Light Dep Greenhouse

• Thread starter diSPENCERy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
diSPENCERy

diSPENCERy

So.. I have a 10 x 20 greenhouse. It's wood framed, with corrugated fiberglass walls and roofs. It's mostly sealed. There is a concrete floor with a drain, and about 15 amps of available 115v power. Also, there is a pellet stove, if I absolutely needed to heat it. It's really dirty. It came with the house i'm renting.

I have a pretty big plant. It's in a 15 gallon container, and I was going to put in the greenhouse in a 100 gallon container, on a pallet. I also got a pallet jack so I would be able to move the plant around inside the greenhouse.

The greenhouse itself sits about 20 feet off of the South End of the house. There are some medium large tree's about 20ft further south from the greenhouse as well. The greenhouse is free from visual obstructions east to west. It sits 20 feet east to west x 10 feet north to south.

Anyone know what time(s) of the day works best for light dep? I was planning on starting light dep late June early July.

Do I want to put the dark room on the north or the south end of the greenhouse? I'd assume the north end, but depending on what time I 'pull tarps', it may get better light opposite of that.

I've never done any sort of outdoor / greenhouse projects. Any help would be appreciated.

W

Webster

Time of day depends on when the house gets the best light.
Watch the path of the sun over your house, then predict where the sun will be later this spring/summer. Just give your plant the best light. As far as location north or south, I would assume the north would be a little cooler. If the sun heats up your dark room, you need to be careful.
If it were me, I would look into getting some more plants. If the house is staying warm enough, I would put them in it now with some supplemental light to keep them in veg. When it comes time to dep, I would find a way to black out the whole house instead of using two rooms for one plant.
Also, you didn't mention your ventilation, heat is a big factor to consider.

Dunge

Dunge

I don't understand what it is you are trying to do, but I can help with the question of sun location.
http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/data-services/alt-az-us
I plan to contrive a blackout greenhouse to limit morning and evening light and allow only 12 hours of light. I live in the far North, so daylight hours are long in summer and it gets cold quickly in the fall, so I will need to take measures to keep the plants flowering and assure they finish in August.

diSPENCERy

diSPENCERy

If it were me, I would look into getting some more plants.
I'm a medical grower, and we only service a small, select group of people. My legal plant numbers are limited, or I would just fill her up and start with some fresh beans. Nothing is more pest resistant and disease resistant then fresh genetics. I have a number of reasons for choosing just this one plant for outdoor use, primarily, it's size. It sits in a 15 gallon smart pot, and is about 6 feet tall. I've been training it and cutting clones from her for quite some time, she is too big to fit in my indoor flower room, and I have other smaller generations ready to fill that bill. The results i'm getting indoors are impressive enough (lb per plant) for me not to risk any more experiments in the greenhouse. Secondly, the strain is Purple Urkle, slow growing indica dominate with a moderate yield producing dense colas in a short amount of time. I've seen it done out door with excellent results in Northern Cali.
If the house is staying warm enough, I would put them in it now with some supplemental light to keep them in veg.
I have a old C&C 400watt ballast and a crap sheet metal reflector, with a nice MH bulb I was going to put in there, but as of right now, it's still probably a bit too cold to risk. A few more weeks I'd say it should be good. I'm still getting night time lows around 35˚F and daytime highs around 55˚F.
Also, you didn't mention your ventilation, heat is a big factor to consider.
The greenhouse has some pop-up vents on the roof. I'm looking into some getting some shutter fans, or even just putting some box fans exhausting out the roof. I have some blowers I was going to use for the darkroom.

I'll take some photos. I just took down some of the shelving to make more room.

diSPENCERy

diSPENCERy

I moved out anything that was being stored in there and a friend brought over his pressure washer.

http://i323.invalid.com/albums/nn444/turboka24de/The%20Greenhouse%202011/CAM_0083.jpg
View from South End

http://i323.invalid.com/albums/nn444/turboka24de/The%20Greenhouse%202011/CAM_0084.jpg
North End View

http://i323.invalid.com/albums/nn444/turboka24de/The%20Greenhouse%202011/CAM_0085.jpg
North End View

http://i323.invalid.com/albums/nn444/turboka24de/The%20Greenhouse%202011/CAM_0086.jpg
North East removable Shelf

http://i323.invalid.com/albums/nn444/turboka24de/The%20Greenhouse%202011/CAM_0089.jpg
South East Side, where the shelving used to be.

W

Webster

That is a really good looking ghouse, and it sounds like you are on top of things.

The things I would consider after looking at your pictures:

1) Dep. duration - I have been told that force flowering a 9-week plant could take 14 to finish. This would be a concern because I know it gets wet and cold early in MT. I would ask specifically in another post the duration of Purple Urkle force flower.

2) Ventilation - Definitely get some more intake and outtake to the outside. Possibly some shade cloth to block visibility so you can open the doors?

3) Doorway- Hope she doesn't get too wide to get carted into the dep through the door frame!

As far as which room to make the dep, I would just check sunlight in the house at dif. parts of the day, and then predict light levels later in the summer based on the sun getting higher as summer gets on and lower into fall. However, you could rig some rolled up panda with zippers and velcro and blackout the room she will sit in, this would take the doorway out of the equation.

Looks like a great project, be careful for the rot. Ventilation, careful monitoring, and getting her to finish before the rain and cold hit.

ncga

ncga

diSPENCERy

Very nice greenhouse. As mentioned you really need to have good ventilation when you pull the black out tarp over the greenhouse. Have fun being with that 6 am uncover and 6 pm recover routine. I find people only do light dep one or two years LOL

nc

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Really Nice Green House!

Im doin light dep right now too.

It can be a bit of a pain,,,But no pain no gain

Top Bottom