last clones did horrible :( do-over...

• Thread starter connoisseurde420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

hey mostly rotted and only a couple came thru so far two weeeks later. usully happens with too much water, more on that later.. :/ so I must make it stick this time! don't want my schedule running off lol.

here's my plan:

rokwol cubes soaked in RO water ph 5.8 and some stuff I add : liquid karma 5mlgal, clonex food 5ml, excelurator.75ml, voodoo 10ml

last time I didn't sqeeze the cubes at all when removing them from the soak solution, causing half of them to rot at 3-4 days from cut. over the next few days more died than I expected and making me take more cuts.

from there I go with fresh scalpel, cut branch, clonex root gel dip, azos dip, azamax dip leaves, then finally in to rokwol(sp?) cubes.

from here in to clone dome. I spray the tops lightly and leave the vents atleast half open. sometimes all the way. I have a small temp/humidity gauge to help if I'm not feeling sure of myself. 90+Rh for first couple days then back off over a few days to fully open vents. no spraying or watering cubes after the first day for atleast a week, usually when roots come thru to suck up moisture.

hope this helps some one gonna post pics too as the week goes on til they have roots

here's pics of the gsc I'm gonna cut today. ..

Last clones did horrible  do over
Last clones did horrible  do over 2
connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

cubes and dips...

don't forget to pour clone gel in to separate container to keep it clean...

IMAG0266 1040491881
vaporedout

vaporedout

sounds like a lot of stuff. i just did my very first clone run and use ro, olivias clone gel, and that was it. 20/20 on my babies. after about 5 days i added roots accelerator from H&G in with their watering. i only watered the dome, not the leaves. i also used those jiffy pelletts. they seem to hold water good so i just kept spraying the hood. its in my outdoor grow diary 2013. good luck

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

thanks man.. been cloning about 8 years but I fudge it from time to time. sounds like you have a good plan.
I do add a lot of stuff but everything I add is mostly for after they have rooted to start the grow cycle as soon as possible. took about a week or two off my veg time by taking care of my clones better. I actully see new growth on top couple days before they root. pics to follow...

IMAG02681036063298
IMAG0270 1789162169
Classic Remix

Classic Remix

yeah that is way too much stuff IMO for a clone. i know you're trying to "help" by giving them all that but most are snake oils when it comes to cloning. i use pure WATER. phd at 5.5 and thats it. no micro bloom nothin. and the dip n wash and stuff isnt helping it. it needs all that energy into putting in roots not doing other stuff.

i never squeezed my cubes when i was in rockwool either, they need to stay wet and keep that stem moist. i would spray em about every 4-5 days until heavy too.

what ive learned - bigger cuts are way better. start with a bigger plant and more nodes, and has the energy to root QUICK.

all these clips were about a foot tall total, 6 or so inches in the cloner and the rest were like 6-8 node tops above....
IMG 0844

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

I see no good reason to avoid a clone machine. Broke down and bought an EZ-cloner years ago and havent looked back at pellets or rockwool ever since.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

i have wanted to buy one for years but haven't justified the cost yet. and more importantly keeping the water at temp was a problem until I started running a chiller recently...so I may start looking in to them again.

quote="Oregon Panda, post: 1084332, member: 38274"]I see no good reason to avoid a clone machine. Broke down and bought an EZ-cloner years ago and havent looked back at pellets or rockwool ever since.[/quote]

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

interesting to see others methods in this department. I started using just clonex and water not ph from city tap lol. things I have added have been tested side by side by myself...

if I don't use clonex they yellow as soon as they roo. when this old bottle that I just happen to have runs out I'm gonna just use a bit of grow feed at the same ppms

azos cuts down the amount of feed I do and starts them growing faster.

excelurator made my cuts go from rooting to... standing on top of roots. cubes not touching tray. since I added to my program over all my plants establish faster after transplant

liquid karma could go don't know why I did it this time.

all cuts usually rooted well at 14 days but can be left for up to 2 extra week's of needed with only water. first roots at 8 days..

yeah that is way too much stuff IMO for a clone. i know you're trying to "help" by giving them all that but most are snake oils when it comes to cloning. i use pure WATER. phd at 5.5 and thats it. no micro bloom nothin. and the dip n wash and stuff isnt helping it. it needs all that energy into putting in roots not doing other stuff.

i never squeezed my cubes when i was in rockwool either, they need to stay wet and keep that stem moist. i would spray em about every 4-5 days until heavy too.

what ive learned - bigger cuts are way better. start with a bigger plant and more nodes, and has the energy to root QUICK.

all these clips were about a foot tall total, 6 or so inches in the cloner and the rest were like 6-8 node tops above....
View attachment 327400

nice roots there do you spray the tops at all? how many days in is that? might convince me to get one...

F

FruitOfTheLabor

I suggest anyone who is having any troubles with cloning.. to try a product called Anti Wilt.. u let ur clones sit in a solution for a few.. and then spray them with a solution also.. it puts a protective coating on the clones and then makes it harder for them to dry out. leaving them more green and helps them stay healthier until rooting.. so theres minimal stress so they take off for veg. if ur having problems with rot or something id say if u spray them with anti wilt.. u can leave the dome off if the humidity in the room isn't tooo low.. below 60 is to low.. but anti wilt has solved all my issues wen trying to clone during the hot ass summer days.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

tried a anti wilt before and it fired my shit a long time ago tho. what's your lighting situation? mine are looking awesome got two batches looking good right now

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
my 2 cents-
yellowing is generally from overwatering and/or heat issues in regards to cloning with rock wool, unless it's fully rooted and not being fed. Classic Remix is right, all you need is tap water, you don't even have to pH it honestly, cause there's nothing for them to eat.

As to wet rockwool cubes, when you presoak them, be gentle in the drying process, no squeezing, I use to just use a few snaps of the wrist, but now my salad spinner takes care of all the work, with no aching wrists anymore.

As for wilting, I cut my clones to the desired length and place them in cups of tap water about 2" high for at least a day. This revives the cutting's turgor pressure. Since I've done that, I've seen zero wilting after placing the cutting in the medium, whether its an aerocloner or rw cubes.

I'm not saying your way is wrong, but what's with all the spraying and humidity dome? 1 week between watering your rw cube? That's asking for rot.

With rockwool cube watering, I've always followed Al b. Fucts advice. Just dip one corner of the cube and count to 2, that should be enough water.

As for lighting, I recently have been following the rev's advice, using 23 watt cfl (6500K) 18-25" over my clones. works nice as a stand alone, but I can get great success just putting my cloner on the floor outside the perimeter of a 250 watt hps. In reality, the clones just need to have minimum light, and 18 hours is just enough.

You can go bubble cloning without spending a fortune, though the ez cloner is real nice. low profile bins, especially with a nice flat top, some paint, and bubble tubes will get you 100% success for about 40-50 bucks.

DSC 5267

ok so thats more than 2 cents, but it's tried and true.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

thanks for your input. Seeing what others are doing helps a lot...

don't think I'm over watering but definately don't water cubes for first week, maybe half way thru second. with the vents all open on top, and a heat pad under them. last run I didn't use the heat pad or squeeze any water out...

yellowing I was refering to was happening as they were rooting in the second week. So about the time they need food. I like to let them sit a week or two before I plant, helps keep them from being over watered in the first week.

I sometimes leave my clones in water while I am cutting but only for 10-30 min usully. Ive heard references to turgor pressure cited for doing this so thanks 4 that tip

I have the parts from my DIY cloner that I never used cause I needed a chiller. I have one now just haven't gotten around to it... maybe a thread for it.

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Totally agree, as for the chiller, I'd probably need one. However, I figured out that if I hang my pumps by the a/c vent, that cold air transfers through the air pumps and my water never gets too warm fwiw. To be honest, almost all methods of cloning can be 100% successful IF the mothers are nice and healthy. Man, I love cloning threads!

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

sweet idea with the air pumps lol.. I want the DIY cloner maybe its the thought that it would eliminate cubes and rooting gel from my cost... feel another clone thread coming on LOL.

Bo0m

Bo0m

#TempleOfBoomMagikBeanCo
Supporter
Fucking heat wave just fried my hole batch :(

Cort

Cort

I find that preheating my rockwool just about stopped my wilting. I crank my heater pad up to high, get them toasty and get the cuts in. By the time I fill a tray they are about optimal temps. Cold cubes always fuck up my cuts.

vaporedout

vaporedout

now that i looked mine drooped the first day, gonna try next time to heat up the pellets.... maybe soaking them in hot water??
DSC00748

then when i went to burp them the next day they looked fine.
DSC00764

forgot to ask, what were your temps in the room?? your humidity was about right. i did my clones in the bathroom tub. had a heater in there and kept things about 85 degrees. not sure on the humidity but my dome

Cort

Cort

I am not saying I recommend hot water. But my observations led me to think room temp water + sitting exposed, thus cooling further was stressful. Put the cubes in the tray, cover it, put it where it will be when your cuts are in it. Should be enough.

Ever have a fish tank? Bring a new fish home and you let the bag float a bit to equalize temps so you dont shock the fish... right? Slam that fish from 80 degree air into 65 degree cube... if you follow my bass ackward logic.

Top Bottom