Lao landrace LED/Living Soil.

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

I was sent a batch of new seed stock from Lao courtesy of the Real Seed Company and wasn't planning on running them now because I have some of my own crossed seed stock to run but I have extra room this winter and don't want to let them sit for a year. So here it is. 13 in the paper towel.

A classic Lao ganja domesticate from southern Laos. This region is the source of some of the finest of each season’s ‘Thai’, namely the golden seedless ganja known to long-term expats in Thailand.

From seed to harvest, this a 6-month strain. The best of each year’s crop is typically sown around August to September and harvested from February to March. This ensures that flowers receive only minimal rain and ripen during the dry sunny weather at the beginning of the hot season.

Cannabis cultivation in Laos and neighbouring Isan is not exclusive to any particular ethnic group. But among the communities best known for producing first-class ganja in areas such as Sakon Nakhon (Northeast Thailand) and Savannakhet (Laos) are the Phu Thai. Unlike in northern Isan, prohibition has had only minimal effect on traditional ganja culture in Laos. Until very recently, plants were a conspicuous feature of most gardens in Phu Thai villages.

‘Strong musk and spice, but instead of the more usual pungent fruitiness they exibit a mixture of smells ranging from floral, and almost vanilla to buckskin, hardwood, and suncured Turkish tobacco’ writes a grower working with this accession indoors – ‘very different from the tobacco smell of the other Lao lines.

‘Other smells that can be present in a quite subtle way are very ripe banana, carrot tops, white chocolate, fresh cream, and calumus leaves. The smell is somehow smoother as well I think and definitely more complex than the other types. The muskiness is different as well. It’s sharper and more animal-like.’

Lao landrace ledliving soil
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I was sent a batch of new seed stock from Lao courtesy of the Real Seed Company and wasn't planning on running them now because I have some of my own crossed seed stock to run but I have extra room this winter and don't want to let them sit for a year. So here it is. 13 in the paper towel.

A classic Lao ganja domesticate from southern Laos. This region is the source of some of the finest of each season’s ‘Thai’, namely the golden seedless ganja known to long-term expats in Thailand.

From seed to harvest, this a 6-month strain. The best of each year’s crop is typically sown around August to September and harvested from February to March. This ensures that flowers receive only minimal rain and ripen during the dry sunny weather at the beginning of the hot season.

Cannabis cultivation in Laos and neighbouring Isan is not exclusive to any particular ethnic group. But among the communities best known for producing first-class ganja in areas such as Sakon Nakhon (Northeast Thailand) and Savannakhet (Laos) are the Phu Thai. Unlike in northern Isan, prohibition has had only minimal effect on traditional ganja culture in Laos. Until very recently, plants were a conspicuous feature of most gardens in Phu Thai villages.

‘Strong musk and spice, but instead of the more usual pungent fruitiness they exibit a mixture of smells ranging from floral, and almost vanilla to buckskin, hardwood, and suncured Turkish tobacco’ writes a grower working with this accession indoors – ‘very different from the tobacco smell of the other Lao lines.

‘Other smells that can be present in a quite subtle way are very ripe banana, carrot tops, white chocolate, fresh cream, and calumus leaves. The smell is somehow smoother as well I think and definitely more complex than the other types. The muskiness is different as well. It’s sharper and more animal-like.’
Nice! I love landrace strains. I grew a landrace Hindu Kush strain last year. Definitely wanting to get some more landrace strains for grows to come.

growsince79

growsince79

Oh yeah- I'm in for the show. I have them on my wish list.

Homesteader

Homesteader

12 out of 13 ain't half bad. Ill transplant them into soil tomorrow and let the get growing.

IMG 20220915 203922322
Homesteader

Homesteader

@Moe.Red I am in Maine but have spent time in Thailand and can't wait to go back. It is a mysterious place that leaves you dreamin. Pat pong is a little scary though. If a cute girl asks you to hold a balloon in your mouth....don't do it

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I am in Maine but have spent time in Thailand and can't wait to go back.
Ahhh, Maine that's it.

So I don't think I have ever had any Thai strains. Sounds like it's worth looking into? Are they traditional Sativa type plants?

I just popped 10 IBL Durban Poison myself. I like playing with the genetics nature made, it's a different kind of plant appreciation vs. the crazy hybrids these days. Not that those aren't fun too, but there is something almost nostalgic about landraces.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I agree and have grown many in my life. I have yet to find anything comparable to hybrids but mangobiche was the closest I found. I'm actually not really into Thai strains as I found them too racy and made my mind jump to much but I am big on plant structure and love exotics. Smells and flavors are interesting but as highs go thais just are too zippy for me. It could very well be that I harvested too early though

Homesteader

Homesteader

So is the Durban poison from the sensi line I assume? I've grown it and did enjoy it but I think it seemed to have some dutch in it. Could be wrong but Ive grown a lot from that area and it seemed much different than the others. Lesotho, Swaziland and reunion island all had much different characteristics than the Durban. The Durban seemed much stronger in potency and also very wide leaf patterns early on

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So is the Durban poison from the sensi line I assume? I've grown it and did enjoy it but I think it seemed to have some dutch in it. Could be wrong but Ive grown a lot from that area and it seemed much different than the others. Lesotho, Swaziland and reunion island all had much different characteristics than the Durban. The Durban seemed much stronger in potency
It is from a guy that used to be here called @pushrodmonkey. He maintains this line and makes a seed run once a year, this is from last year. I actually scored these seeds from my hero @Moshmen. First time growing them, but I'm told they come from an Alaskan seed bank? Lemme see if I can find that info - I should really know this already. Too many 70's song lyrics clogging up the brain ram, no room left for new stuff.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Found it, Alaska Cannabis Cashe

Beyond your wildest dreams lies a true Durban Poison, originally sourced by Dirty Jim in JoeTown in 1979 when the country was called Rhodesia, and the sweet smell of Anise arising from just sparked spliffs arose each morning to start the day. Spliffs of real Durban Poison the kind that motivates us all to create, work and live more interesting lives, maybe the most motivational strain on the planet

Homesteader

Homesteader

Had a few dampen off and a few get accidentally man handled but they are now inside and probably didn't like the cold nights of Maine but they lived down to 27 degrees one night

IMG 20221003 120828427
IMG 20221003 120810243
IMG 20221003 120759034
growsince79

growsince79

Found it, Alaska Cannabis Cashe

Beyond your wildest dreams lies a true Durban Poison, originally sourced by Dirty Jim in JoeTown in 1979 when the country was called Rhodesia, and the sweet smell of Anise arising from just sparked spliffs arose each morning to start the day. Spliffs of real Durban Poison the kind that motivates us all to create, work and live more interesting lives, maybe the most motivational strain on the planet
I gotta have it. You have any you would trade for landrace Colombian?

Top Bottom