Led To Hps

• Thread starter 40Below
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
40Below

40Below

I am using a 1K LED. I do t like the growth of the buds. Do you think swapping light or
To my HPS will shock the plants too much? I have read up a little bit found nothing where someone made the swap. Thanks.

chemistry

chemistry

Light is light, it is either good for the plant or bad, HPS is tried and tested as good, so I cant see you having any problems, your HPS might be hotter than your LED, so just remember distance from your plants.

BioStimz

BioStimz

I am using a 1K LED. I do t like the growth of the buds. Do you think swapping light to HPS will shock the plants too much?

Just curious as to why you want to switch at the end of a grow?

Reactions: Ina
dan1989

dan1989

I am using a 1K LED. I do t like the growth of the buds. Do you think swapping light or
To my HPS will shock the plants too much? I have read up a little bit found nothing where someone made the swap. Thanks.

Just curious as to why you want to switch at the end of a grow?
He doesn't like the growth of the buds

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I'm old school. HPS all the way. There's so much hype with LEDs, and more advertisers. Let me see people pull 2 lbs per 4 ft Botanicare tables. If it's happening, they'd probably be using 1000 watts worth of LEDs (but I still never seen it). Idk where any of you live, but they switched all the street lights by me from HPS, to LED. The HPS light travels MUCH further! There are gaps from LED light to the next, but when in an area that still has HPS there is no gap. That pretty much shows me the LEDs aren't penetrating nearly as much. Also heat can be a double edged sword! LEDs don't produce much heat, and that is very marketable, but when it's cold out you're most likley going to need a space heater, and for a large space it's going to cost as much, or more to heat say a warehouse.
I'm sure people will argue my points, and I also admit I won't buy an LED until someone can be non bias, and show the final yield, and quality.
1500 watts to run each space heater, while 4 ton mini splits will do the job on a 12 light room.
If airflow, and ducting is done right, it's not too difficult to vacate the heat.
If your growing in a closet for personal use, I guess they'd be okay???

40Below

40Below

I'm old school. HPS all the way. There's so much hype with LEDs, and more advertisers. Let me see people pull 2 lbs per 4 ft Botanicare tables. If it's happening, they'd probably be using 1000 watts worth of LEDs (but I still never seen it). Idk where any of you live, but they switched all the street lights by me from HPS, to LED. The HPS light travels MUCH further! There are gaps from LED light to the next, but when in an area that still has HPS there is no gap. That pretty much shows me the LEDs aren't penetrating nearly as much. Also heat can be a double edged sword! LEDs don't produce much heat, and that is very marketable, but when it's cold out you're most likley going to need a space heater, and for a large space it's going to cost as much, or more to heat say a warehouse.
I'm sure people will argue my points, and I also admit I won't buy an LED until someone can be non bias, and show the final yield, and quality.
1500 watts to run each space heater, while 4 ton mini splits will do the job on a 12 light room.
If airflow, and ducting is done right, it's not too difficult to vacate the heat.

40Below

40Below

I am about 10 days from harvest. The buds under the HPS are much denser and a little fatter. The ones under the LED are nice but I bet a 1/3 smaller. And I don't get the coverage that the HPS puts out. I'm in a sealed grow room so the getting rid of the heat has been a challenge. But I'm running 10k AC and that barley keeps up. So the LED in that respect is nice. I think I will use LED to veg then swap to HPS for flower. I'm still kind of new to growing so mostly I just learn through here and by trial and error. But I'm am finishing a pretty good run with about 2/3 les trouble than my last so something is working. Thanks for the input.

sixstring

sixstring

I am about 10 days from harvest. The buds under the HPS are much denser and a little fatter. The ones under the LED are nice but I bet a 1/3 smaller. And I don't get the coverage that the HPS puts out. I'm in a sealed grow room so the getting rid of the heat has been a challenge. But I'm running 10k AC and that barley keeps up. So the LED in that respect is nice. I think I will use LED to veg then swap to HPS for flower. I'm still kind of new to growing so mostly I just learn through here and by trial and error. But I'm am finishing a pretty good run with about 2/3 les trouble than my last so something is working. Thanks for the input.
what kind of led,just curious? switching wont hurt a thing.

Reactions: Ina
sixstring

sixstring

most of what you said in not correct.1000w of led is the same heat as 1000w of hps or even 1000w of space heater lol.the thing is,1000w of good quality led at say 50% efficient will be much higher par numbers than 1000w of hps so brighter light.your street light theory is flawed.maybe they took down 30 x 1000w hps and replaced them with 30 x 100w leds,we really dont know.im sure the hood design is much different on the new led street lights.lots of reasons why it looks different now.ill put my led grows up against any hid setup,watt for watt i do pretty good.went from almost 13kw of hps to under 8kw leds now and yeilds are up so theres that to :cool:

sixstring

sixstring

I am using.
PlatinumLED Grow Lights
Advanced Platinum Series P900 900w 12-band LED Grow Light - DUAL VEG/FLOWER FULL SPECTRUM.
I thought it was 1k. Still 900w.
prob not pulling more than 400w from the wall so yeah,not gunna keep up with a 1000w hps.its also prob only 3 to 5% more efficient than a hps so lots of heat for not much light.good spectrum though lol.it will make a nice veg light like you plan though

40Below

40Below

most of what you said in not correct.1000w of led is the same heat as 1000w of hps or even 1000w of space heater lol.the thing is,1000w of good quality led at say 50% efficient will be much higher par numbers than 1000w of hps so brighter light.your street light theory is flawed.maybe they took down 30 x 1000w hps and replaced them with 30 x 100w leds,we really dont know.im sure the hood design is much different on the new led street lights.lots of reasons why it looks different now.ill put my led grows up against any hid setup,watt for watt i do pretty good.went from almost 13kw of hps to under 8kw leds now and yeilds are up so theres that to :cool:
I would love to use all LED's. But you say the heat is the same?
I Have searched for quality LED at a friendly price but my knowledge of them (lack of) keeps me from making the jump. I bought the advanced as an experiment. It works okay. But has not performed as well as I had hoped. I can't fathom paying what they want for the Kind or Mad Dog LED's. Not when you need 5or6 of them. Have you used or use something comparable?

sixstring

sixstring

I Have searched for quality LED at a friendly price but my knowledge of them (lack of) keeps me from making the jump. I bought the advanced as an experiment. It works okay. But has not performed as well as I had hoped. I can't fathom paying what they want for the Kind or Mad Dog LED's. Not when you need 5or6 of them. Have you used or use something comparable?

these would both do awesome compared to a 1000w and only use 600w
http://timbergrowlights.com/redwood-vs-4x4/

http://www.pacificlightconcepts.com/product-category/lights/
i use a similar design but made my own lights for less money. but both those setups are priced fairly and will grow the dank

brazel

brazel

The bottom line the solid truth. You won't get quality at a friendly price, it does not exist! Kind and mad dog ha rock your advance ain't like any of them are where it's at. Yes, I've used lots, hell I got a closet full of junk collecting dust! Read and learn if you went real knowledge, lots of good advice here and lots of haha really but you wouldn't which is which if you don't have the knowledge. Power supply, diode or COB manufacture the bin, actual watts used, efficiency, the fans. There's very few manufacturers of LED lights that I would trust any knowledge from. These companies are a dime dozen, and a majority of the people running don't have knowledge either they pretty much use the knowledge they heard or read on forums cannabis related

brazel

brazel

Imo I'd use full spectrum 4000k the whole grow, and I'd stay away from the disco lights! Plants use green light! do they use more red in flower, sure. So then led companies load up 680um 620um farpar or whatever spectrum, nah we need more farpar! More more More cowbell! rad man now you're back to telling the plant what it needs which doesn't surprise me because that's exactly what bottled nutrients do you tell the plant what it needs. I'm pretty sure the plant can figure out what it needs. Then you here the sun changes colors yeah okay sure it does, going to be purple next month. Or maybe it's the light getting scattered by stuff in the sky and different colors scatter more or less, yeah thats it! And then you hear the earth rotation is why it changes nope stays the same, it tilts on the poles to North Pole South Pole.
When you have a full spectrum like the sun the plant knows what it needs so it takes what needs, it needs red it grabs red, it needs Lucky Charms it grabs Lucky Charms. Same concept as amended soil everything's in it, so it grabs what it needs.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Beautiful plan!
Even if ya gotta go to LEDs in the summer, not a giant

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

What kind of led do you have OP... ?

Any decent 1000w will produce

Nothing on amazon really will, but a real light like a timber or pacific will.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

What kind of led do you have OP... ?

Any decent 1000w will produce

Nothing on amazon really will, but a real light like a timber or pacific will.
Gotta disagree with you there. I've used $22 Ultrasuns, and pulled well over 2. It's genetics, training,and even canopy.

Top Bottom