led users.

• Thread starter mickmick
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mickmick

k so right now i am using florescent lights for veg and hps lights for flowering.... my question to the led useres is do you think leds are better for quicker growth and better bud producing? or is it not as good as using hps lights or florescent lights? would using led dusring veg and hps during flowering be good? or would using leds the whole time be best? what color leds are best for veg and flowering?

O

oldtimer60

Until they prove to me with pictures that leds are better than 1000 watt, and good research, im sticking with my hps 1000s

R

Rolln J

leds are only good for veg - and prolly not much better then 10 buck fourescent fixtures!

R

Rolln J

your right I have never used them - so they are prolly really awesome and you should run right out and plunk down 300 bucks for 90 watts of led bliss!

M

mickmick

im going to use leds for my new batch im starting to germ. i have a led light with blue and white leds. my friend is letting me use it so if they dont do so well then i wount be so upset cause i didnt pay for it..... but as soon as the seed are done germ. and the growing starts i will keep u guys updated with a forum on it....

M

mickmick

http://here is my led grow if anyon...s/f54/first-super-silver-haze-led-grow-17004/here is my led grow if anyone wants to check it out...

B

billybadazz

I was once hot on the LED trail too, because in reality it sounds like a win win with the no (less) heat and the low(er) energy bill. like anything new I don't want to own the first generations of anything especially when any electronic that is a reletively new is going to be a better one thats cheaper than the original anyway......but here's my thought companies are quick to get these products out there and why not because research and development costs millions and years but why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone get your product out there make that $$ and let the public do R&D for free. Bottom line you show me some killer bud pics grown under a led that costs $2000 and I'll show you the bud I got off the 5 HPS's i could buy with the same amount and then we can talk weight and numbers.......very easy choice and as for the extra $$ i would spend on the electric bill I'll take it just to not be another guinea pig to a company that when it all comes down to it really doesn't give a shit about me just my $$. Not being a prick just stating my .02 HID's are proven technology LED's are the new kids and like any new kid I need overwhelming proof you belong (LED that is) peace and happy growing hope I didn't make anybody butt hurt

L

LBZ Farmer

I am developing my own LED lights. I have spent a small fortune as well as many many hours of research. I am doing this for myself and a freind. We have hit all the main color spectrums on the head... We also through a few other colors in there. I know exactly why most LED lights are falling short and that is due to cost of the LED plus when you get the high watt led the power supply must also be bigger which means more money. LEt me tell you the heat my LED light generates is very high. Don't be fooled if the led does not make heat it is not making light... 1 watt of power is 1 watt of power any way you slice it and that produces a certain amount of heat. Generally lights all disipate the heat differently. The led chip gets hot and does not radiate toward the plants which allows the lights to be much closer.
I will be doing a side by side grow very soon... I am trying to master growing one strain first without any problems that way I can do a fair comparison.
I am using the standard lights right now learning if you will. MH, Compact flourescent, and HPS.

M

mickmick

i have done the same except make the led light.... i started a grow using flourescent lights and a hps light. right now i am using leds lights with white and blue in it.... guess ill see how the plants do under this light....

L

LBZ Farmer

First thing I did was break down how much light we will just say lumens... even though that isn't what the plant actually sees. So how many lumens are required for each square foot of each color spectrum. Not just red or blue but several reds and blues and every color in between based on what a plant uswes during photosynthesis... then I had to figure out how to wire everything... so I wouldn't waste energy through resistors instead I just use more leds to make the cicuite work. Basically if you have 13.8 volts available you want to drop all that across leds not resistors they just produce heat. I am using very high power leds not the stuff you see for sale all packaged pretty... my light is all business. And heavy... the heat sinks really add up.... ha ha I could have the power supply outside but packaged it inside the light...

L

LBZ Farmer

I will at a later date and I will have my own thread with a side by side grow... I don't want to give away all the secrets of my lights though... there is a lot involved and who knows when they work I may sell a few to help pay for my lights.

M

mickmick

im interested in checkin that out when you get it up and started.

B

BillPlimpton

Here are a few pics of a grow at Growkind, using 2-600hps and 2-600LED side by side, same strain, same everything except lighting

IMO, the hps is growing bigger fuller buds and a more complete plant
the LED is short, tight and dens tigher internodes

http://http://i281.invalid.com/albums/kk212/calibuddz/DSC04808.jpg

http://http://i281.invalid.com/albums/kk212/calibuddz/DSC04801.jpg

http://http://i281.invalid.com/albums/kk212/calibuddz/DSC04805.jpg

P

Pandaman

It doesn't help the LED industry when advertisers start lying to customers about the capabilities of these lights. I've seen people state that THEIR LED's are the newest, best, greatest yada yada... They say that THEIR LED's replace HID's 3:1... 4:1... I've even seen a claim for 6:1! Even saw an ad that claimed that their 90watt UFO replaces a 600watt HPS!

Check out this excerpt from an ad that I found on eBay
-------------------------------
"...Using a 20A breaker oppose to a 15A with decrease your lights output dramatically. The more current that you have going to your LED the less light output you will receive..."
-------------------------------

Seriously people (Everyone)... It's called Ohm's Law. If you don't want to get ripped off by Crack-Smoking Advertisers, learn it.

P.S. BillPlimpton, I fixed your links. Nice :)

BillPlimpton Link #1

BillPlimpton Link #2

BillPlimpton Link #3

I'm currently looking for LED's to power my Multi-Cabinet Grow. My goal is have a small area with the best lighting option that doesn't require a lot of ventilation. Between finding Store Owners with outrageous claims and a HUGE roller coaster of prices for the exact same product, not to mention Dual-Band, Tri-Band, Quad-Band and others, it is a complete turn off to research this. The LED industry will crumble under the weight of their own lies, and it will be their own fault.

Only a handful of comparisons are actually available. Most are corrupted by the growers inability to properly "Test" these lights against others, and the ones that do, fail to SHOW THE PROOF. Rant Completed.

Please, if someone out there knows of an LED light that works at least satisfactory and won't break the bank, please let me know.

Peace

Top Bottom