Leaves curling with a yellowish and glossy looking tint

• Thread starter Harley.Freeman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Harley.Freeman

Heya,

I am trying to figure out how to use this site and post on this forum... lol. I have literally never posted on a forum ever and I've tried to start a thread like 2 or 3 times, just so I can have an open platform/conversation with some knowledgeable folks to see if I can get anybody to respond about any problems I may come across or even if I can help answer any questions as well!

I have a question about my two girls in early veg.

About two days ago now I topped these girls and also did a little defoliating

I gave them a feeding later in the day, the pot felt like the right weight and relatively light. I wasn't liking the fox farm nutrients I had them on before so I went to something different ( Cold War Organic - Bud Bread - dry ), not liquid like the other stuff. I checked the ph and it seemed to be like 6.3 so I thought that would be alright, I mixed like 2/3 teaspoon to be safe and it recommended 1 whole teaspoon.

The leaves started looking as if they were curling up on the sides instead of of how they were which was nice big full leaves, I will attach pics though and there was also yellowish spots with a sort of glossyness with it as well

Idk if I they are okay and I should just leave them or if I need to think about doing something or make adjustments. I of course have been doing a lot of research but would like another opinion.

I'm not sure if its from the PH, maybe one of the nutrients in the CWO Bud Bread which is high in potassium and calcium, all of the other ingredients are below 5 percent. It could be the light but up until now I haven't had any issues that could possibly be from it( could be the height in which I have it but I have tried adjusting that as well. Air flow and circulation are good, no bugs from what I have seen.

I could use all the help I can get! Thanks guy!

Leaves curling with a yellowish and glossy looking tint
Leaves curling with a yellowish and glossy looking tint 2
Leaves curling with a yellowish and glossy looking tint 3
Leaves curling with a yellowish and glossy looking tint 4
Leaves curling with a yellowish and glossy looking tint 5
H

Harley.Freeman

Harley,

Glossy could mean dried sap from a sucking insect. Turn the leaves over. Do you see delicate small insects on the underside?
I have inspected these guys from all angles I haven't seen any insects/bugs whatsoever. Which is great but leaves me still not knowing what going in.

H

Harley.Freeman

I can try to rinse them off. I'll come back and let you know. It seems to have happened so fast that's why I'm concerned a bit, they almost look depleted. Don't know if something like this could happen from topping the plant either.

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

Heya,

I am trying to figure out how to use this site and post on this forum... lol. I have literally never posted on a forum ever and I've tried to start a thread like 2 or 3 times, just so I can have an open platform/conversation with some knowledgeable folks to see if I can get anybody to respond about any problems I may come across or even if I can help answer any questions as well!

I have a question about my two girls in early veg.

About two days ago now I topped these girls and also did a little defoliating

I gave them a feeding later in the day, the pot felt like the right weight and relatively light. I wasn't liking the fox farm nutrients I had them on before so I went to something different ( Cold War Organic - Bud Bread - dry ), not liquid like the other stuff. I checked the ph and it seemed to be like 6.3 so I thought that would be alright, I mixed like 2/3 teaspoon to be safe and it recommended 1 whole teaspoon.

The leaves started looking as if they were curling up on the sides instead of of how they were which was nice big full leaves, I will attach pics though and there was also yellowish spots with a sort of glossyness with it as well

Idk if I they are okay and I should just leave them or if I need to think about doing something or make adjustments. I of course have been doing a lot of research but would like another opinion.

I'm not sure if its from the PH, maybe one of the nutrients in the CWO Bud Bread which is high in potassium and calcium, all of the other ingredients are below 5 percent. It could be the light but up until now I haven't had any issues that could possibly be from it( could be the height in which I have it but I have tried adjusting that as well. Air flow and circulation are good, no bugs from what I have seen.

I could use all the help I can get! Thanks guy!
Your plant looks for the most part, fine. Don't do anything to her. Leave her alone for a little while. The leaf cupping could be a few different things, this is where you need to remember what you've done. I've had them cup from light stress, heat stress overfeedings. If you just watered with nutrients skip your next nutrient feeding and give her clean ph'd water. For what its worth I've grown plants with just the ffof trio and they went great. Some plants are picky though. If she's in ffof and that pots any bigger than a red solo cup, she doesn't need nutrients right now. I've kept plants in ffof in a red solo cup for a literal month before they begin to get nitrogen deficiency and even then, they were root bound and still pulling through fine. Slow, but they were fine.

H

Harley.Freeman

Your plant looks for the most part, fine. Don't do anything to her. Leave her alone for a little while. The leaf cupping could be a few different things, this is where you need to remember what you've done. I've had them cup from light stress, heat stress overfeedings. If you just watered with nutrients skip your next nutrient feeding and give her clean ph'd water. For what its worth I've grown plants with just the ffof trio and they went great. Some plants are picky though. If she's in ffof and that pots any bigger than a red solo cup, she doesn't need nutrients right now. I've kept plants in ffof in a red solo cup for a literal month before they begin to get nitrogen deficiency and even then, they were root bound and still pulling through fine. Slow, but they were fine.
Okay thank you for your advice! You don't think there is possible root rot happening. Also they are about 39 days old. I had gotten them from a buddy who grew them from seed at about a month me said.

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

Okay thank you for your advice! You don't think there is possible root rot happening. Also they are about 39 days old. I had gotten them from a buddy who grew them from seed at about a month me said.
Hard to say. Root rot really only occurs when you over water. It can happen otherways but thats it a lot of the time. The soil NEEDS to dry out to prevent bad bacteria from taking hold, as well as allowing your roots to uptake oxygen. Id bet money on heat or light stress though. If your keen on reading up on it just Google anaerobic bacteria and you'll see what I'm talking about and why root rot really only happens when you over water repeatedly, or just don't let the soil dry enough.

Should add, you don't want anaerobic bacteria in your soil. Or atleast not a lot of them.

H

Harley.Freeman

Hard to say. Root rot really only occurs when you over water. It can happen otherways but thats it a lot of the time. The soil NEEDS to dry out to prevent bad bacteria from taking hold, as well as allowing your roots to uptake oxygen. Id bet money on heat or light stress though. If your keen on reading up on it just Google anaerobic bacteria and you'll see what I'm talking about and why root rot really only happens when you over water repeatedly, or just don't let the soil dry enough.

Should add, you don't want anaerobic bacteria in your soil. Or atleast not a lot of them.
Okay thank you! I think that is really good advice and I appreciate all the help

H

Harley.Freeman

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how dry I need to let them get. I have been watering every 3 days about. I have been keeping an eye on the weight of the pots I have them in. But maybe I need to let them dry out just a lil longer then what I have been.

H

Harley.Freeman

Also should I be watering to tbe point of run off? I make sure not to have any but don't know if I should be watering them less often but with a little more water. If that makes sense.

wobbleysausage

wobbleysausage

Also should I be watering to tbe point of run off? I make sure not to have any but don't know if I should be watering them less often but with a little more water. If that makes sense.
So, in soil generally you should water until you get some run off. I don't remember the exact amount but for my 5 gallons I push a little over a gallon through and get run off. BUT, and here's where experience comes in. My current girl (you can see some pictures on my last post) is root bound from being in her pot too long in veg. You can make this work if you are experienced, I am not. Back to my point. A root bound plant will have water coming out the drain holes literally right after you start watering because of how dense the roots are and especially if your soil is extremely dry because peat moss will become hydrophobic in those cases. You'll see your soil slightly pull away from the sides of your container in those cases. Idk what substrate your in but a lot of soils are peat moss. To add to the equation, if your using liquid feed what that is is essentially the nutrients your plant needs broken down completely in a usable form. This form is a salt. You want to try to wash the old salts out hence the "flush" idea. Whether this is true or not i don't personally know as I said I don't normally water to run off. But people will recommend that you do so. I don't believe you can just water out nutrients. Sure some of them will, especially water soluable ones. But its not that simple. Nutrients bind to the soil. Nutrients can even come from microbial life which is where you'll hear feed your soil. To really get all those nutrients out with water you would need to run something through it that can pull them out imo water itself alone cant. Anytime I've heard someone flush their plant after encountering issues myself included, has made it worse. Maybe it works but thats for you to try. Anyways that was a huge wall of text but I want to help people and its really a maze of different answers constantly. You have to arm yourself with knowledge. and then you get to decipher whats proven and whats just believed because they aren't the same.

H

Harley.Freeman

So, in soil generally you should water until you get some run off. I don't remember the exact amount but for my 5 gallons I push a little over a gallon through and get run off. BUT, and here's where experience comes in. My current girl (you can see some pictures on my last post) is root bound from being in her pot too long in veg. You can make this work if you are experienced, I am not. Back to my point. A root bound plant will have water coming out the drain holes literally right after you start watering because of how dense the roots are and especially if your soil is extremely dry because peat moss will become hydrophobic in those cases. You'll see your soil slightly pull away from the sides of your container in those cases. Idk what substrate your in but a lot of soils are peat moss. To add to the equation, if your using liquid feed what that is is essentially the nutrients your plant needs broken down completely in a usable form. This form is a salt. You want to try to wash the old salts out hence the "flush" idea. Whether this is true or not i don't personally know as I said I don't normally water to run off. But people will recommend that you do so. I don't believe you can just water out nutrients. Sure some of them will, especially water soluable ones. But its not that simple. Nutrients bind to the soil. Nutrients can even come from microbial life which is where you'll hear feed your soil. To really get all those nutrients out with water you would need to run something through it that can pull them out imo water itself alone cant. Anytime I've heard someone flush their plant after encountering issues myself included, has made it worse. Maybe it works but thats for you to try. Anyways that was a huge wall of text but I want to help people and its really a maze of different answers constantly. You have to arm yourself with knowledge. and then you get to decipher whats proven and whats just believed because they aren't the same.
Thank you I agree with every bit of info you've given me. I'm gonna keep all of this in mind and try to get my girls back on track!

H

Harley.Freeman

I'll have to send you those pictures in the AM I forgot lights go off at 6pm til midnight here. I will definitely report back with pics though! I am very interested to know if you see anything I may have not. Thank you again!

Also I pulled them each aside and looked very closely at all of the leaves and all of the ins and outs of the plants along with looking through some of the soil. It wouldn't surprise me if I missed something though my sight isn't always the best.

PianoStan

PianoStan

I'm in the middle of my first grow. So feel free to take the advice of those more experienced than me. However, I too had those "taco" shaped leaves start to appear on week 3 of my grow. I consulted my encyclopedia of marijuana, and was told that it was a sign of overwatering. This made sense to me since I had turned on the hydroponic drip feed just the day before.

Yellow spots are also a sign of overwatering (as well as other things). I got those during week 2 when I first tried to start the hydroponics.

Given that you have two signs of overwatering, I would bet that is your primary issue. The good news is that when I turned off the hydroponic system after getting those signs, it took less than a day for them to recover. Although the leaves that had the worst yellowing did need to be trimmed off as they didn't really recover and were just rotting on the stem. (ALL of those were leaves near the roots that were sprayed continuously from the hydro system)

As for how often to water, that depends on how developed/thirsty your plant is. My encyclopedia says that if growing in soil, one should push their finger into the soil up to the first knuckle. If it is dry, then you need to water. Since I'm doing a hydro grow, the other members of this forum will be a much better source of information on that front.

Good luck.

Top Bottom