LED RAGE!!

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
If you really want to make some heads explode, mix LED and CMH together and hang them on a Lightrail mover 🙃

I've had all kinds of folk tell me my lights cannot grow weed. Some have used charts and graphs, one guy even drew a picture!
Got worn out from all the debate long ago and quit caring about much of it. As long as people are happy with what they use or buy it's all groovy.
I think a lot of debate come from ego and insecurity...fear of wasting money and looking like a fool but the arguments and pissing matches often make people look way more foolish than any light they buy ever could

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

If you really want to make some heads explode, mix LED and CMH together and hang them on a Lightrail mover 🙃
View attachment 953842

I've had all kinds of folk tell me my lights cannot grow weed. Some have used charts and graphs, one guy even drew a picture!
Got worn out from all the debate long ago and quit caring about much of it. As long as people are happy with what they use or buy it's all groovy.
I think a lot of debate come from ego and insecurity...fear of wasting money and looking like a fool but the arguments and pissing matches often make people look way more foolish than any light they buy ever could
I get it. I'm not bothering to care about opinions or argue bout my lights, I'm just gonna see if they work for my needs, beyond point of trying to listen to anyone, too many different opinions & improved lights to do anything but see it myself

Anthem

Anthem

View attachment 953842

You are about 100 percent correct.

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

View attachment 953842

My dude, I got to know....is that a Sleestack face on the right wall. AWESOME!🤩

Anthem

Anthem

it is when the prices are pretty similar.
Ok so lets take this thru a year of use bunkerking. I am going to compare a growers choice ROI-680 to a gavita 1000e DE fixture. The worst of the LED's I would consider using, meaning the least efficient.
So right off the bat we have 320 watts less use per hour for the light. Lets call it 13 hours a day to allow for the 18/6 of veg. So that adds up to 125 Kilowatt a month. For me that is around $ 17.47 a month. But that is not the real killer for me, it is the cooling cost of the light. 1000 Watt HPS with ballast is around 11,000 btu's. Cooling that off takes 12,000 btu AC, that runs at 10 amps but we have the led offset of say 3000 btu's. So we are only using an additional 8000 btu's for cooling. 12,000 btu pulls 10 amps per the spec on home depot. But we are only using 2/3 of that. so 6.7 amps equals .603 kilowatt an hour. times 13 hours x 30 days = 32.92 a month. Together we have 50.39 x 1 year = 604.68.
I can get the Gavita 1000 e DE for $ 360 a unit ROI-680 $ 925 a unit. Difference of $ 565.00, but we saved 604 the first year. So within a year with just one light the cost of use is lower for the LED. But oh wait we have to plug in a new bulb for the 1000 De in there every 6 months so that cost is say $ 150.00. Wait we are actually ahead by $ 189.00 the first year. That is for 1 light, it just keeps adding up from there.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
4-1000w de, 1- 4 ton a/c, 2- dehumidifiers, 1- 650w LED by Sync,
1-6 bulb T-5- 1/2 LED inserts 1/2-T-5s
1- 12,000btu portable a/c
3 wall fans, 1 mars 600w led

$700 a month in electricity cost

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Ok so lets take this thru a year of use bunkerking. I am going to compare a growers choice ROI-680 to a gavita 1000e DE fixture. The worst of the LED's I would consider using, meaning the least efficient.
So right off the bat we have 320 watts less use per hour for the light. Lets call it 13 hours a day to allow for the 18/6 of veg. So that adds up to 125 Kilowatt a month. For me that is around $ 17.47 a month. But that is not the real killer for me, it is the cooling cost of the light. 1000 Watt HPS with ballast is around 11,000 btu's. Cooling that off takes 12,000 btu AC, that runs at 10 amps but we have the led offset of say 3000 btu's. So we are only using an additional 8000 btu's for cooling. 12,000 btu pulls 10 amps per the spec on home depot. But we are only using 2/3 of that. so 6.7 amps equals .603 kilowatt an hour. times 13 hours x 30 days = 32.92 a month. Together we have 50.39 x 1 year = 604.68.
I can get the Gavita 1000 e DE for $ 360 a unit ROI-680 $ 925 a unit. Difference of $ 565.00, but we saved 604 the first year. So within a year with just one light the cost of use is lower for the LED. But oh wait we have to plug in a new bulb for the 1000 De in there every 6 months so that cost is say $ 150.00. Wait we are actually ahead by $ 189.00 the first year. That is for 1 light, it just keeps adding up from there.

That math may work for your situation but it doesnt apply to mine. I need a/c only in mid summer and use my hid’s exhaust to heat my living room supplementally in winter. And my electric must be cheaper.

So many variables it is not a black and white argument.

Anthem

Anthem

4-1000w de, 1- 4 ton a/c, 2- dehumidifiers, 1- 650w LED by Sync,
1-6 bulb T-5- 1/2 LED inserts 1/2-T-5s
1- 12,000btu portable a/c
3 wall fans, 1 mars 600w led

$700 a month in electricity cost
2 gavita 1650
2 growers choice ROI680
1 12000 BTU AC
1 dehumifier
10 mini fans
5 large fans
2 growers choice PFS series
2- t5 4 tube fixtures w/ 44 watt leds
400 a month

Anthem

Anthem

That math may work for your situation but it doesnt apply to mine. I need a/c only in mid summer and use my hid’s exhaust to heat my living room supplementally in winter. And my electric must be cheaper.

Agreed MiMedGrower. But you have to admit you have a unique set up that works awesome!

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Very well explained. Something that also has helped with switching to good quality led is my flower time has shortened by 5-7 days. This was with clones I have kept that I also ran under HPS for a true comparison.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

10 years ago my bills were $700 month for hps system. Cant do that now even if breakers could handle it here

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Very well explained. Something that also has helped with switching to good quality led is my flower time has shortened by 5-7 days. This was with clones I have kept that I also ran under HPS for a true comparison.

This is true with cmh as well. It must be the fuller spectrum or so much blue in the spectrum.

I just realized i never compared with hortilux blue mh but would expect the same.

Anthem

Anthem

The point being made is to look at the overall co
Unique how? I followed the instructions in a grow book.
Unique because first off you use the heat from your HPS lights to heat your house. Lung room is in the grow books but how many people do that?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Co2 consumption has shortened my flowering by about the same amount of time.
Although, this is my first run in my new flower room.
Hopefully it will be consistent.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
It is really sad about 75 percent of the guys jumping on this forum have purchased poor quality LED's and their grow suffers. It is a totally challenge because the poor quality manufacturers are the one spending money on marketing their products. But like mentioned in another thread, you really cannot change their mind until they run their lights a few runs and keep getting low yield or nutrient burn.
New growers tend to ask for help growing, but are suckers for marketing, just like I was decades ago drooling over some of the silly-ass High Times advertisements. It takes a while to make the connection between results in reality and those that can run contrary to ego. Despite being told that a TON of light is needed, I was determined to show everyone that I was the guy that could grow trees by using regular fluorescent bulbs (not T5 or high efficiency). Eventually I figured it out that everyone was right, I was wrong, and my 1st HID blew my socks off. The marketing and promises made by today's LED manufacturers are the driving force among new grower's choices. If it says they are the best, and have impressive pictures, then the purchase is made. After a few grows the reality sinks in that the 1000 watt deluxe LED light is actually a 300 watt red or blue LED panel. We, as experienced growers, try to explain what or when to use stuff based on our experience... but how many of us listen to other's advice if it is different that your beliefs? Eventually they will learn and upgrade. Afterwards they will give their advice, which will be ignored by the next gen of growers. Rinse. Repeat.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Lol triggered much?

I'm responding to another person's question.

Wanna hug it out? Don't care how much money you spent.

Last edited:
bunkerking

bunkerking

I don't need any ac as well and hydro electric power baby. Helping the grid by using power at night. It's gotta go somewhere.

Top Bottom