Lamp vs. Power cords - Which goes further?

• Thread starter growhard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

growhard

OK, I have talked to many self confessed experts on this subject, and many contradict each other.
1. Some say that the lamp cords should not be extended more that 30ft, otherwise, significant voltage drops will occur.
2. Some say they can be extended to 100ft, and that the drops in voltage are negligible.
The same things are said about the power cords, but most people seem to think that you can extend one, but not the other.
I am seeing fantastic grows in monster rooms with huge lengths of lamp cords, with no load center in sight.
Are there 'rules' to abide by when designing large rooms?
One final question.... where do you obtain these long cords (or where do you get the parts to build them) with the Sunlight fittings?
Thanks in advance for your help!

J

Jalisco Kid

I have never ran digital but I have never considered going over 25' with hps. It will be a built in design flaw. But then again I am no expert. JK
There are rules for everything
electrical supply house

P

pikes peak 69

Not an expert for sure.
I would't go over 25' on the lamp cord. As for the power cord, I think that is less critical and you can go longer. With longer you would also go bigger wire (smaller gauge number). Hell you can probably run 100' if you were using a 8-10 ga extension cord.

Electrical supply houses or look on line. I think for the lamp cords the specs are something like, sjc 600v. Not sure on that.
One of the sparkys may chime in as well.

pp69

U

utopian

There's a reason why Sun Systems only sells 10' extension cords for their reflectors. Add that to the 15' cord that comes with it and you get 25'. I'm not an electrician, but I wouldn't go much further than 25' if you can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom