Led Growers Unite... What Fixture Do You Use?

• Thread starter Desertdweler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bicky studs

bicky studs

Hmmm
Work good?
lovin em, ladies too
veg n flower
IMG 1808
IMG 1816

M

materia05

Hi,
I'm new grower that got interested using 2x2x4 tent & 1200w LED for my first experience, because of tight space & budget is the reason I using this setup.
After searching & reading about LED, I decided to use one of these three LEDs
DC led
Cob led
Cob max
need advice please, thank you.

Dan789

Dan789

No experience with any of those you’ve proposed, unknowns for me are: heatsinks? (Which speaks to longevity of the cob) and spectrums of the particular cobs being used and lastly quality of the drivers and LEDs used.
All of those fixtures will grow bud, but I would get a small kit cob from Rapid led, around $260 or so. Great light, good spectrums and heatsinks, good value that should last many years of growing. Good luck.

DGP

DGP

Hi,
I'm new grower that got interested using 2x2x4 tent & 1200w LED for my first experience, because of tight space & budget is the reason I using this setup.

I would DIY a cob or Quantum board. Super easy to build your own and it will be many times better than blurple imported stuff. Remember if it says 1200 w it is probably a true 300w system or even a lot less. These commercial fixtures are full of flat out specification lies.

Good LED systems are about 35% more efficient than HID and anytime you see a light specified at a certain power (watts) look at the spec that tells you how much it really pulls from the wall.

In the US and N. America I like to use www.cobkits.com, rapidled.com or Timber. There are a number of others as well. The imported ( I hate to say it but Chinese junk) are typically unreliable, over-specified (translation: big F'ing lies) and usually the wrong color (blurple). A DIY cob is a little more costly (depending on the brand) but many times over a better investment. Even the cheapest Citizen brand COBs will outdo these commercial imported lights.BTW, none of those (near as I can tell) are anywhere near 1200W equivalent light power.

Dee

45North

45North

Hi,
Small tent
Remember you must vent
Hanging a light
Will make things tight

4’ -1’ light hang from top=3’
3’ - top of pot7” = 2’5” of bio area
Grow a lowRyder automatic
Use for clone area, or veg for outdoor

For a photoperiod plant I don’t think you could get 28g in that area without some exotic bending and staking.
600 true watts is good for a 4x4x8. My LED for that space is 400 true watts and works great but it is commercial grade. Don’t waste your $ on hype of 100x3w diodes = 300w. It’s more like 30 true watts. True watts are measured from the draw off the wall(plug/socket).
I hope this helps

Skurt

Skurt

I decided to buy a Mars II when my veg hps broke. So far I'm happy, no broken leds but I did brake warrenty asap. I rewired the fans so both ran in both veg and bloom mode, flipped the fans to suck air out of the case and towards my exhaust aswell as cut away the restrictive fan guards.

I only got a 2'x2' but I hope to have room for a 2x3 or 2x4 for flowering. I've been looking at Timber's for cob's but qb's are really cool. Being forced to import all the way from the states for a quality light sucks tho when paying the same for the light as for taxes, shipping and whatnot..

DGP

DGP

Yeah, we are kinda spoiled here having access to lots of choices without having to deal with import duties etc. I know some dealers and suppliers won't even ship if they have to export. Part of the problem is the burden the governments put on what we have to do to ship. I know from having to do this that it is a PIA to fill out all the dang documents. Then try to find a carrier that won't charge you more than the product is worth just to move it to another country. Even a fairly small package can cost a lot more than one would think depending on the country. I know some expats I work with have a shipping forwarder that works with many customers so they can put together a pallet and ship at a bulk rate but then it takes months to get what you want. Almost cheaper depending on where you live to fly there and carry stuff back during a holiday trip if you ever get to a place where you want to buy a product.

I was thinking about this in the other day when I was frustrated with how hard it is to get the seeds and strains I want. Was considering finding the cheapest red eye to Holland to buy seeds once every 2 years or so and mail a bunch back to myself.

Best Wishes,

Dee

Skurt

Skurt

Yeah you can be real thankful for that hehe.
The best cob's I've found, that os easily obtained, are Everlights at 15w 550ma 3000k/3500k and 30v. Any toughts on them? They are about $12 just for each cob.

DGP

DGP

I would say you need more like 50-65W per COB. You need about 40W per square foot. So I guess they would work if you had enough of them. The typical cost of setting up each COB is not just the price of the chip but heat sink, COB holder and driver. If you can find a way to economically heat sink them then it could work out. COBs and LEDs tend to work most efficiently at a current somewhat lower than their max rated spec.

Do you have a friend in the states that could ship you a batch of COBs and parts as a gift? Does that get around some of the issues like the taxes/duties?

Dee

45North

45North

Yeah, we are kinda spoiled here having access to lots of choices without having to deal with import duties etc. I know some dealers and suppliers won't even ship if they have to export. Part of the problem is the burden the governments put on what we have to do to ship. I know from having to do this that it is a PIA to fill out all the dang documents. Then try to find a carrier that won't charge you more than the product is worth just to move it to another country. Even a fairly small package can cost a lot more than one would think depending on the country. I know some expats I work with have a shipping forwarder that works with many customers so they can put together a pallet and ship at a bulk rate but then it takes months to get what you want. Almost cheaper depending on where you live to fly there and carry stuff back during a holiday trip if you ever get to a place where you want to buy a product.

I was thinking about this in the other day when I was frustrated with how hard it is to get the seeds and strains I want. Was considering finding the cheapest red eye to Holland to buy seeds once every 2 years or so and mail a bunch back to myself.

Best Wishes,

Dee
That’s funny I order a lot of seeds out of the UK and Spain

Skurt

Skurt

No I dont know anyone over there.
Yeah I was thinking 12-13 15w if I'd do that. Mixing some 3k, 3.5k and 4k.

45North

45North

I'm using a Platinum P600 (lensed 12 band) and I will be supplementing with 10 CXB3590s over a 4x8 drain tray in a 6x9 room
The p600 was one that I was shopping until the Ss550 fell in my lap. How do you rate it?

Top Bottom