Large plants dying

• Thread starter napalisherpa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

That is a real worry. Can't believe how quickly it hit too..

zombie III

zombie III

yeah. doesn't sound like there's much we can do to protect our plants though, other than avoid using certain mulches and rotating crops? this is the one knocking out bananas around the world too i think..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, apparently it is what is killing the Cavendish, but I hadn't read that it's striking all bananas.

Ar15

Ar15

I would:

Cover plants wIth tarp immediately andb leave it on for 14 days.

I would give them hygrozyme+rooting hormone+fulvic acid 2-3 feedings at recommended dose.

Then I would pray for the best.

How aerated.is your soil? How many days did you.go without water? Did you get the stalks soaked? Ive got fusarium doin bubble buckets dwc when I first started growing by having the water filled too high and.on the stembi came home and I had to trash a perty NL.
Ive noticed overwatering and underwatering gives plants about 30%-70% wilt where as fusarium 80-95% wilt like real soggy it should be a obvious difference.

I hope you do well brotha.

DarkSpark

DarkSpark

Yes, apparently it is what is killing the Cavendish, but I hadn't read that it's striking all bananas.

I believe it's only the cavendish in danger. But every variety lacks genetic diversity, so it could happen to any of them.

N

napalisherpa

Thank you all so much for your time and consideration!!!!

I apologize for not updating the progress.

We hit them with activonate within a couple days of seeing the first problems, and then we got some myco stop into the soil a few days later. We also went about 10 days only spot watering thirsty plants to make sure that we got them good and dried out.

Were now back to a regular, reduced watering routine. Thankfully no other plants have shown any signs of stress or disease.

I best guess is that they developed fusarium wilt, due in part to overwatering.
Thanks again to everyone for sharing
user_online.gif
reputation.gif
report.gif

ncga

ncga

I have been fighting Fusarium for the last few years. I gave blaze some of what I have had success with but Its to late to use it now. I have my largest plant which is a Satellite Queen which has gotten it each of the past 3 years. Also Pineapple and its crosses. I also found that Brian Berry Cough is susceptible to it.

Things to try that sort of work

Rootshiled plus
Arbico organics has some beneficial nematodes that have worked
Oxidate

I'm doing a soil drench today with .639 oz/ gallon of water

the interesting thing is I place two cuts in each rapid rooter when getting my clones ready. I do this because on can get Fusarium and the second will be fine. I have this on two container. Its just strange how it works. Will post some photos and results of the Oxidate

ethnoman

ethnoman

I don't think it's any single cause, i.e. neither simple hydraulic failure, nor an isolated pathogen attack. Drought-induced mortality occurs through an interdependent set of processes involving hydraulic failure and carbon starvation, which ultimately lowers plant defense mechanisms opening up vulnerability to pathogen attack. Essentially what happens is high temps coupled with low water availability cause stomatal closure in an attempt to prevent dessication. This in turn leads to carbon starvation from lack of photosynthesis. Lack of uptake of water cause embolism and lack of carbohydrates for energy prevent the plant from actively filling those embolisms, weakening the plant to such a point that it effectively has no defenses, as many defense compounds are carbon-based. For plants that are not xerophtyes, this can happen quickly, as they can no adaptations for low water conditions.

diamond2.0

diamond2.0

I have had something like this happen the last couple years with 3 plantys. Never in my 12 years of growing constant has this happened . All were healthy and bammo. Instant wilt death. Could never figure it out. Nothing i would do would stop or phase them . The last time time it happened i ozonated some water as a lasty ditch effort and it worked. The plant totally snapped out of it by morning next day . Then acted like it didnt happen. Hum ?What a trip ! Happened in promix and sunshine mix.

diamond2.0

diamond2.0

How did you ozonize the water?
I have a ozone maker for medical reasons. It makes ozonated water. Happened in cocoa too .
DSC03625

I put the stone in the bucket and let run for 20 minutes or so . For a two gallon bucket. The bigger the longer you let it go. Yep , next step was magnetic paddle and floem electrification.....Just joking on the last part. hehe

Last edited:
diamond2.0

diamond2.0

do plants like Ozonated water?
Im not a scientis and cant speak for the plant itself , but it sure responded nicely. Gives it mass oxygen ...Which they love !Ive rooted with it and on the seedlings they had fuzzy roots. Just cracked. One baby taproot. Had to take a second take . Thought it was mildew at first .lol. The got the Bob Beck treatment. lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom