Landrace Acapulco Gold, would another week do it?

• Thread starter Glassdub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Halboy

Hello Glassdub, I've grown more Acapulco Gold and Panama Red than any other strain in my nine grows over the last four years. You know they take longer to grow, 9-12 week bloom periods. Your buds are gorgeous! Only one more week at the most, maybe only a few more days, depending upon your light, temp. and humidity.

I noticed in your photos the tips of all of the leaves are burned. When I experience this I conclude it can be over-feeding or too much heat in a tent. If the cause is over feeding, you'll notice it in the flavor of your buds. I found over-feeding can't be cured-out of them entirely, even with lots of flushing. Buds will taste bland. Using OLD nutrients can destroy a crop in various ways also, a flavor destroyer.

I keep my 5' X 7' X 9' tent temp at no more than 76 degrees, and humidity at no more than 60-65%, reducing humidity a little more during last month of bloom. If your tent is too hot you can open the doors and use a floor fan from across the room to cool it down, and then add even more LEDs to increase lumens per sq. ft.. I'm running lights at about 26,000 lumens sq./ft., about 1/2 of full sunny day lumens out of doors, before heat constraint.

Normal basement humidity here in MI summers is usually a little too high, which is perfect for keeping heat down. Excess heat blown out of your tent will grab the excess humidity and carry it right up the stairway out of the basement, if you leave the door open for awhile. Keep the basement floors clean and the spider population down, except for daddy longlegs. Daddy longlegs will eat all of the other bugs not liked, and leave your plants, and you, untouched - halboy

Glassdub

Glassdub

Hello Glassdub, I've grown more Acapulco Gold and Panama Red than any other strain in my nine grows over the last four years. You know they take longer to grow, 9-12 week bloom periods. Your buds are gorgeous! Only one more week at the most, maybe only a few more days, depending upon your light, temp. and humidity.

I noticed in your photos the tips of all of the leaves are burned. When I experience this I conclude it can be over-feeding or too much heat in a tent. If the cause is over feeding, you'll notice it in the flavor of your buds. I found over-feeding can't be cured-out of them entirely, even with lots of flushing. Buds will taste bland. Using OLD nutrients can destroy a crop in various ways also, a flavor destroyer.

I keep my 5' X 7' X 9' tent temp at no more than 76 degrees, and humidity at no more than 60-65%, reducing humidity a little more during last month of bloom. If your tent is too hot you can open the doors and use a floor fan from across the room to cool it down, and then add even more LEDs to increase lumens per sq. ft.. I'm running lights at about 26,000 lumens sq./ft., about 1/2 of full sunny day lumens out of doors, before heat constraint.

Normal basement humidity here in MI summers is usually a little too high, which is perfect for keeping heat down. Excess heat blown out of your tent will grab the excess humidity and carry it right up the stairway out of the basement, if you leave the door open for awhile. Keep the basement floors clean and the spider population down, except for daddy longlegs. Daddy longlegs will eat all of the other bugs not liked, and leave your plants, and you, untouched - halboy
PPMs as of the last water (& this is a higher than average run off read) is 1,926 average (approximately 300 ppm of this is due to pH up added so more like 1626) pH average 6.1, I've kept the humidity in flower in the 40-50% range for full flower period, sometimes a hair below that even, thus my utter frustration finding the above rot. 70s is near impossible to obtain here, even with venting & windows open, I have two 6" circulation fans in a 5x5 tent & only 3 plants this run as the other 3 were male & pulled, also I have 4 6" corner fans. 80s is obtainable & in the past this has been fine even w/o the tight humidity regulation. I'm using HLG Scorpion R-Spec, at the highest budding points it reads around 35,000 lux, my chart said to go between 45-65 so this seemed reasonable.
IMO heat has been the major issue rather than humidity, the leaf color always seemed to reflect being more hungry than overfed except for the runt.
Detecting deficiency Vs over abundance has always been a huge frustration to me in general as the symptoms for both can be similar, but I default to gage from leaf color & run off PPMs.
Yep, spiders have been crazy this year, mainly outside, they took over my backyard, fine with me....

H

Halboy

It may be too late to preserve their taste when cured. If they were my plants I would stop feeding them 2 - 3 weeks before harvest and start over watering them a little, partial flushing, if you have over watering-proof soil. I would flush them immediately, now, preferably with well water, maybe up to 15 gallons per plant if necessary, to remove those ppms down to less than 100 ppm if possible. If you can’t cut the heat down to mid 70’s, harvesting them now, after thorough flushing, may save them from any more heat or nutrient damage.

Here’s how I feed my plants:

First of all I water them daily, twice a day, once in AM and once in PM. This keeps the water from running out of the bottoms of my 7 gallon bags and rinsing our desired nutrients. My plants are in 4th week of bloom so I’m giving them 4 cups of water in AM, and 2-4 cups of water in PM. For nutrients I’m using Roots Organics Grow, Foundation and Bloom, feeding them once a week, using 2 tsp of Foundation plus 4 tsps of either Grow or Bloom, depending upon plant growth phase. I force excess water runoff occasionally to check ppm. If using Dutch Science GBG or BBB I use 3 tsps of either, Lon e a week. I stop feeding them 2-3 weeks before harvest depending upon ppm, keeping a very close eye on ppm for the remainder of the grow. I hope something here may help. Happy farming! - halboy

Glassdub

Glassdub

In my meager 5 grows I have never had an issue with bad taste on any, even when things have gone south, I didn't even tightly monitor PPMs on my first (still best) grow until the end & they were literally double of this run presently. All taste better than crappy dispensary dust weed IMO & at least one person I vend to would contest to this. So this is all just a moot point on a rather aggravating day.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

over feeding does not cause bad tasting weed,
flushing does absolutely nothing good and only affects the plant negatively.,

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
long finishing strains don’t need much food with each watering..
from this point on keep nitrogen low..
actually what are you feeding and how much?
between temp and humidity i’d get that temp in the 70’s..

Glassdub

Glassdub

At this point the only thing I think I overfed was Cal, I'm using the Dyna-Gro line & there is Cal in both Foliage Pro & Bloom, I should have stuck with their Mag Pro line rather than Cal-Mag Plus.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok hang on..
ok so you have this
IMG 7798

what week are you?

Glassdub

Glassdub

long finishing strains don’t need much food with each watering..
from this point on keep nitrogen low..
actually what are you feeding and how much?
between temp and humidity i’d get that temp in the 70’s..
Around 5ml Bloom, 2ml FP 3ml Cal Mag (mistake), Water every 3 days in Pro Mix BX, with pre water on day 2 (one gal over 3 plants, to keep moist), I don't feed every water, its dependent on the run off PPMs.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i see the grow has 2.0 cal, how much in the bloom?,
i’d just feed the boom till end..
though for the last 3 weeks of flowering, NPK
ratios should be like
example 1-4-5.. K should be highest..
i’m sure you’ve seen this
IMG 6349

the last few weeks potassium and calcium are most needed..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
The same, thus is the crux, I suspect there is not a need for supplemental Cal.
mmm not now earlier maybe, though you didn’t to be mixing both grow and bloom, maybe here and there..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
mmm not now earlier maybe, though you didn’t to be mixing both grow and bloom, maybe here and there..
use the grow all veg, than when you switch to flower cut the grow in half and use the bloom as the other half, than around 4-5 weeks into flower just use the bloom till finish

Glassdub

Glassdub

I meant supplemental in addition to FP & Bloom, I did have a deficiency earlier on that might have been better addressed with Mag Pro rather than Cal Mag Plus that I had around from a organic grow experiment.

Glassdub

Glassdub

use the grow all veg, than when you switch to flower cut the grow in half and use the bloom as the other half, than around 4-5 weeks into flower just use the bloom till finish
I failed to mention I use FP not Grow, similar but I guess slightly different, my understanding was that FP is more dialed in for weed rather than general gardening, but point taken.
I usually go at half rates if not less.

DG Feed Chart 2022 1
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I failed to mention I use FP not Grow, similar but I guess slightly different, my understanding was that FP is more dialed in for weed rather than general gardening, but point taken.
I usually go at half rates if not less.
ok.. i’d still do the same for flowering, though probably combine both for veg but don’t over do it, higher the numbers the less you need.

H

Halboy

flushing does absolutely nothing good and only affects
flushing does absolutely nothing good and only affects the plant negatively.,
Unless the plant soil is so heavy that water can’t pass through it, and the roots drown, flushing is harmless to plants, it’s only water. Flushing does only one thing: If you’ve overfed a plant it flushes out excess nutrients from the soil, before the plant can suck up more into the plant and burn it more from the inside out. Flushing is how a farmer saves his plant(s) from destruction and death after over feeding them. - halboy

Top Bottom