Leading Medical Marijuana Lab Raided In Pasadena

• Thread starter Ladyv
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ladyv

Ladyv

And now for another frustrating piece of California news...

Pasadena police raided a prominent medical marijuana lab in Southern California, The Werc Shop, Monday evening.

According to reports, Pasadena Police raided The Werc Shop in Pasadena at 10 p.m., Monday night, detaining 28 people and ultimately arresting 2 — Jeffrey Raber, 39, of Whittier and Mark Piesner, 43, of Calabasas on suspicion in manufacturing a controlled substance.

The Werc Shop is a leading cannabis analysis laboratory in Southern California, and performs potency and pathogen testing on southland medical cannabis for dispensaries, collectives and patients.

Raber has a Ph.D. in chemistry from USC and The Werc Shop was founded in 2010 “despite the inherent risk personally and professionally,” Raber states online. “Tremendous community support quickly resulted in The Werc Shop being recognized as a leading cannabis laboratory.”

According to reports, an anonymous tip about cannabis odor led local police to two Werc Shop sites in Pasadena. Police said they seized “200 pint-sized bottles” of hash oil, 500 pounds of marijuana and found a “manufacturing factory for hash oil or honey oil.”

“Hash oil” is one name for a variety of extracts of cannabis made using a chemical solvent, most often butane or carbon dioxide. None of the police photos corroborate charges of an extraction lab. The photos are consistent with an analytical laboratory. Raber did not answer calls for comment Tuesday and has not released a statement.

The legality of California’s analytical cannabis labs — which test medical marijuana for potency and pathogens — is subject to dispute. They are not specifically legalized under Proposition 215 or SB 420, and operators could be subjected to federal or state charges for handling marijuana, depending on the jurisdiction. But several California cities mandate cannabis be tested at such labs before being sold to patients.

The legality of extraction labs hinges on a California Appellate Court ruling which criminalizes cannabis extraction using butane, but allows for extraction using inflammable solvents like water.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
How about Alcohol for extraction? Is that also illegal under state laws? It`s flammable but not explosive. Grain alcohol is also less of a medical concern and completely evaporates. I actually prefer old fashion dry pressed hash myself, but just wondering.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

How about Alcohol for extraction? Is that also illegal under state laws? It`s flammable but not explosive. Grain alcohol is also less of a medical concern and completely evaporates. I actually prefer old fashion dry pressed hash myself, but just wondering.

Ethanol extraction legality varies from state to state.
It's usually covered by zoning laws.

Federally, solvent extraction is a patent violation.
The federal government has patented the process.

Feel free.
Wee

TurtleTree

TurtleTree

Agreed there. 500lbs in the back+ hash lol noo way thats on the up and up. Sucks they were raided but its risky stuff. Wish some rules were made for these testing sites...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
500 lbs on site is no testing lab...silly rabbits

.5 grams sample required per test...that's like 452,000 testing samples on hand
The lab I used wants 1.5g/sample to test for cannabinoids. I won't try to do the math beyond that. I just hope that this won't lead to a crackdown on laboratories as many (most?) dispensaries want product tested.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
A Liquid Mass Spectrum test only needs .5 grams to test..I'm just saying

Actually the same thing happened out here a few years ago..one of the testing labs was processing samples and marketing an extract product back to the very dispensaries they were testing for...the got caught and shut down needless to say

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
A Liquid Mass Spectrum test only needs .5 grams to test..I'm just saying

Actually the same thing happened out here a few years ago..one of the testing labs was processing samples and marketing an extract product back to the very dispensaries they were testing for...the got caught and shut down needless to say
If they want more than that, is there something up with that lab? By that I mean, should I be wary of using such a lab that wants.. what, 3x what's actually required?

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I would hope they are looking to get three samples so they can average them to get the best results. Different samples may vary a little , even from the same plant. Am I right?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
The ones I know of only test a second time if the first test is off the map some how...none do multiple test as part of the standard protocol..

I guess if a testing facility is busy they could be generating a couple lbs a week in extra weight that their clients basically just give them...I mean just one grow location can do 80-100 test a week and that's not even a very big one, just imagine if there were 30-40 grows doing the same thing, weight can stack up quick.

We do alot of testing and we are starting to get the impression that they don't even test all the sample sent it. They have started to create a strain data base and have potency curves per strain and per method of growing and they just grab a number out of that arch and send it back to you. Some even as much offer that exact service for you to have on site at your facility which is basically an optical comparetor for weed.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We do alot of testing and we are starting to get the impression that they don't even test all the sample sent it. They have started to create a strain data base and have potency curves per strain and per method of growing and they just grab a number out of that arch and send it back to you. Some even as much offer that exact service for you to have on site at your facility which is basically an optical comparetor for weed.
And still charge you for that? Is this lab also testing for terpenes, pesticides/contaminants as well as molds?

Calixylon

Calixylon

If I ran a testing company I'd ask for a 1.5 g so I could test .5, smoke .5, and store and catalogue .5 g. How awesome would a catalogued system of cannabis strains along with like .5 g Nug encased in some urethAne or something.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Yep...its a total racket... we are required to test every lb on the rec side so you could easily do 80-100 test a month and we figured it out and there is no way for them to process that many samples from all of the different grows in the time frames the do, just not physically possible..they would have to complete a test from start to finish in a couple seconds and the process just doesn't work that way

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What about stuff like contamination and molds? (I'd like to know how the mold testing is done, too.)

I suppose with however much schooling they've gotta put in.. I dunno.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Colorado testing labs do not test for mycotoxins or pesticides

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Huh, I assumed they would. Interesting.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Only canabinoid profile/potency, none of the other test are required by the state at this point so no one test for them. If the state makes the test a requirement then I am sure they will start to test for them

Top Bottom