Let's talk about bringing indoor plants out with excessive veg time.

• Thread starter PsillyRabbitOG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

I am embarking on an elaborate grow that many would rightfully consider unnecessary since cannabis grows so quick from seed and so much can go wrong.

18 weeks of indoor veg followed by proper acclimation and eventually transplant outdoors on april 20ths with additional supplemental lighting.
I am a new poster but a grower of 15+ years in a state that has finally let me have 3 mature medical plants. So I want to take this opportunity to celebrate (maybe flex a lil bit) and show people what can be achieved with a a single plant.

Today my first seeds have germinated 18 weeks and 5 days from 4/20. I will use this thread to organize my thoughts and document the processes. Hopefully gain some much needed insight from skilled growers.

The first thing considered living so close to my neighbors is that their outside lights cause most feminized seeds I have run to hermie. I am going to keep this grow old school and start regular seeds.Its important in a northern climate to get a good hybrid. Pure indicas mold up by the end of September and sativas aren't finished until there is a chance of a snow storm destroying them or if they finish at all.
One of my favorite strains still available in regular form is White Russian (white widow X ak-47) Its sativa dominate but has enough indica in her to finish on time and produce medium to golf ball-sized fluffy buds that are mold resistant and from what I remember is fuckin delicious with an overall sandalwood tone.
Not exactly a loud terpene bomb like cookies, gelato or runtz but righteous in its own way.

At my latitude on April 20ths there is only 13.32 hours of sunlight with daylight from 6:09-7:41
IF I want the plants to have at least 17 hours of light an additional 3.5-4 hours of supplemental light is needed. I will have lights come on at 3AM to keep them in veg.
In a crowded suburb its necessary to keep the light exposer to a minimum that's why I think it's better to put the light on in the early instead AM

Right now the seedlings are on a timer from 3:00 AM to 7:45 PM. In 4-6 weeks I will root clones and put them under 12/12 in a separate tent to determine who will be culled, who will be transplanted/flowered and who will transplant and veg until April.
Would love to hear from anyone who has done this.Please criticize my plan so I can figure out if there is anything i haven't thought of.

Beazy

Beazy

Never done it myself but I would think you’re going to need A LOT of support. I have kicked around the idea of a monster scrog with 1 plant using an old trampoline frame but haven’t gotten that far. Looking forward to see how they turn out for ya !!

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

About a month in. Just wanted write myself some notes. Since I want to run the lights outside for the least amount of time I have been trying to keep the light cycle as short as possible without triggering flowering. I'm at 16 hours on right now the plants are still too young to flower. It has been increased twice from 15.30 hours the idea is that the light cycle, although short is still increasing hopefully replicating spring. It will be held here unless they show gametes.If they show signs I will separate the males If not clones will run @ 12/12. I decided I wanted two strains and started a second one up a month later. Seedlings get Fishsh!t with every other watering. @ 1 month plants received first dose of crab concentrate (1-2-0)
I work at a garden center so occasionally get free stuff + items previously bought in bulk* but this is a list of Items needed and bought so far for this grow specifically.
Nov 19 white Russian germinated
Dec 19 Caesar germinated

• Electricity/ month 20
  • Seeds 100
  • peat moss 20
  • MagiCal+ 20
  • fox farm ocean forest 20
  • coir*
  • Perlite *
  • "Pitt"moss ( free sample)
  • FishSh!t (free sample)
  • Crab concentrate (free sample)
  • Fox farm Liquid trio 30
  • Dr. earth Bat guano 20
  • Outdoor light shield 40
  • Black kow manure 6 bags 30
Right now i'm having internal conflict as to how they will be housed over the summer Atm im leaning toward these metel frames for support.
7 Ft. W x 4.5 Ft. D Steel Grill Gazebo

Last edited:
flowerdave

flowerdave

all I can throw in here is I started march 1st indoor last year and transplanted in the ground may 20th and it finished oct 10th. It put out 2lbs of finished bud. I had to support it with 8 ft steel t poles and lots of rope and finally with duct tape too to hold it together. Next year I am cutting 8 weeks off the veg. It was interesting to grow that monster but I was always out there doing something to keep her together. the trunk at the base was 6 inches across. I wish you good luck on your monster.

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

Welll, its just a bunch of seedlings under an LED, not exactly event full. There will 100% be pictures when there is something worth showing. Anything in the pictures you want me to detail?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Welll, its just a bunch of seedlings under an LED, not exactly event full. There will 100% be pictures when there is something worth showing. Anything in the pictures you want me to detail?
Hi welcome, My only thoughts on this is harvest time. I live in Nova Scotia and falls here are cool, damp,foggy by the end of Sept.. I gave up growing outdoors because I can't get them to the finish line without PM & / or bud rot....Dreams & tears...Big plants will be harder to keep from molding up, even when I thought I was keeping an eye on it one day I found mold growing around my stalk halfway up the plant the size of a large mouse. I know there are many up north here that have success outdoors but I'm not going to have all my hopes on a harvest go to rot again.....GL.....keep us posted maybe I can learn a trick or 2 from you.....

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

Yeah mold is certainly a problem. Needing a ladder just to visually check on branches is not ideal but its not gonna stop me. I'll try and search for some relatively inexpensive weather proof oscillating fans to increase airflow in the canopy.
ATM searching for the lights to use outdoors."Outdoor grow led" on amazon yields a few results. I am having trouble deciding what to buy. The highest wattage fixtures might not be the best for this scenario. Since the lights are being used solely to keep plants in veg not for flowering.
These are my options, would love to hear any feedback.

Adjustable Length LED String 6 light $75 150 watt
Adjustable Length LED String 12 light $135 300 watt
Single diode grow lamp $ 33 150 watt ( 25 watts)
Triple diode grow lamp $ 73 450 watt (150 watts)

S

Sto42

I am embarking on an elaborate grow that many would rightfully consider unnecessary since cannabis grows so quick from seed and so much can go wrong.

18 weeks of indoor veg followed by proper acclimation and eventually transplant outdoors on april 20ths with additional supplemental lighting.
I am a new poster but a grower of 15+ years in a state that has finally let me have 3 mature medical plants. So I want to take this opportunity to celebrate (maybe flex a lil bit) and show people what can be achieved with a a single plant.

Today my first seeds have germinated 18 weeks and 5 days from 4/20. I will use this thread to organize my thoughts and document the processes. Hopefully gain some much needed insight from skilled growers.

The first thing considered living so close to my neighbors is that their outside lights cause most feminized seeds I have run to hermie. I am going to keep this grow old school and start regular seeds.Its important in a northern climate to get a good hybrid. Pure indicas mold up by the end of September and sativas aren't finished until there is a chance of a snow storm destroying them or if they finish at all.
One of my favorite strains still available in regular form is White Russian (white widow X ak-47) Its sativa dominate but has enough indica in her to finish on time and produce medium to golf ball-sized fluffy buds that are mold resistant and from what I remember is fuckin delicious with an overall sandalwood tone.
Not exactly a loud terpene bomb like cookies, gelato or runtz but righteous in its own way.

At my latitude on April 20ths there is only 13.32 hours of sunlight with daylight from 6:09-7:41
IF I want the plants to have at least 17 hours of light an additional 3.5-4 hours of supplemental light is needed. I will have lights come on at 3AM to keep them in veg.
In a crowded suburb its necessary to keep the light exposer to a minimum that's why I think it's better to put the light on in the early instead AM

Right now the seedlings are on a timer from 3:00 AM to 7:45 PM. In 4-6 weeks I will root clones and put them under 12/12 in a separate tent to determine who will be culled, who will be transplanted/flowered and who will transplant and veg until April.
Would love to hear from anyone who has done this.Please criticize my plan so I can figure out if there is anything i haven't thought of.
This is tough to pull off without having them go back into veg even though natural sunlight cycle is < 12 hrs. It depends on strain and I’ve found temp

TSD

TSD

I am in the Northeast US. I grew monsters last harvest. Mold is inevitable in this climate, Everyone of mine came down early due to mold, some a month early, some a week or so. Culling the bottom branches for airflow is a necessity. Strains the produce giant colas are not suited for this climate. Never heard of a Hybrid outdoor/lights set up, but 18 months is an extreme veg. I put seeds in March 1st and put outside end of May, so, about 13/14 weeks of veg. Lower the lights down slowly over about 2 weeks before transplant, from 16 down to 14, which is about what the sun will be doing when they go out. They also get hardened off over about 2 weeks and learn to love the real sun... along with any early may warm days that they can spend in the shade. I started a grow diary but just didn't have time to keep it up. The ladies were more work than I bargained for lol... and harvest was ridiculous... glad I staggered it due to mold to be honest.
Honestly, that long of a veg seems like a waste of resources to me, and it sounds like it's going to be hard not to confuse the girls and possibly have them herm...
My biggest yeilder was 2 and a quarter pounds of good bud, and another quarter of popcorn buds. She was a white widow but I dubbed her big mama. I make my own soil and use Dutch Science bloom when they start to look hungry in the ground. Use promix and feed w the veg formula Dutch Science whilst inside. I made some mistakes and learned a lot this past year... mainly that I can't grow 12 monsters, it's too much. 🤣 Good luck with your experiment. I guess my point is that I had a slightly extended veg and grew 6+ foot ladies so prepare for the work that an 18 month veg will require when they take off outside. ✌

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

18 week veg* I agree 18 months would be a waste of time.

sto42 please elaborate I cant follow. They should not have to "go back" to veg. They should stay in veg with the supplemental lighting.

Just want to remind people this is strictly for fun/experiment, just to push the limits of what can be done. I know non of this is necessary. I'm 100% doing extra work.

Last edited:
ezenzyme

ezenzyme

What kinda dirt you going to run outside? Please tell me 5+ yards per plant!!!! I grow 5 pounders starting early and ill drop a few lil tips on ya. Bigger dirt is better, go big. REAL big 3yds per plant to start dont shy away from 600 800 or 1000 gal pots. Transplant timing for your final up pot is a big deal, getting the timing correct to be able to up pot into their final soil is a critical moment, time it wrong and your waiting for it to root into a 10gal pot when it should have been rooting into the final soils. Supplemental lighting for your babes? A must if you want to avoid shocking them into flower, how much light is needed? For three plants, one naked regular light blub will do the trick, you can also use patio lighting or solar lighting and it looks much less obvious that grow lights. You can also do a 1 hour lighting of them during the night to wake em up and keep them from flowering. Final lil piece of advice, get some cow fencing, the stuff with 5x5 or 6x6 boxes and make cages that are 3.5ft around by 6 ft tall, this foundation cage will really help hold the plant up when those buds swell up

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

I will take pics / measure the beds today or 2m ( its raining) I would say there is over 10 yards of soil for each plant. Its mostly compost but I have dumped a few yards of top soil into them over the years. There will also be about 100 pounds of manure dumped when planted.
I will start to focus on the repot timing. In another 40-50 days when the sex is known I will transplants into 7 gallon pots( Unless buying 10 G would be much better). That allows about 50-60 days of additional vegging and acclimation before the final transplant.
I didn't even think about just running the light for an hour to interrupt the light cycle. That would certainly be the most inconspicuous way to go about it. thanks for the comment thats why I joined.

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I will take pics / measure the beds today or 2m ( its raining) I would say there is over 10 yards of soil for each plant. Its mostly compost but I have dumped a few yards of top soil into them over the years. There will also be about 100 pounds of manure dumped when planted.
I will start to focus on the repot timing. In another 40-50 days when the sex is known I will transplants into 7 gallon pots( Unless buying 10 G would be much better)). That allows about 50-60 days of vegging and acclimation before the final transplant.
I didn't even think about just running the light for an hour to interrupt the light cycle. That would certainly be the most inconspicuous way to go about it. thanks for the comment thats why I joined.
Pics man pics.....we live on pics here.......Just saying......I grew a hundred foot beauty last year but the aliens came down and took her away....I shoulda taken a pic.now no one will believe me. ...lol........I do have witnesses but they were under the influence of mushrooms and they're not very trustworthy....lol

PsillyRabbitOG

PsillyRabbitOG

It's just atm there is nothing to show, This is the bed that two will go in to and the bed to left out of frame is the second bed.
as well as the first official picture of these plants.

Bed
1st
Last edited:
ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Just so ya know, ye average truck bed is a yard and a half max, a 600 gal bed is really fricken big. You should do them in 1000 gal and remember old dirt is just substrate with aeration your going to wanna mix out with pleanny compost worm and amendments. 1/3 compost/worm/composted manure.. Supp lighting is about giving them consistent light to trick em, nothing more, wattage etc doesnt matter really. I have literally put three regular light bults over a 20x40 greenhouse filled with plants and have 0 issues. with the patio lighting and where your at i would buy cheap string lights from Home Depot and string em like one would for the patio. Draws much less attention than a huge pot plants with spotlights all around it lighting it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom