Leds For A 4x4

• Thread starter Bobby1220
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bobby1220

Bobby1220

Hey guys,
Been growing for a while now and i think with this next crop in going to invest in an LED. Never used one before, been a staunch user of vivosun super hps bulbs since I started, but following some of your grow journals, it seems like the technology has really come far.

My buddy works at a hydro shop and he sells only blackdog brand LED.....and at 1400$ its a kick in the pants.. wondering if there are any other brands that are affordable and still give great, full spectrum light?

Leew421

Leew421

Hey guys,
Been growing for a while now and i think with this next crop in going to invest in an LED. Never used one before, been a staunch user of vivosun super hps bulbs since I started, but following some of your grow journals, it seems like the technology has really come far.

My buddy works at a hydro shop and he sells only blackdog brand LED.....and at 1400$ its a kick in the pants.. wondering if there are any other brands that are affordable and still give great, full spectrum light?
For that price I would get the Fluence Bioengineering Spydrx plus

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

you could always build your own COB setup, if you're up for the adventure };-)

Bobby1220

Bobby1220

So, decided before I make the thousand dollar jump, Id get a small 600w Led dual spectrum from Niello. Came with a 3 year warranty and I figured it would give me some time to experiment and get used to the change. Transformed the clone closet into the autoflower room.

-x4 sour livers from Mephisto genetics in med air pots all sprouted sometime last night

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

Hey guys,

Hey Bobby. Advanced Platinum LED P-Series give good results. They are a little less expensive than black dog. They have a lot less coverage than they claim though and tend to have a hot spot in the middle so you have to be careful of that. But they use 3 watt LEDs and are super energy efficient and run super cool but you're still paying a lot for Led that way. You can do what I did. Use a 3000k Cree DIY in combination with cheap blue and red. I will use the 3000k Cree and add straight blue with cheap $20 panels from eBay for veg. During flower I use a couple of galaxyhydro 600. They have a lot of excellent red.

Bobby1220

Bobby1220

From what I hear building your own seems to be the way to go. Ive never been too good with wiring but youtube is definitely a thing and it would be great to understand all the working parts. Im in a 4x4 appolo hort tent indoors, whats the best size LED for a space that size?

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

building your own can save a little cash but as I found out it doesn't save you a ton. on my last run(first ever run), I used one AdvancedLED p600 in a 4x4 tent but I only needed 2/3s of the area for my buckets(running a RDWC system). it worked great for vegging, but I felt it didn't cover enough for blooming. The company recommends using two of them for a 4x4 which would run about $1200. I decided to build a bloom only tent and build my own COB lighting array. Turns out that after spending about $1400 for everything for a 4x8 bloom area I probably only saved $200 over buying something that would give the equivalent lighting.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

From what I hear building your own seems to be the way to go. Ive never been too good with wiring but youtube is definitely a thing and it would be great to understand all the working parts. Im in a 4x4 appolo hort tent indoors, whats the best size LED for a space that size?
Anywhere between 800 and 1000 true LED Watts will do. I like to mix mine up though. In a 3 by 3 I'm using about 200 Watts of full spectrum 3000k cob and the other half for veg I add about 250 watts of several different bands of straight blue. And at flower remove the blue and add several different bands of straight red. I just make it dominant blue at veg and super dominant red at bloom. You could use Advanced Platinum P-Series LEDs but I still feel like they are super weak in the red and would add more. Plus the coverage will be about half what they claim. You could go with two p300 and add some red at flower. Everyone has their own opinion.

dnewsome2

dnewsome2

You can use straight full spectrum and it works great. I just go easy on the full spectrum because there are a lot of wasted Watts there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom