Lamp trips my GFI

• Thread starter Resinator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Resinator

I have a Sunleaves dual MH/HPS 400 watt light. When I have the HPS bulb in, it occasionally trips the GFI on that circuit. When I have the MH bulb in it almost always trips the GFI when it kicks into bright a few minutes after warming up. I tried plugging the lamp into a PC power strip with surge protection. Didnt help.

Is there any kind of filter I can put on this curcuit so my lamp does not trip the GFI?

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

If it is popping the fuse in the breaker box, you are over powering the circuit. I believe your dual light is about 6 amps. What else are you running on that breaker? It sounds like you have too much going off that circuit.
There is nothing you can do but get extra breakers ran to your room. Or figure out what runs on what in your house.

sky high

sky high

What else is on that circuit? The 400 only draws 4 amps so there has to be more stuff drawing power or a problem with the wiring/outlet. IMO. (not an electrician, FWIW)

s h

FLB

FLB

If your tripping the GFCI on a outlet itself it is the outlet that is bad. GFCI protected outlets are notorious for going bad. The more they trip, the weaker they get. Same with the breakers in your main panel. They can go bad as well. Find a sparky friend or try an outlet that is not protected.

R

Resinator

THx for all the replies. The GFI was tripping , not the cuircut breaker. Not even close to overpowering. On a hunch I bought another light setup with a different ballast. Problem solved. Gonna send this one back for repair.

S

SRHninja

harvest, shut down shop, and call a electrician to install more than what you need... "Keep it movin my friend!"

Top Bottom