Led Mag defic dont ya love it?

• Thread starter Loopusmagpie2u
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
watch the plants.

if you have a little time, do some experimenting.

start wherever, then watch the plants. its a feedback loop.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

No meter reader here. I like to push the plant as hard as I can, they will tell you if it’s too much.
Absolutely but why start over guessing how hard to push the same strain each grow. By taking notes of a strain you can maximize the light intensity over a couple grows and know exactly when to increase to what.

I say this because dialing in a grow is not going by a set of ideal parameters given. Everything from genetics, wind, watering, media, nutrients, temps, humidity, co2, pruning etc. can and will effect how much light the plants can handle. So keeping a record allows you to see if a slight change has improved the amount of light they can absorb and thus hkw much energy they can produce for growth.

I mean there is nothing wrong with simply going by the plants. But if you want to truely dial in a grow to maximize the potential of a plant then you need a way to measure and record the variables that affect growth so you know 3+ grows down the line what you have done and how it affected the growth of a specific strain and pheno.

A lot of ppl are happy with some good bud to smoke and less hassle of keeping records and taking all these unnecessary measurements to do so and nothing wrong with that.

I'm only stating a way that home growers who desire to truly optimize a grow and further thier knowledge and understanding by seeing how measured parameters can really help thier end results at the cost of bit more time and equipment. Which I feel is beneficial because cannabis is not a one size fits all plants and needs, tolerances and results can change drastically between strains and phenos.

Is it worth all the extra work? That depends on the grower

Chem77

Chem77

Absolutely but why start over guessing how hard to push the same strain each grow. By taking notes of a strain you can maximize the light intensity over a couple grows and know exactly when to increase to what.

I say this because dialing in a grow is not going by a set of ideal parameters given. Everything from genetics, wind, watering, media, nutrients, temps, humidity, co2, pruning etc. can and will effect how much light the plants can handle. So keeping a record allows you to see if a slight change has improved the amount of light they can absorb and thus hkw much energy they can produce for growth.

I mean there is nothing wrong with simply going by the plants. But if you want to truely dial in a grow to maximize the potential of a plant then you need a way to measure and record the variables that affect growth so you know 3+ grows down the line what you have done and how it affected the growth of a specific strain and pheno.

A lot of ppl are happy with some good bud to smoke and less hassle of keeping records and taking all these unnecessary measurements to do so and nothing wrong with that.

I'm only stating a way that home growers who desire to truly optimize a grow and further thier knowledge and understanding by seeing how measured parameters can really help thier end results at the cost of bit more time and equipment. Which I feel is beneficial because cannabis is not a one size fits all plants and needs, tolerances and results can change drastically between strains and phenos.

Is it worth all the extra work? That depends on the grower
I try to keep it stupid simple. My preferred method is to grow 9 plants in 5-7 gallon fabric pots under 2 GC 680’s. I grow 8 of my wanted/desired strain and 1 odd ball. The odd ball goes in between the two lights, gives a little leeway/tolerance for it. Basically it’s all about the 8.
I agree, you get what you put into it!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I try to keep it stupid simple. My preferred method is to grow 9 plants in 5-7 gallon fabric pots under 2 GC 680’s. I grow 8 of my wanted/desired strain and 1 odd ball. The odd ball goes in between the two lights, gives a little leeway/tolerance for it. Basically it’s all about the 8.
I agree, you get what you put into it!
K.I.S.S. I am 100% behind you on this especially for new growers.

In terms of getting out what ya put in it depends I find with cannabis often ppl overdue the trying to be perfect and it results in more harm than good.

More tinkering the more unstable the more issues. So K.I S.S. is a well proven, time tested method.

But if we can grasp the concept (be surprised how much of a challenge it can be) to make 1 small change at a time and document as you go.... you can definitely make some improvements and reap the benefits.

Try to do it all at once and you have sad plants and putting in even more work with worse results than if ya just K.I.S.S.

So by all means I agree with your method.

For those looking to test limits and try to further thier personal knowledge on how changes can improve (and harm) your grow. I'm a person who likes to complicate things to the fullest and learn as much as possible.

I'm sure there are a few others cursed with the "I have to know and understand how everything works" syndrome out there... ok well I hope I'm not the only one 🤔 someone tell me I'm not the only one 🤨... ah well even if I am the only one.... I love learning about this plant... its almost consuming.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Only EC exists. PPM can't be measured by the kit we are sold. You can pick up two of the best PPM meters, both properly calibrated, and get readings 40% apart. Then boil off the solution and weigh the dry matter, to find both were wrong anyway.

The problem is, that PPM isn't being measured by the PPM meter. No. The PPM meter is measuring EC and then using a conversion factor to guess PPM. Much like using a Lux meter and correcting it for PAR.
As in my previous post, the Lux to PAR conversion is different for different meters. With the EC to PPM conversion, it's different for every salt. Opening up the issue further, you can use a PPM meter to make up a solution in two reservoirs, with a different feed in each. set both for 1000ppm, and there is no real hope of both being 1000ppm in reality.
PPM's exist when you weigh the stuff in yourself. Then you measure the EC, and monitor it. That is the truth. Converting to PPM is just kidding ourselves. It serves no purpose. It just introduces errors that are accepted as 40% between meters. So when you read someone chatting away in PPM, it's quite useless information in regards of neutrient strength. Just as with people measuring lights with smart phones.

To give ourselves a chance of sharing numbers, I used this meter beside a known meter. I can only tell you this meter says 20,000 at 600 and that's not transferable to any other meter
iu

It's a good job I posted that image.. I imagined a button. It has just 3 not 4.

I plotted it out (did I say?) and it was linear to about 800ppfd, where I ran out of light to test further (I was being lazy. I could of moved it, but had what I needed)

When people talk Lux or PPM without sharing their equipment, it's not usable information. The internet has years of records regarding peoples grows, that are near useless because they used unknown measurements. Spoons. Eggs. Gallons. PPM's. Lux. Frankfurters. It has to stop. People have their boots on their own necks, holding themselves down.

I'm ranting again aren't I. Totally gone off on one. Left the building, made it to the airport and boarded for lala land. Sorry :)
Seriously IMO this is good info - I’ll say again I only use my meters for comparison and fluctuations - the ppm analogy is great.

even if people don’t appreciate your minor rant
I read it! Lmao

growsince79

growsince79

Only EC exists. PPM can't be measured by the kit we are sold. You can pick up two of the best PPM meters, both properly calibrated, and get readings 40% apart. Then boil off the solution and weigh the dry matter, to find both were wrong anyway.

The problem is, that PPM isn't being measured by the PPM meter. No. The PPM meter is measuring EC and then using a conversion factor to guess PPM. Much like using a Lux meter and correcting it for PAR.
As in my previous post, the Lux to PAR conversion is different for different meters. With the EC to PPM conversion, it's different for every salt. Opening up the issue further, you can use a PPM meter to make up a solution in two reservoirs, with a different feed in each. set both for 1000ppm, and there is no real hope of both being 1000ppm in reality.
PPM's exist when you weigh the stuff in yourself. Then you measure the EC, and monitor it. That is the truth. Converting to PPM is just kidding ourselves. It serves no purpose. It just introduces errors that are accepted as 40% between meters. So when you read someone chatting away in PPM, it's quite useless information in regards of neutrient strength. Just as with people measuring lights with smart phones.

To give ourselves a chance of sharing numbers, I used this meter beside a known meter. I can only tell you this meter says 20,000 at 600 and that's not transferable to any other meter
iu

It's a good job I posted that image.. I imagined a button. It has just 3 not 4.

I plotted it out (did I say?) and it was linear to about 800ppfd, where I ran out of light to test further (I was being lazy. I could of moved it, but had what I needed)

When people talk Lux or PPM without sharing their equipment, it's not usable information. The internet has years of records regarding peoples grows, that are near useless because they used unknown measurements. Spoons. Eggs. Gallons. PPM's. Lux. Frankfurters. It has to stop. People have their boots on their own necks, holding themselves down.

I'm ranting again aren't I. Totally gone off on one. Left the building, made it to the airport and boarded for lala land. Sorry :)
Great info. I watch migro yesterday. I never realized how inaccurate the lux meters are. That explains why I have problems going over 40000lux, even though all the fake news weed growing sites recommend 60-80k. Add to that the fact that most LED companies lie about the ppfd, and it all makes sense.

Top Bottom