Light Burn Or Nutrient Issue or something else?

• Thread starter bsl333
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bsl333

Hey there,

This is my first grow and here’s what I am running:

soil: coots recipe, all ingredients sourced from build a soil

lighting: Scynce raging kush 2

Temp: 71-78 (night - day)

Humidity: 60-70%

VPD: 0.9 - 1.1; avg of 1

Genetics:
1 Tony greens OG Chem Bub
2 Tony greens NL5 x GG4
3 cosmic wisdom twerpz

All plants were grown from seed in a 3.5 x 3.5 x 3.5 container, planted on 2/5/23. So initially I had my light about 5 ft above the plants at 60% and I burned 6/7 of them within 2 days. I turned down the light to 20% and ran them for a few weeks, with all recovering slowly. For the last 2 weeks, I’ve been cranking up the lighting and moving the plants closer to the light; they’re currently about 3 ft from the light. I started to notice some yellowing in the leaves and was curious if this is a nutrient deficiency or if this is light burn? I’ve only fed them once with organic gem fish emulsion at about 1/3 strength. I’ve watered them a few times making a light worm casting extract. I did transplant into 5 gallon containers last night and they got some rootwise and some big 6 micro from build a soil.

I measured the light using the photobio par meter and am currently around 200 PPFD.

I think all my plants are pretty small given their age (32 days since germination) but I think this is due to the initial light burn. Any insight into whether I’m running the lights too high, nutrient issue or even I’m being too worried would be appreciated!
Light burn or nutrient issue or something else

Light burn or nutrient issue or something else 2
Light burn or nutrient issue or something else 3
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
firstly keep all your post in one thread..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
why hay? get rid of it.. and anything else that’s growing that’s not marijuana kill it..

B

bsl333

why hay? get rid of it.. and anything else that’s growing that’s not marijuana kill it..
it’s to build a mulch layer, help keep the soil moist, light off the soil. Other plants are just cover crop, mostly clover - should help with the life in the soil, no? I was planning to chop and and drop it in a week or so. Was just to help get the 5 gallon inoculated with some life before the transplant.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
sorry about that. I thought the steps were intro, then grow diary.
all good brother no worries..
we’ll keep this thread and i’ll delete the others..
than we’ll get to helping you out..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
it’s to build a mulch layer, help keep the soil moist, light off the soil. Other plants are just cover crop, mostly clover - should help with the life in the soil, no? I was planning to chop and and drop it in a week or so. Was just to help get the 5 gallon inoculated with some life before the transplant.
well unless someone else chimes in saying it’s good., i’d remove it all, hay and clover.,
the marks on your leaves, i’d say is from the light..
what kind of light and how far from tops?

B

bsl333

well unless someone else chimes in saying it’s good., i’d remove it all, hay and clover.,
Lighting: Synce Raging Kush 2 - LED
Running it with red spectrum turned off and 70/30 blue/warm spectrum at 44% 3 feet above.

PAR meter is reading around 180-200 at this intensity.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

i have seen a few people using hay top of their soil, often people using living soil

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

yeah there is lot of companions plants you can use dunno if clover has any benefit tho'

B

bsl333

yeah there is lot of companions plants you can use dunno if clover has any benefit tho'
Per Ed Reeds Cannabis Grower’s Handbook,

“There are many plants that a grower can use as a living mulch, but the most popular and easiest to obtain is the Dutch white clover is a living mulch. This nitrogen-fixing (meaning it pulls nitrogen from the air and fixes it so it is available through the roots) legume is a low grower. It forms dense mats of very low green growth so it does not interfere with cannabis growth.”

B

bsl333

So I’m curious how much would you reduce the lighting? Like where do you start? 10% reduction in intensity? Meaning 44% to 40%… or is this too little and the plants wouldn’t notice this? Thanks for all the help!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
So I’m curious how much would you reduce the lighting? Like where do you start? 10% reduction in intensity? Meaning 44% to 40%… or is this too little and the plants wouldn’t notice this? Thanks for all the help!
has it been at that height and intensity for a while now?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Imo never starve a plant from a spectrum if you can avoid it or you will resuce overall photosynthesis. Plants use different photoreceptors for different spectrums or spectral combinations.

red is the most efficient spectrum for photosynthesis

B

bsl333

has it been at that height and intensity for a while now?
It’s been at this height for a week now. I started the intensity at this height at 33%, then had been increasing it 5-10% per day and then stopped once I started to notice this. It’s been at this intensity + height for about 4 days now.

B

bsl333

Imo never starve a plant from a spectrum if you can avoid it or you will resuce overall photosynthesis. Plants use different photoreceptors for different spectrums or spectral combinations.

red is the most efficient spectrum for photosynthesis
I may have misspoke. The light has full spectrum control. It has a channel for reds and deep reds. This is turned off, but there’s some reds from the warm I believe. I’m using their veg recipe since I don’t know enough to create my own recipe. Spectrum looks like the following:

613B23FF E252 43EA B8F2 69643F7301C4
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I may have misspoke. The light has full spectrum control. It has a channel for reds and deep reds. This is turned off, but there’s some reds from the warm I believe. I’m using their veg recipe since I don’t know enough to create my own recipe. Spectrum looks like the following:
Ahhh there you go. Yeah much better

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok you should be good than, seems like those marks are from a week or more ago.,
otherwise could be a watering issue but pretty sure it’s not..

B

bsl333

ok you should be good than, seems like those marks are from a week or more ago.,
otherwise could be a watering issue but pretty sure it’s not..
Awesome. I won’t make any changes in that case and I’ll just observe the new growth. Thanks again all! Really appreciate the quick help. I’ll post some pics in a week or so and hopefully these guys/gals are raging!

Latest posts

Top Bottom