Learning how to start own seed genetics

• Thread starter Hayin_
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
You can buy a regular pack of seeds and once you figure out which ones are the males you separate them and then chose which one has the best growth, structure, etc. you then put the male in with some female plants and flip to flower. You can also just flip the male and collect his pollen and when you grow out some females you can use a Qtip or small brush to pollinate only select flower sites. That way you can still have lots of bud and only a few select buds that are fully seeded.

You can also use a female and spray reversal spray to make her throw pollen. The pollen collected from a female will create feminized seeds.

H

Hayin_

Thank you so much this was very helpful I have a lot of regs that were sent in as freebies and didn’t know how to go about growing them

H

Hayin_

And there’s nothing out there about the strains at all can’t even find people that have grown them

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

So one is called trail mix and the other I think is called salami leg
Trail mix sounds good af, not so sure about salami leg lmao. Definitely give us a smoke report on these when you do grow them out, if you get any females, which im sure you will get at least 1

H

Hayin_

May not be same genetics but its salami leg I

May not be same genetics but its salami leg lol
im going to check this out thank you lol
Trail mix sounds good af, not so sure about salami leg lmao. Definitely give us a smoke report on these when you do grow them out, if you get any females, which im sure you will get at least 1
Lmdao yeah salami leg is very questionable I will definitely come back and let y’all know how they go I have like 3 packs of the salami leg 3 seeds a pouch

mrcrispy13

mrcrispy13

What constitutes 'a stable line of genetics'? Certainly not the majority of seeds currently being sold online. Definitely not something you can grow with less than 5yrs of aggressive professional large scale farming. Science suggests that it requires 10 generations of inbreeding to 'lock' a phenotype and stabilize genetics.

"Two populations of breeding stock with desired characteristics are subjected to inbreeding until the homozygosity of the population exceeds a certain level, usually 90% or more. Typically, this requires more than 10 generations." ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F1_hybrid )

If I were running a legal, funded farm project to do this, I would use simple side-crossing methods. Backcrossing also works.

a) (Year1) Breed two chosen phenotypes producing as much seed as possible
b) (Year2) Grow out 100 females, and 100 males; choosing the 'best' 10 of each, again breeding for as much seed as possible
c thru l) (Years 3 thru 12) repeat step B

Even this is a very simple approach and would work better scaled up maybe 10-100x in volume and using genetics & chemical testing to make phenotype selections when choosing the 'best' plants for each next generation.

My current project started leisurely in 2011 (its now F4) since twice I found grow outs of a 1-2 dozen plants didnt surface any males worth moving forward with. Females are the easy part...ever tried to grow an isolated tent full of monster keeper males? Tricky.

Top Bottom