlier this month that cities cannot ban them.
The dispensary ban is sure to face legal challenges from dispensary proponents, who already have filed dozens of lawsuits against the city over various regulations and closures.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

This same thing happened in Fresno a few months back.. They will juss go delivery service.. There is always a loop hole in any ban.. U juss won't b able 2 walk in a club & pick ur buds now juss call & they will stop by.. It's not the same but sick people can still get there meds..at least that's what' happened in Fresno..

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
The price will go back up if anything. If the price drops further then it makes ZERO sense to cultivate indoors, to buy genetics, nutes, soil, pots, co2, pest control, etc.... People don't understand what the overhead can be like for indoor growers. I myself live in a city that is VERY expensive AND we pay the highest utility rates in CA....If the price goes down expect to start seeing a bunch of commercial outdoor with pm, bot and pest infested flowers.

Why am I doing this again??? Haha fuck!

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

Didnt the LA weed guys become a part of the Grocers Union?

Where are their lawyers?.....That was supposed to be the deal, huh? Buying protection....olksie wolskie style?

Fuck...if a union cant control politics we are all screwed.....lol....:confused:

S

Schwoop

Didnt the LA weed guys become a part of the Grocers Union?

Where are their lawyers?.....That was supposed to be the deal, huh? Buying protection....olksie wolskie style?

Fuck...if a union cant control politics we are all screwed.....lol....:confused:

Politics are Out of Control bro, it's not about the people, the future, what's best or what's right Dawg! All that shit our Grandpa's told us is gone! Poof! Like it never happened!
MLK is rolling in his grave! Money controls politics! Not the best intrest of the country.

It's the story of our life's, and end of its our death, and every word that's in between is just a waste if breath!

Dick, Sub Hum Ans, 85'

S

Schwoop

"From The Cradle To The Grave"

Well they took you from your mother's womb and put you in a school
Told you how to run your life by following the rules
Told you not to pick your nose or disrespect the queen
Scrub your teeth three times a day keep mind and body clean
Save up all your pocket money, nothing is for free
And you'd better trust your parents cos there's no one else you see
And then they send you off each day remember what you're told
"You may think you don't need teaching but you'll need it when you're old"

And if you're too intelligent they'll cut you down to size
They'll praise you til you're happy then they'll fill you full of lies
Cos intelligence is threatening and genius is sin
If you could ever see through them they know they'd never win

So they channel your ability into the right direction
If you're good enough and rich enough you can be a politician
On the other hand if your too thick they'll tell you that you're lazy
They'll put you down and wind you up until it drives you crazy

They'll say you ought to learn a trade to help you in your life
Success is written in three parts: A job, a house, a wife
They'll say that school prepares you for the awesome world outside
Well it certainly gives you bigotry and patriotic pride

Racism, sexism teacher to class
From school to work remains the sameare you white and middle class?

You'll learn that bad men dress in black and good men dress in white
And the pamphlets in the playground say that's right
And that girls were made for housework and boys were made to fight
And the naughty pictures on page 3 make everything alright

And so from school to the outside world these morals you will take
And unless you can reject them you'll have your mind at stake

They'll give you a decision when you get to 18, too
The right to vote for someone else who says he cares for you
But the only thing he cares about is getting to the top
By conning you with empty words that promise you a lot
But the end result is slavery to a false set of ideals
You'll be tempted to believe them cos they'll seem so very real
The slavery of attitudes that make you keep in line
Subconsciously devoted to the morals of our time

And when you end up on the dole which you very likely will
They'll offer you a brand new trade: Learning how to kill

Why don't you join the army? Be a man and not a fool
There's someone else to think for you just like there was at school

They'll promise you absolution from the murders you'll commit
In the name of god and country they can get away with it
They fill you full of orders and promise you rewards
Like busting up your family by sending you abroad
A holiday in Germany or Iceland or Hong Kong
Making money being useless well it seems it can't go wrong
But then it's off to Northern Ireland where you'll practice what they preached
You'll shoot to keep yourself alive and kill to keep the peace
And then it won't be so much fun as you hear the wounded crying
Cos before they couldn't speak english and you didn't know what they were saying
But when the children call you "Bastard" it will make you think again
When you cannot tell the difference between animals and men

Animals don't wear uniforms but they kill as much as you
But the army kills for money and animals kill for food
It's the basest degredation in the name of what is right
Become something you never were and regret it til you die

Cos your father will tell you "Sonny, you must do as you are told"
And you'll say the same thing to your kids when you're 32 years old
And unless you can react against the brainwash from the start
Your government will rule your mind and your mind will rule your heart
You'll conform to every social law and be the system's slave
From birth to school to work to death, from the cradle to the grave.....

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I dont even know if this means anything will change,they did the same thing in my county just east of LA a long time ago but there are still 25-35 dispensaries openly operating in just my little area alone.The only time ive seen a few close was when the fed put the fear into the landlords and they booted the dispensaries.Honestly most of them around here ARE for profit deals and in it for the money which isnt really the intent of the law but its just another prejudice against MJ,could you imagine if they told big pharma they had to be a non profit?Half of all politicians would be lobbied out of office!

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

The LA City Council are a bunch of morons, this is just another wrench in the works. I'll say honestly they are all about wasting time and money, they can care less about the city. If they did care this issue would not still be pressing along with a lot of other issues. They couldn't get a BBQ organized properly. I'm sure there will be injunction after injunction, more money and time wasted. Don't worry I'm sure after a few decades this will all be squared away.

B

booms

762 dispensaries seems like overkill. Know wonder there getting shut down. Dont you honestly think that is way to many dispensaries? What they should do is limit it to under 100 which still seems like alot but then they could regulate the dispensaries better and all the anti-medical people wouldnt have to see almost 1000 dispensaries everywhere they look in there city. Where I live they only sell 2 alcohol licenses imagine if it was unregulated and we had 1000 bars around, Id be upset to seeing i dont drink. I cant stand drunks so i know how people feel about us potheads....

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
762 dispensaries seems like overkill. Know wonder there getting shut down. Dont you honestly think that is way to many dispensaries? What they should do is limit it to under 100 which still seems like alot but then they could regulate the dispensaries better and all the anti-medical people wouldnt have to see almost 1000 dispensaries everywhere they look in there city. Where I live they only sell 2 alcohol licenses imagine if it was unregulated and we had 1000 bars around, Id be upset to seeing i dont drink. I cant stand drunks so i know how people feel about us potheads....

That's a ridiculously inflated number....just sayin'

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

It's true, too much of anything can ruin everything. There are more than 3 million people in and around the city of LA. It seems like 100 is a lot but the area that makes up LA is very wide and large. There could easily be over 700 dispensaries in the LA area which is a lot but only because most of them are little shit holes in the wall and they just keep popping up. Inflated or not the number needs regulation so MFers will stop selling shitty weed at inflated prices. $35 an eighth is way too much for backyard boogie "OG kush".

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

I'm torn b/w anger at the nanny-state bureaucrats who feel the need to control everything and tell us how to live and a lack of sympathy for dispensary owners who don't support any type of decriminalize/legalization beyond what serves their own financial interests.

Top Bottom