Large outdoor in-ground plants suddenly wilting

• Thread starter Wigglybob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Wigglybob

Completely new to growing, I started some unknown seeds in little pots in January. I ended up getting 10 females to growing season and in the ground in April.

Every plant took off and is huge. Then one of them suddenly started wilting a few weeks ago, then really took a turn and is in bad shape now.

I wasn't worried because the others were growing beautifully. However now I'm seeing similar wilting in the biggest one, just a tiny bit but I'm worried.

I have no way to measure ph, I'm just growing them in the ground next to my regular garden. They each just got a 2nd dose of 1tbsp Osmocote, also 3 doses of dissolved miracle grow but that was about 2 months ago.

The first one died before the second Osmocote which was 4 days ago.

I know this is probably vague, I'm just wondering if there are things I can try to give them a better chance. They were doing so well just being treated like the other outdoor plants.

W

Wigglybob

The one starting to wilt, actually the largest too.
And the one that's pretty much dead.

20230801 161927
20230801 161815
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
A close-up picture of one of the leaves would help. From what I can see, it resembles nitrogen deficiency. I'm wondering about pests or critters, too.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Gophers? Pull out the dead one and see if there are any roots. Gophers can raise hell with them. I hope it’s not. And look around the base of the stalk and see if mice or rats have girdled it completely.

W

Wigglybob

Really appreciate the quick responses.

We did think pests at the roots for the first one, but wondered why only 1 was affected. The 10 plants are packed pretty tight, I had no idea how large they'd grow.

I have insecticidal soap and a separate rodent deterrent.

I also have miracle gro for a quick nitrogen hit, their main fertilizer at this point is Osmocote, a 14/14/14. I was a little afraid of over-fert but we've had plenty of rain.

Maybe just try deterrents for now?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Whatever you want. But inspect the stalks on the two affected ones. I think something is killing them. Just my two cents.

W

Wigglybob

I yanked the dead one and dug 6 inches down and around it. No signs of rodents, just worms and grubs and small amount of ants.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Maybe post a picture of the roots and bottom 4 inches of the stalk

W

Wigglybob

Bottom and the hole. It pulled free of what I thought would be a root ball pretty easily. It was over 6 feet tall.

20230801 171342
20230801 171336
W

Wigglybob

Close up of the largest one starting to wilt. They all look like this at night, due to the cold I assume, but this is a warm day.

20230801 171634
W

Wigglybob

Same patch, but the other side. 2 very bushy ones starting to yellow. It might be nitrogen? These plants are very large and their current fertilizer is a 14/14/14 slow release (Osmocote).

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
No sign of girdling. It’s difficult to tell much about the routes without being there, and pulling it out. Nitrogen usually starts at the bottom and works. It’s way up. I don’t know what to tell ya. Other than the usual, are you sure they’re getting enough water, or not getting too much water! There’s not much roots left on that ball, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t still a bunch in the ground. For a plant to expire in two days usually points to some kind of route trauma. So keep looking and keep posting. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. You’ll have to decide whether to throw more nitrogen at them. It could be it. But the picture of the largest one starting to wilt doesn’t really suggest a nitrogen deficiency. Looks like it has decent color.

Last edited:
W

Wigglybob

No everyone has been a ton of help, thanks for responding. I'm just looking for ideas since I know there are many factors.

Agreed I don't see girdling or chew marks. The roots are much smaller and spread out than I thought, but no signs of burrowing around it. I'll still spray some natural rodent deterrent as we do get rats.

I was slightly afraid of over fertilizing so I'm not sure about adding nitrogen, but they are so large and just got the package recommended osmocote amount recently.

W

Wigglybob

They're also growing next to (more like choking out) romaine lettuce and rhubarb.

And I used bark from splitting wood as a mulch, which does have a little rot under it.

The plants have been getting watered by only rain for months, weather has been perfect periodic rain and sun from what I've seen. Though the dirt is so shaded at this point.

Maybe I've talked myself into it being root rot...

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I hope you get it figured out! Those big plants will transpire quite a bit of water also. Keep that in mind. That’s why I like 35 or 40 gallon pots. Gives you more control over what is happening in the root zone. That route pic you sent and the soil pic look pretty dry. Maybe you’re just under watering them.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
A lot of time rain doesn’t really soak very deep. Great for lawns, but I wouldn’t depend on it for pot plants.

W

Wigglybob

Thanks, if it looks dry I'll trust you. I'm newish to growing in general. They are also on slightly raised soil so maybe the water is running off more than I'm thinking. The past few rains have also been short, despite decent rainfall.

Really appreciate all the advice. I'll try more water and a small bit of miracle gro for nitrogen.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I live in a place where it won’t rain till October. Lol! So I should probably shouldn’t be offering advice to someone who lives back in the Northeast or New England or wherever. Hot and dry. Keep things simple! Lol good luck.

Top Bottom