LED vs HID vs Other Lights: What’s your preference?

• Thread starter SacredTreeOrganicFarms
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SacredTreeOrganicFarms

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

Sacred Tree Organic Farms
Supporter
I want to start a light thread for people to share their experiences with all lights. Background info on everything should be stated (watts, ppfd, ppf, distance from canopy during growth/flower, sqft covered canopy, etc.) I ask and encourage everyone to invite anyone they want to get this forum booming! I know growers more than just me want to see people reviews of all different lights! @Aqua Man @Chad.Westport @MIMedGrower

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

Supporter
@Flexnerb @amekins @Anthem @sshz @Dr.Green55
@Milson
@growsince79 @StaceyDD @aaxiii @Green Dot @coloradoBTC @coloradogrower303 @Grow Hound @Grow4fun @Organicanna @OrganicElite @Organickeith @Organic_budgrowing #Light #Lighting #LED #HPS #CMH #HID #GROWINDOORS

Last edited:
Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

I honestly think the best resource for this question is - https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/grow-light-calculator/

It covers many of the lights we all use and provides real world, non bias testing of manufacturer specs. This eliminates the variables between one grower vs the next as far as environmental controls, nutrient management, and pest pressures.

I use the Spider farmer 1000s and have a HPS as well, but currently LED only. They are great lights but in cold months, your room may need to be heated. HPS lets off a lot more heat than LED. For that purpose, the HPS is ideal, but LED technology has caught up to and passed light quality and you can do it for a reasonable price now. In the summer months, you'll be glad you have the LED.

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

Supporter
I honestly think the best resource for this question is - https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/grow-light-calculator/

It covers many of the lights we all use and provides real world, non bias testing of manufacturer specs. This eliminates the variables between one grower vs the next as far as environmental controls, nutrient management, and pest pressures.

I use the Spider farmer 1000s and have a HPS as well, but currently LED only. They are great lights but in cold months, your room may need to be heated. HPS lets off a lot more heat than LED. For that purpose, the HPS is ideal, but LED technology has caught up to and passed light quality and you can do it for a reasonable price now. In the summer months, you'll be glad you have the LED.
This is great info! Let’s get this forum going big! Ik a lot of growers have lighting questions! What canopy do you cover with a 1000 w led?

sshz

sshz

If you read my thread, you’d know I was a long term 30+ year hps grower and was getting solid results averaging slightly over 2 lbs per light in a 2 light grow. I switched to led’s, mainly to reduce to room heat in the summer.

With my first led grow, I got 3 lbs, 5 oz per Gavita led in a 2 light grow. It took me most of the grow to break out of the hps mindset, as I commented often how much I missed them. Towards the end of the grow, my feelings finally changed and now I love the led’s, mainly because they yielded better, come on instantly, use 645 watts vs. 1000 watts with the hps and the plants stay way shorter.

But room temps need to be warmer running the led’s, so I’m actually running hotter than I was with the hps- go figure. Lol

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I want to start a light thread for people to share their experiences with all lights. Background info on everything should be stated (watts, ppfd, ppf, distance from canopy during growth/flower, sqft covered canopy, etc.) I ask and encourage everyone to invite anyone they want to get this forum booming! I know growers more than just me want to see people reviews of all different lights! @Aqua Man @Chad.Westport @MIMedGrower
I'm gonna have to say I'm already running to the exit.... been in enough light threads to know I want to avoid the self induced stress that comes with them. 😁

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

Supporter
If you read my thread, you’d know I was a long term 30+ year hps grower and was getting solid results averaging slightly over 2 lbs per light in a 2 light grow. I switched to led’s, mainly to reduce to room heat in the summer.

With my first led grow, I got 3 lbs, 5 oz per Gavita led in a 2 light grow. It took me most of the grow to break out of the hps mindset, as I commented often how much I missed them. Towards the end of the grow, my feelings finally changed and now I love the led’s, mainly because they yielded better, come on instantly, use 645 watts vs. 1000 with the hps and the plants stay way shorter.

But room temps need to be warmer running the led’s, so I’m actually running hotter than I was with the hps- go figure. Lol
So what is your standard for lighting? Distance from canopy! Sqft of canopy etc?

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

Supporter
I'm gonna have to say I'm already running to the exit.... been in enough light threads to know I want to avoid the self induced stress that comes with them. 😁
I just wanted to start a new thread for people with questions so it didn’t cloud up anyone else’s forum!

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

With my first led grow, I got 3 lbs, 5 oz per Gavita led in a 2 light grow. It took me most of the grow to break out of the hps mindset, as I commented often how much I missed them. Towards the end of the grow, my feelings finally changed and now I love the led’s, mainly because they yielded better, come on instantly, use 645 watts vs. 1000 with the hps and the plants stay way shorter.

Not quite 30 years, close, but my path followed the same as yours. Lifelong HPS, resisted, tried some blurples but wasn't sold, never used for flower. Kept my ears open and white light QBs showed lots of promise and increased specs. Tried it again and now I'm sold. HPS is in a box. Sucks to because I bought a new ballast two runs before switching it up. Oh well. One day I'm sure I find a purpose for it.

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

Supporter

I read your thread extensively! I just wanted to start a thread that didn’t cloud up and take away from you and anyone else.

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

Supporter
Not quite 30 years, close, but my path followed the same as yours. Lifelong HPS, resisted, tried some blurples but wasn't sold, never used for flower. Kept my ears open and white light QBs showed lots of promise and increased specs. Tried it again and now I'm sold. HPS is in a box. Sucks to because I bought a new ballast two runs before switching it up. Oh well. One day I'm sure I find a purpose for it.
What’s the white qb’s?

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

This is great info! Let’s get this forum going big! Ik a lot of growers have lighting questions! What canopy do you cover with a 1000 w led?
The SF 1000 actually draws 100w from the wall. That is very common for this industry, product title doesn't always mean wattage. It kills it in a 2x2 tent and can be used to veg a 3x3 space. If you want to flower in a 3x3, I recommend using two maybe three of them. Or you can buy the SF2000 model.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have been flowering under 2 600 watt usually Hortilux Super HPS single ended bulbs for almost 7 years. My height marker is set at 18” under the glass of the Blockbuster 6” air cooled reflectors. They are deep style with 95% german hammered aluminum reflective material. They are designed to put the most par directly down with 1000watts in a 4’x4’ area. i use 2 600w in a 3.5’x7’ area for best coverage. The lamps are mounted high and i use stands to adjust the plants height as i have different age plants flowering together.

B929F295 CF1C 445D 8E06 59F1DDD33DFC
C6F8CDFC E524 4379 BB0F 2BA32026CC4F
7DB90B07 69A9 4EC9 87E8 562007326238

without camera flash for true color
C6A4F527 1770 4B58 839F 1852E946C78C

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

SacredTreeOrganicFarms

Supporter
The SF 1000 actually draws 100w from the wall. That is very common for this industry, product title doesn't always mean wattage. It kills it in a 2x2 tent and can be used to veg a 3x3 space. If you want to flower in a 3x3, I recommend using two maybe three of them. Or you can buy the SF2000 model.
So it’s doesn’t measure watts output? Does a 600w light even matter if the umol/m2 is low? Or if ppfd is shit?

sshz

sshz

So what is your standard for lighting? Distance from canopy! Sqft of canopy etc?

Each light is squeezed into a 4 x 4 ft area.......lights start off 36-48 inches above the canopy and are moved down to 18 inches in flowering, per Gavita. Next time though, I'm starting the lights at 6 ft above the pots, to encourage some stretch early in the grow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom