Landrace? Where You At?

• Thread starter Sherlock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
thexsitu

thexsitu

Thanks for the read, Ill keep all posted on any progress I make on finding the raw ingredients. Anyone ever experiment with Honduran sativas? And again thanks all for the help and suggestions!
S., I have to check in my seedstash to be useful and you need to read 'Drug laws, bioprospecting and the agricultural heritage of Cannabis in Africa' by Chris S. Duvall before you started off to plan your work.

GreenLion

GreenLion

@snoplow20 know for a fact most breeders do select breeding when breeding landrace seeds. To me it is a little different then open pollination, that happens in the wild. You seem smart and if you took out the time to source and grow out, select the best representation of the sourced items. This to me is a person working a strain, right? Now I know we all have our differences. So wouldn't this mean most people's favorite male/female could be diffetent? So then if you buy seeds from someone you are working there line? This to me, is the reason for such high prices. Cant keep your work if you sell it. I just suggested home boy do his own thing. Seems like he was wanting to have his own stuff not the same as everyone else. Be free to get seeds from canabio, ace, and, snow like everyone else with the same idea and a closet.

S

Sherlock

@thexsitu thanks for the book recommendations, im always looking to learn more or at least anothers perspective on something i already know!
@snoplow20 I appreciate the WOS recommendation, ill look into them next rounds order.
@GreenLion i think you are right on, I truely wish I could go to the hillsides in Yunnan China and find that perfect plant to start the selection from. But I cannot and therefore looked for the "least worked" seeds I could find with the most open genetic potential. From there I still think I will be able to narrow a strain down that is unique and unlike the mass of stuff out there right now.

Thanks all, I really do appreciate the interest in the subject, it will only make me and other better.

Sherlock

S

Sherlock

It's an article, not a book. If you need original file don't hesitate to ask for it and I'll share it. It's important for your quest.
I see that know that I have searched, do you mind sending the file over so I do not have to pay for a journal site? Thank you kindly.

Sherlock

snoplow20

snoplow20

@snoplow20 know for a fact most breeders do select breeding when breeding landrace seeds. To me it is a little different then open pollination, that happens in the wild. You seem smart and if you took out the time to source and grow out, select the best representation of the sourced items. This to me is a person working a strain, right? Now I know we all have our differences. So wouldn't this mean most people's favorite male/female could be diffetent? So then if you buy seeds from someone you are working there line? This to me, is the reason for such high prices. Cant keep your work if you sell it. I just suggested home boy do his own thing. Seems like he was wanting to have his own stuff not the same as everyone else. Be free to get seeds from canabio, ace, and, snow like everyone else with the same idea and a closet.
RESPECT! Great reply.

snoplow20

snoplow20

RESPECT! Great reply.

thexsitu

thexsitu

I see that know that I have searched, do you mind sending the file over so I do not have to pay for a journal site? Thank you kindly.
Sherlock
Yea, you're right, PMed you some details and will wait for reply.

J

Jerry354

Wzup everybody. I want to get your opinion on attempting to re-create extinct strains.

sun

sun

Wzup everybody. I want to get your opinion on attempting to re-create extinct strains.
iv'e always dreamed about a project involving back crossing haze to its parent lines , punta rojo ,oxacana ,thai, and heavy selection . i dont have the means to select on that large of a scale right now. i have read that something can be lost crossing two hazes together .idk you get cat piss phenos , or something like that id really have to do some digging to quote what im trying to remember .

i think the key would be heavy selection

J

Jerry354

Have you heard of elev8 seeds, they attempt to re-create a few strains. They have their own version of Bruce banner #3, which they call Bruce Banner OG, where they used the Ghost OG male instead of the original OG Kush. They also have their version of the Starfighter strain, and they are using a blackberry kush male for backcrossing.

It would be like trying to re-create Bruce Lee or Michael Jordan using their original parents, which is impossible, but the probability of coming close is 100% achievable. I would settle for a Jackie Chan or a Kobe Bryant. Just something to consider.

xavier7995

xavier7995

You might want to check out "the real seed company." They offer fairly unworked lines from many areas. I agree with your thinking that going back and starting with less worked raw materials is the way to go forward on creating interesting new varieties.

I have heard RSC stuff can still be pretty wild and hard to grow, first few generations might be a bit rough depending on experience.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Once you get started on this project, you will quickly understand why these are difficult to find. And if not difficult to obtain seed nobody grows them commercially because they will be lacking in some capacity. Either taking 12+ weeks to flower, a loose flower structure bland flavors, low yields, or low potency. Keep in mind the myths of the 70's weed is just that. we are smoking stuff that is much more refined and we consume a whole lot more as well. Dont mean to be a negative Nancy, being honest. do what you like. but this question has been asked a thousand times and will be asked a thousand more. You are looking at a 5 year project....if you get lucky with a few of the males. Good luck

S

Sherlock

Once you get started on this project, you will quickly understand why these are difficult to find. And if not difficult to obtain seed nobody grows them commercially because they will be lacking in some capacity. Either taking 12+ weeks to flower, a loose flower structure bland flavors, low yields, or low potency. Keep in mind the myths of the 70's weed is just that. we are smoking stuff that is much more refined and we consume a whole lot more as well. Dont mean to be a negative Nancy, being honest. do what you like. but this question has been asked a thousand times and will be asked a thousand more. You are looking at a 5 year project....if you get lucky with a few of the males. Good luck
Thanks for chiming in HomeBrew, you guys do great work up there in Boulder! Wish your seed list was still available!!

Anyway, I appreciate the honesty and warning but it doesn't deter me a bit. I completely understand they have no place in the commercial cash crop grows that are taking over our state and many others. The warehouse I worked in for the two years my badge was good would never have touched a pure sativa. To be honest I probably have no place in 9 out of 10 of those grows too. As for the 70s myth, nostalgia can be a strong drug! I dont really expect to find something that is all the sudden the greatest weed on earth, really I just want the chance to decide on the profiles myself, make my own mistakes and successes, and one day have a strain to truly call my own. Five years, come on, I have been growing full time non stop for about 15 and dont plan on throwing in the towel for at least another 15, I should have time. :D

Again, I didnt take it negative and I hope you wont my response, it helps to hear honesty from those that are working landrace projects right now or have done it in the past. Consider this my first year of five! When I start my journal I hope you will follow along and give advice!

Sherlock

epitome

epitome

I agree, maybe even 10 yrs depending on your ambition and scale of judgement...i have been working and continue to work multiple landrace/volunteer/wild seed for over 10yrs and i am absoulutely obsessed...clone everything and cull everything that falls short...get ready to cull, cull, cull and the ones that slip by without being cloned and had potential for being a step closer to what your working towards is a salty but humbling experience...lol learn to spot hermaphrodites and dont use males without growing them completely out so you dont use a Male hermy for a father....enjoy the roller coaster of history lesson that is inevitable with the landrace experience...
Peace and LandRace Grease

GreenLion

GreenLion

Great advise @epitome... Ya I recently found seeds I made years ago just messing around. Now I'm really into it. I may never be a for profit breeder but I have fun growing my creations and making babies.
20170816 180853

20170810 084204

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

I totally feel where you're coming from. However, as I've become a connoseuir of sorts as regards landrace, my opinion is that a solid hybrid is generally in order. For example, Oaxacan just feels like you have a blindfold on, so you feel like you need something else to round it out. Thai, which I got in Koh Phagnon, yields like Dr. Grinspoon but is ironically just relaxing. Africans (I'm thinking of my experience with Malawi and Coffee Gold) have a lot of the head trip, but understand you might have to get the plant for 4 months before it's even mature enough to flower.

All that being said, I'd start with Malawi from Ace seeds or a Columbian from Reeferman or Gage Green as they're landraces, but have been pheno selected to be easier. Dig Ace, Snowhigh and some of the others and you should have a lot of genetic building blocks to play with. Best wishes!

thexsitu

thexsitu

Would recommend Sherlock to get some IBL and pure lines from Joe Pietri but they are pricey enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom