Let's See Your Frostiest Flowers

• Thread starter hammerhead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Personally, I think if you want the best "representative" of a specific strain, you need to clone the very female your wanting, so inducing it with an STS or colloidal silver is the best route, it's just that some plants are very resistant to such methods, so you've got to have a deft hand for it.

Then I pollinate at the stump by the stem as early in flower as possible, (week 1) usually on lower hanging branches, if I want buds also. Usually the STS sites themselves will flower in addition to making pollen, so these area's always have plenty of seed, I keep that all to the bottom portion of the plant.

Sorry but I hate the not natural stuff. I wanted to know how @Trustfall did his. Me? I'm old school. I get a male up, and then let the pods go nuts outside away from everything. The when they are peaked, the stalks get cut with the pods intact dropped into a Mason jar with ph balanced water, that's sitting on some wax paper. The pods all open within a week. Pollen hits the paper. I gather it, dip a watercolor brush into it and paint the lowest budded branch on the fem plant.

Seeds happen. Doesnt f up the rest of the plant. No chemicals.

The end.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
well if your into "natural" one method would be shock therapy, especially if your using genetics that are sensitive to such stressors, like heavy sativas. You can simply start flowering the plant, give it about a week, two weeks into flower, and expose that plant to out of sync light, (maybe even create a sudden ph change at the same time, then correct it the next day) that in itself is often enough to create a pollination reaction within the plant, but it's not going to be isolated to a specific part of the plant.

I guess the way to do it would be having 2 plants, then do it to one of them, get the pollens, fertilize your other plant or collect the pollens as you say, but those would be "female" only seeds, not male pollens. It would be essentially feminized, but done in a "chemically" free method.

Fudge

Fudge

@Frankster ive just come into a lot of seeds, too many for use in the near future, I've sealed them. Individually by strain, then put them and a packet of silica into a proper hermetically sealed snappy. And lastly put them in the refrigerator. I know ur working with seeds so I'm just wondering is my method OK? Would you suggest anything different, they might be there over a year

Thanks

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

well if your into "natural" one method would be shock therapy, especially if your using genetics that are sensitive to such stressors, like heavy sativas. You can simply start flowering the plant, give it about a week, two weeks into flower, and expose that plant to out of sync light, (maybe even create a sudden ph change at the same time, then correct it the next day) that in itself is often enough to create a pollination reaction within the plant, but it's not going to be isolated to a specific part of the plant.

I guess the way to do it would be having 2 plants, then do it to one of them, get the pollens, fertilize your other plant or collect the pollens as you say, but those would be "female" only seeds, not male pollens. It would be essentially feminized, but done in a "chemically" free method.
So does the hermie trait not carryover in the pollen? If you force it like that, I was under the impression that the offspring were prone to hermie as well. This is the first time I have heard anybody saying to pollinate a separate plant with another plant's natural hermie produced pollen. I am growing now to produce some RSO for my oldest brother with stage 1 lung cancer. I could kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak maybe??? Remove seeds and make oil.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Nah, it wont, unless it happens to be there, but herms are herms, and you'll know the difference, it might look similar, but it is NOT the same. So many times weed get labeled "herm" because it got a few seeds somehow, this is a simple misunderstanding of how genes actually get passed along in cannabis plants. hermaphroditism is another thing entirely and is a result of unstable genetics, it's a true "freak' in the cannabis world, because unlike most plants, cannabis actually has distinct males in females in nature.

When you start manipulating light cycles with sativas, your screwing with it on a level that's totally unnatural to the plants diurnal cycle , so your simulating, or exploiting a known weakness of the sativa trait, this doesn't work so well with heavy indicas, (northern varieties) because of their origins, as their the most diverse expression of cannabis, ie. the most ancient line. While sativas are interesting plants, they don't have the diversity that indicas possess. Regardless if they are a true subspecies or not, (matter of debate) the putative qualities of indicas, these are know variables and exploits.

Infact, I will go out on a limb and say "most" bag seeds, are NOT herm, probably only a small minority, and it will be apparent to the trained eye.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Nah, it wont, unless it happens to be there, but herms are herms, and you'll know the difference, it might look similar, but it is NOT the same. So many times weed get labeled "herm" because it got a few seeds somehow, this is a simple misunderstanding of how genes actually get passed along in cannabis plants. hermaphroditism is another thing entirely and is a result of unstable genetics, it's a true "freak' in the cannabis world, because unlike most plants, cannabis actually has distinct males in females in nature.

When you start manipulating light cycles with sativas, your screwing with it on a level that's totally unnatural to the plants diurnal cycle , so your simulating, or exploiting a known weakness of the sativa trait, this doesn't work so well with heavy indicas, (northern varieties) because of their origins, as their the most diverse expression of cannabis, ie. the most ancient line. While sativas are interesting plants, they don't have the diversity that indicas possess. Regardless if they are a true subspecies or not, (matter of debate) the putative qualities of indicas, these are know variables and exploits.

Infact, I will go out on a limb and say "most" bag seeds, are NOT herm, probably only a small minority, and it will be apparent to the trained eye.
Say if I wanted to try and force the average hybrid say like an Original Glue GG4 to produce pollen using light disruptions and succeed, the seeds from that pollen on that plant and any others I introduce it to will be as stable as the parents? I'm spending WAYYY too much money on seeds! 🤣🤔

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Sorry but I hate the not natural stuff. I wanted to know how @Trustfall did his. Me? I'm old school. I get a male up, and then let the pods go nuts outside away from everything. The when they are peaked, the stalks get cut with the pods intact dropped into a Mason jar with ph balanced water, that's sitting on some wax paper. The pods all open within a week. Pollen hits the paper. I gather it, dip a watercolor brush into it and paint the lowest budded branch on the fem plant.

Seeds happen. Doesnt f up the rest of the plant. No chemicals.

The end.
I don’t mess with femmed seeds my bro. And imo the femmed seeds is what is wrong with breeding today. Cramming bottlenecks g strains with fems especially gg4.I’d much rather find a passive male to pollinated clones with.
Now we have the middle weight champ of the ufc growing a bitch tit which the doc said it’s from smoking to much femmed weed lmao.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Say if I wanted to try and force the average hybrid say like an Original Glue GG4 to produce pollen using light disruptions and succeed, the seeds from that pollen on that plant and any others I introduce it to will be as stable as the parents? I'm spending WAYYY too much money on seeds! 🤣🤔
That’s the last strain you want to femenize trust me. Why not find a basic male and make your own? People need to stop spending their money on seeds, I made well over 5 thousand seeds in a 2x4 tent from one pollination😂 That should give you an idea what a rip off seed breeders are.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I don’t mess with femmed seeds my bro. And imo the femmed seeds is what is wrong with breeding today. Cramming bottlenecks g strains with fems especially gg4.I’d much rather find a passive male to pollinated clones with.
Now we have the middle weight champ of the ufc growing a bitch tit which the doc said it’s from smoking to much femmed weed lmao.

Lol. Nothing said about feminized weed in there. ;-)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That’s the last strain you want to femenize trust me. Why not find a basic male and make your own? People need to stop spending their money on seeds, I made well over 5 thousand seeds in a 2x4 tent from one pollination😂 That should give you an idea what a rip off seed breeders are.

“pollen chuckers”

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Lol. Nothing said about feminized weed in there. ;-)
That’s because the docs don’t know wth they are talking about. You should remeber me and Lyno talking about growing bitch tits on herebyears ago from gg4. And now it’s happening.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That’s because the docs don’t know wth they are talking about. You should remeber me and Lyno talking about growing bitch tits on herebyears ago from gg4. And now it’s happening.

i cant get with lyno’s genetic feminization theory.

Where did he go?

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

I hear ya and I am new to all this. I just don't have the space and plant count to deal with regulars. I am only allowed 5 plants. At least not yet. I'm trying to make some RSO and have weed to smoke. It takes a lot of bud. Don't want to waste valuable space on possible males. Plus I haven't experienced these yet. You guys are veterans lol

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
I hear ya and I am new to all this. I just don't have the space and plant count to deal with regulars. I am only allowed 5 plants. At least not yet. I'm trying to make some RSO and have weed to smoke. It takes a lot of bud. Don't want to waste valuable space on possible males. Plus I haven't experienced these yet. You guys are veterans lol
Don’t ever let someone tell you how many plants you can have. I’m allowed 12 but I grow as many as I want.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Which is what 90%+ of breeders do, it’s very rare to find breeders working lines in today’s market. Look at sin city. Blows my mind

I am sure not arguing. Im agreeing. Seems all the popular strain of the month breeders have lists like that. I stuck with a breeder a long time for the quality and i still think a few of those strains are better than any I have tried. and i can trust the seeds for production. Imagine that. :-)

I took a chance on HSC. Got 40 fem seeds to practice growing their stuff. Got some classic and some new stuff. The newest strains were picked and back crossed from 10,000 plants with a multi breeder collaboration.

conversely my useful seeds are all over the place. At least they were cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom