Lets talk HERMS and LED's wtf

• Thread starter TimeLine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TimeLine

TimeLine

So F me week 3.5 all strains in tent herm'ed
these were all clones from tested strains used outdoors for years never ever had an issue

Got spider farm lights and this is first time this ever happened as this is new tent..have never used LED before for a full flower cycle
kinda pissed right now

So what can cause this to happen to 3 different tested outdoor strains allat once

Checked for light leaks, zero
checked again none
checked lights seem to be on cycle
did just flip to 12/12 from 18 no downward trend to 12

temps seem super reasonable nothing super high nothing super low
about a 10 degree swing at night/off cycle that's it

some minor pruning from damaged leaves when I first got lights

blah blah
I have put these things through F'n hell outdoors for years!!! 90 to 40 temp swings
light leaks etc etc anything you can think of I have put these things through

except using LED lights
so I can't help but think they got over light stressed
anyone else have this issue?

wtf F me today..found out yesterday when I looked closely..couldn't even deal while I processed the BS

GoblinSmasher

GoblinSmasher

Strange. And your timer was ok?

Havent heard about this issue being directly related to led before, but post what you find out !:)

TimeLine

TimeLine

yea timer is power strip 4 always on 4 for timer and they shut off turn on same time every day that all seems to be running smooth..but gonna re re re check it tonight
sucks cuz its a new setup so the variables are kinda many(as in well never grew in this room before) but overall these F'n strains are blue gel from barneys I have personally had this for 3 years now and have done grows with it before outside and have had the genetics inside also in veg for years sometimes under terrible conditions no signs of wankery
other strains from "lineage" black zombie and black cherry punch...had these for 2 years outside same no signs of anything wrong ever...now this time

not just a few infested really throughout the plant top to bottoms no F'n way that just happens for no reason esp after such an extended time period of no issues in every other condition then the one currently in

jguit

jguit

Supporter
How far are your LEDs from the canopy? Dimmed? Do you have anything to measure light intensity?

growsince79

growsince79

yea timer is power strip 4 always on 4 for timer and they shut off turn on same time every day that all seems to be running smooth..but gonna re re re check it tonight
sucks cuz its a new setup so the variables are kinda many(as in well never grew in this room before) but overall these F'n strains are blue gel from barneys I have personally had this for 3 years now and have done grows with it before outside and have had the genetics inside also in veg for years sometimes under terrible conditions no signs of wankery
other strains from "lineage" black zombie and black cherry punch...had these for 2 years outside same no signs of anything wrong ever...now this time

not just a few infested really throughout the plant top to bottoms no F'n way that just happens for no reason esp after such an extended time period of no issues in every other condition then the one currently in
Did you tape over the indicator light on the power strip?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Did you tape over the indicator light on the power strip?
A heater with a glowing element?......or mouse with a flashlight..........I don't want to be flippant with you but light from anything is the #1 reason for hermies...# 2 imho is genetics....grow from hermied seeds you can get seeded plants....1 hermie in the room can seed up the entire crop bin there dun that. 😁

jamk911

jamk911

Its most likely a light leak as you clearly already think...
Or just bad luck... 3 is not the largest drawing pool for genetics, soo you could pretty easily end up with 3 males or hermies ...or 3 females heh..

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Genetics or operator error. I’ve had light leaks for years and never a herm. How does an outdoor plant not herm when they’re exposed to porch lights, street lights, stars, moon, etc? Nutrient related stress or genetics is my take on herms. Hope you find the issue, happy grows.
burnz

TimeLine

TimeLine

exactly burnz..these things have had light leaks in epic fashion for YEARS! nothing
genetics hmmm yea I get it but WHY now?

light intensity
I do not have a way to measure
75% dimmed in veg and then cranked up to 95% ish for flower over a few days
Lights are at a reasonable distance away where as no damage occurring from it anymore...at first had some stress in end of veg when I first got lights

powerstrip is enclosed into blackout type box plus all light on it covered with tape
I went inside there and I amtelling you there is NO light leak
it is pitch pitch pitch black with someone actively trying to shine a huge spot light at tent while I amin there..it's dark

in fact it is the most dark I have ever ever ever grown in ever I simply can't find a light leak

again genetics why now? why after all this time and years

Mugwort

Mugwort

Genetics or operator error. I’ve had light leaks for years and never a herm. How does an outdoor plant not herm when they’re exposed to porch lights, street lights, stars, moon, etc? Nutrient related stress or genetics is my take on herms. Hope you find the issue, happy grows.
burnz
I totally agree

Mugwort

Mugwort

Maybe I’m missing it but someone asked the distance from your canopy to your led light. I added a second light (led) in my tent and first grow I had a Chem Dawg plant that hermed about a dozen seeds. I moved both lights to close to 30” from canopy from about 24” and never had problem again. I don’t have a lot of experience in these matters but I’ve read too many photons is one of the biggest causes of herming. Have you looked at the PPFD map for your light?

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
So F me week 3.5 all strains in tent herm'ed
these were all clones from tested strains used outdoors for years never ever had an issue

Got spider farm lights and this is first time this ever happened as this is new tent..have never used LED before for a full flower cycle
kinda pissed right now

So what can cause this to happen to 3 different tested outdoor strains allat once

Checked for light leaks, zero
checked again none
checked lights seem to be on cycle
did just flip to 12/12 from 18 no downward trend to 12

temps seem super reasonable nothing super high nothing super low
about a 10 degree swing at night/off cycle that's it

some minor pruning from damaged leaves when I first got lights

blah blah
I have put these things through F'n hell outdoors for years!!! 90 to 40 temp swings
light leaks etc etc anything you can think of I have put these things through

except using LED lights
so I can't help but think they got over light stressed
anyone else have this issue?

wtf F me today..found out yesterday when I looked closely..couldn't even deal while I processed the BS
Agree with others.

17 LED grows- Plenty of light leak, only grow from seeds, and I try to get good genetics..
Current crop HAD two herms which I conclude is from genetics because I feel like I am getting pretty consistent with MY grow environment. My $.02

Anthem

Anthem

exactly burnz..these things have had light leaks in epic fashion for YEARS! nothing
genetics hmmm yea I get it but WHY now?

light intensity
I do not have a way to measure
75% dimmed in veg and then cranked up to 95% ish for flower over a few days
Lights are at a reasonable distance away where as no damage occurring from it anymore...at first had some stress in end of veg when I first got lights

powerstrip is enclosed into blackout type box plus all light on it covered with tape
I went inside there and I amtelling you there is NO light leak
it is pitch pitch pitch black with someone actively trying to shine a huge spot light at tent while I amin there..it's dark

in fact it is the most dark I have ever ever ever grown in ever I simply can't find a light leak

again genetics why now? why after all this time and years
Check your timers, if you have ran the same genetics outside with some light issues and never hermied I seriously doubt this was from genetics. Most of the time it is some sort of light issue. I was just involved in a conversation this weekend and the grower had his light on for 3 or 4 days straight. He got seeds and seeds. Stress is the cause if the genetics are solid.

TimeLine

TimeLine

yea tonight I gotta stay up to monitor things
the timer was working but....wanna confirm confirm
but upon inspection of programs seems to be on point and does go off right on and on right on..have used before so only thing would be a random turn on or in the last week just started staying on..have not checked that in a weekish

what are people using to measure light?

I kept moving my lights more and more away as LEDs were super powerful
Just measured was at around 26 inches and I had sneaked up a few days ago..so 24inches would be my estimation for when the BS occurred
Just moved them to 3 inches and overall I kinda like that footprint more so in general gonna roll with that moving forward now on future grows
although the top sets seem to be just fine

This tent is not the end all for me, it's a new tent well been in the making for awhile but finally this winter doing the BS test for a spring next late fall/winter run
but wow wtf did not expect what I considered a super sound strain to do this..was extremely shocked

my SO is learning some stuff I have tried to keep from not happening so trying to use this as a learning thang at least

ok next question
will the plant keep throwing these or will it come out of the herm once problem corrected
gotta say I never kept one alive(on purpose) to find out
cuz if so I can let this play out a bit and try to correct it if possible for future

I'm more pissed at wtf I really don't wanna retire that cut
I have sifted pnds of this shit not one seeeed eveeer..and the thing is the most resistant plant I have ever worked with for preoutdoor veg, outdoor and living over the winter..was a great find TBH and is great in everyway except this BS now...oh just F me

things were going so goooooood
indoor hates me it really does
I will take standing naked in lightening storm and monsoon to protect the queens over a fan temp controlled enclosed tent any day

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

New to LED last year. Got multiple lights on Inkbirds and plug in strips. Cheap tent too. No hermies and I’m on my 3rd crop under the thing and have run about 10 different strains. Indica and sativa and etc.

Little lights do NOT emit light strong enough to induce anything. More bro science. Had the same equipment when I was running HID. No hermies then either. I’ve had nanners in a couple of strains but other guys here running the same strains got some nanners. I’ve had hermies under sunlight growing outdoors.

TimeLine

TimeLine

So I am about at harvest with these things some how
I harvested one that was the worst and a different strain musta been an odd clone from an outdoor plant
It had sacks. They def had pollen in them
I just don't see any seed development though anywhere

Perhaps the pollen is not viable or perhaps I hit my rinse cycles randomly just right
The other plants don't see to be affected
I had some lower mite damage that was rinsed and added some more beneficial insects will be fine till harvest until can scrub room down but I kept it larfy cuz wtf anyways..think I didnt rinse well down there or insects were not that far down
The bud looks ok one strain had a bit more browning of pistols but the strain is kinda like that anyways outside

Its so dark in there its disorienting no F'n way it's a light leak..even if there was yea right these things had been outside before
I tend to think it was over stressing pest, heat, transplant, flowering, different light IDK
but 2 of the strains are serious outdoor makers so I am now like F me what to do here

anyone else have a plant herm, and then the pollen be impotent? I guess is my question
or have a plant that never herm'ed outdoors but did indoors
and these were not like one herm area it was like wow ona few..no F'n way I missed that outdoors I could see maybe one location but this was infested
over all screw it gonna get these gender confused plants to harvest

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

What are the chances that you brought or got some pollen into your tent from outside? LED's alone will not cause a plant to herm otherwise there would be thousands of these posts in every forum.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I had a plant herm and thought i had picked all the nanners. By harvest, the lower buds on other plants in the tent started forming seeds that you couldnt see easily but you could sure smell and taste them when your smoked it. Thankfully the tops werent seedy but overall the crop tasted shitty.

In hindsight, If i ever see a plant with nanners again, it'll immediately get destroyed.

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

What are the chances that you brought or got some pollen into your tent from outside? LED's alone will not cause a plant to herm otherwise there would be thousands of these posts in every forum.
Bringing pollen into your tent on your clothes won't cause herm'ing. Seeds maybe. My money is on environmental stress of some kind, be it light cycle, light leaks or wrong VPD.

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

So I am about at harvest with these things some how
I harvested one that was the worst and a different strain musta been an odd clone from an outdoor plant
It had sacks. They def had pollen in them
I just don't see any seed development though anywhere

Perhaps the pollen is not viable or perhaps I hit my rinse cycles randomly just right
The other plants don't see to be affected
I had some lower mite damage that was rinsed and added some more beneficial insects will be fine till harvest until can scrub room down but I kept it larfy cuz wtf anyways..think I didnt rinse well down there or insects were not that far down
The bud looks ok one strain had a bit more browning of pistols but the strain is kinda like that anyways outside

Its so dark in there its disorienting no F'n way it's a light leak..even if there was yea right these things had been outside before
I tend to think it was over stressing pest, heat, transplant, flowering, different light IDK
but 2 of the strains are serious outdoor makers so I am now like F me what to do here

anyone else have a plant herm, and then the pollen be impotent? I guess is my question
or have a plant that never herm'ed outdoors but did indoors
and these were not like one herm area it was like wow ona few..no F'n way I missed that outdoors I could see maybe one location but this was infested
over all screw it gonna get these gender confused plants to harvest
This happens a lot bringing vintage outdoor plants inside.
A lot of indoor breeding was first geared toward cleaning up outdoor stuff that herms inside.
Nothing new or odd at all. Its best to run clones of outdoor stuff inside first.
This will allow the plant to become acclimated to the new indoor environment.
Second and third runs of clones may start to have a decline in frequency after acclimation.
Would be best to run seeds of the outdoor plant if you have them.
So you can sift through to find the ones that want to grow inside.

Top Bottom