LED distance from plants opinion?

• Thread starter UrbanGardener
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

Hey guys,

I'm working with constricted space in a tent at the moment 80X45X80 CM, running a Roleadro 300W LED with built in fans. There's adequate ventilation via intake and exhaust and daytime temps are around 25 degrees C. I'm struggling to get the light any higher (although I can get it a tiny bit higher if I make some more laborious adjustments).

Despite all this the plant is early in veg and only 13 inches from the lights. Could this be too close / could the plant be getting too much light? I've noticed a bit of leaf curl on new growth and slow general growth all round. I should also note that the plant has had a tough start in general due to possible overwatering and nutrient deficiency lack of coco buffering.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

UG

Led distance from plants opinion
Led distance from plants opinion 2
Led distance from plants opinion 3
Led distance from plants opinion 4
BamaBushes32

BamaBushes32

With your plant being so young I would take it up higher and let plant grow to the light! I have had my Vipaspectra 600, 12 inches from canopy during flower and it was fine! So you should be ok with that distance when the plan gets a little older. Is the light brand new? It looks like it’s getting to lmuch of something. Either light or water? I’m having trouble with my quantum board distance. Seems to want strip with green out of my plant?

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

With your plant being so young I would take it up higher and let plant grow to the light! I have had my Vipaspectra 600, 12 inches from canopy during flower and it was fine! So you should be ok with that distance when the plan gets a little older. Is the light brand new? It looks like it’s getting to lmuch of something. Either light or water? I’m having trouble with my quantum board distance. Seems to want strip with green out of my plant?

Thanks Bama. I've managed to now get it up to 16' distance with some adjusting so hopefully that helps. It is a brand new light. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and see how it goes.

Re quantum board - that's interesting, what stage is the plant at?

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

This is a crap led light. Did you ever see pink light(or blurple light for that matter) in nature? ASAP replace it. If $$$ is an issue, go to Lowes/HD buy a 3-4 bulb vanity fixture and buy NW LED spot lights

If you have ~ $170 look at Spider Farmer SF 1000. Note how their diode choices imitate sun light spectrums. Plus over time you can add more

hth

Last edited:
ru knuts

ru knuts

I'd turn the the bloom switch off, if it has one. I also think once you get to the stretch you're going to need to make some major modification, height wise. I'd start planning ahead if it were me.

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

This is a crap led light. Did you ever see pink light(or blurple light for that matter) in nature? ASAP replace it. If $$$ is an issue, go to Lowes/HD buy a 3-4 bulb vanity fixture and buy NW LED spot lights

If you have ~ $170 look at Spider Farmer SF 1000. Note how their diode choices imitate sun light spectrums. Plus over time you can add more

hth

I appreciate your opinion PhatNuggz and bluntness. You're right, it is a cheap / average light, however are you telling me that plants don't grow well under mixed spectrum LED light? Because if so, I'd say a lot of growers using non-sunlight imitating LED lights would disagree with you.

I'm saving for a sunlight spectrum LED fixture right nw.

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

I'd turn the the bloom switch off, if it has one. I also think once you get to the stretch you're going to need to make some major modification, height wise. I'd start planning ahead if it were me.

Hey ru knuts, unfortunately it doesn't have spectrum switches - I'm going to invest in a new light I think. And yes, modofications!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Hey ru knuts, unfortunately it doesn't have spectrum switches - I'm going to invest in a new light I think. And yes, modofications!
If you are interested in a new light, consider this one. It has the newer lm301H diodes and more power for less money.

Kingbrite
ru knuts

ru knuts

My blurples recommends 30" above the plant in veg, and that is with only veg switch on. But I've never had them 30" myself.
I have a couple SP250's and t5's, but still use the blurples, I throw as much like at the girls as I can.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

TBH even throwing a few 3000-5000k light bulbs around that blurple would likely make a difference.

LED distance is based on a number of factors, including the light intensity, the age of the seedling, and how many lights there are.

Each plant can only eat so much every day. That's the DLI (Daily light interval). For cannabis, it's 65 MOL (Thanks @Anthem !) per square meter per day in flower, and roughly 40 for veg. The role of the light is to feed the plant, so you'll never reach DLI because that light is only partially feeding the plant. It's like trying to live by only eating bananas.

Here's why the blurple won't give good results. They're excellent as supplemental lights to white light, not to be grown under by themselves.

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

I appreciate your opinion PhatNuggz and bluntness. You're right, it is a cheap / average light, however are you telling me that plants don't grow well under mixed spectrum LED light? Because if so, I'd say a lot of growers using non-sunlight imitating LED lights would disagree with you.

I'm saving for a sunlight spectrum LED fixture right nw.

See this is the bummer. Here you are asking for advise and someone tells you the honest truth about the lights and you get upset. There is like 5 of you guys a week jumping on this site asking for advise and well someone gives it and you may not like the truth. The Burple lights are not going to give you what you really want and that is the point. Will they grow some buds yes, but not like the real stuff.
I just love the comments, it is really bright. Well how do you really know that? Have you seen what the high end stuff puts out?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

TBH even throwing a few 3000-5000k light bulbs around that blurple would likely make a difference.

I've said that before myself. It provides a more balance full spectrum if that makes sense. I think I'd go the led shop light route though. They usually come in 2' and 4' lengths. I bought some from Amazon over the winter I bought a bulk pack (10) and paid like $10.00 a piece or something like that. Harbor Freight, if they are open in your area (or even in your area) also stocks those 4' LED shoplights in 5000k. They are more than $10.00 but they aren't expensive and you could easily pick up several if you felt you needed to.

ru knuts

ru knuts

See this is the bummer. Here you are asking for advise and someone tells you the honest truth about the lights and you get upset. There is like 5 of you guys a week jumping on this site asking for advise and well someone gives it and you may not like the truth. The Burple lights are not going to give you what you really want and that is the point. Will they grow some buds yes, but not like the real stuff.
I just love the comments, it is really bright. Well how do you really know that? Have you seen what the high end stuff puts out?
Sometimes people just have to use what they got or money dictates what one can afford. My first real attempted grow (26 years ago) was with a mercury and hps yard lights. It didn't give me top shelf weed, but it gave me some dam good smoke.
We've all made mistakes and learn, but you don't need Cadillac lighting for personal smoke.

Anthem

Anthem

LED distance is based on a number of factors, including the light intensity, the age of the seedling, and how many lights there are.

Each plant can only eat so much every day. That's the DLI (Daily light interval). For cannabis, it's 65 micromoles per square meter per day in flower, and roughly 40 for veg. The role of the light is to feed the plant, so you'll never reach DLI because that light is only partially feeding the plant. It's like trying to live by only eating bananas.

Here's why the blurple won't give good results. They're excellent as supplemental lights to white light, not to be grown under by themselves.

Someone that gets it at LAST. Just one item Kanzeon, I think he is changes Micros to MOLs.

Anthem

Anthem

Sometimes people just have to use what they got or money dictates what one can afford. My first real attempted grow (26 years ago) was with a mercury and hps yard lights. It didn't give me top shelf weed, but it gave me some dam good smoke.
We've all made mistakes and learn, but you don't need Cadillac lighting for personal smoke.
Cadillac lighting for personal smoke, yes we need that!!!!!!!!!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Use what you have. That part is not a problem. Many here use blurple leds for suplimental lighting. Those who do seem to think it adds something to the flower. If money is super tight right now (and it is for so many), use what you have for now, maybe add a 3000k LED light bulb like was previously suggested. Just try to get some white light in there. Hopefully money will not always be tight and simply make it a goal to upgrade your lighting as money permits.

Anthem

Anthem

Well sure. I'm in a much better financial position than I was when I first started too.
It is kind of sad because the Chinese POS lights get them every time. I might be into the Cadillac lights but there is nothing wrong with HLG's. I do not own one but it looks like they will produce decent smoke.
It really is just messed up, they all come on this site with there new tent and set up and there is that Burple light. The bummer is the 2 or 3 hundred they spent on the light and it is junk.

ru knuts

ru knuts

It is kind of sad because the Chinese POS lights get them every time. I might be into the Cadillac lights but there is nothing wrong with HLG's. I do not own one but it looks like they will produce decent smoke.
It really is just messed up, they all come on this site with there new tent and set up and there is that Burple light. The bummer is the 2 or 3 hundred they spent on the light and it is junk.
Can't argue that one bit. I made the mistake myself, but I'm going to use it as a supplement until it dies, than I'll try to put some cob's in it if the drivers are still good and run it till it won't run anymore, every watt counts doesn't it?

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

First of all, I'm not upset, not sure what would make you think that based on what I said. A strange observation to be honest.

Secondly, I acknowledged that I appreciated your opinion and that you took the time reply. I don't appreciate the reference to being one of 'you guys', as if you're on a completely superior level to me or that I'm grouped with people who might not listen or take advice.

You come across as extremely entitled and judgemental which has disappointing considering you're on a forum with individuals asking for advise who are at all ends of the growing experience spectrum. Did you have to start somewhere? Yes, I can imagine you did.

Don't group me with other people by quoting 'it is really bright', I said nothing like that nor justify my light based on it. I'm new to LED growing and am learning as I am going along.

Also to reiterate, there are a lot of grows on this forum with LED's putting out pink and blurple light and they are getting results. Their results might not be as great as they could be with a full-spectrum sunlike fixture but it is still a fact.

Thanks for your time. UG.

Latest posts

Top Bottom