Light Flickering From One Socket, But Not From Another

• Thread starter Noworries
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Noworries

Okay, i just got done setting up a room. I use an 8 light controller box (or whatever its called). Power box wired to plug in 8 1,000 ballasts. I only use 4 at the moment.

Well, in one socket, my hood flickered on off on off on off on off (1000 hps, magnetica ballast) I changed where it was plugged in at on the box and it stopped the flickering...

defective box? I'm going to test it to make sure all the terminals have the correct voltages tomorrow, until then any other ideas it could be?

I just shut the bitch down for the night I got tired of fucking with it

N

Noworries

PS, i've wired several of these boxes and never had an issue.

N

Noworries

All the connections have 240v from the power supply, If I check the outlets on the flip box going to the lights themselves, should they have 240v?

Natural

Natural

Bangarang just had one of the hot leads melt right off a contactor in a powerbox, and said his shop called it a common problem. Never have been inside a powerbox, but I would def have a very close inspection of all the connections and/or get a return on the unit. I get by with a smaller CAP controller; so I'm not gonna preach, but with that many lights..maybe you should consider a custom built controller that uses better parts. gl

straincreation

straincreation

do you have a voltage tester? if so see if its putting out a steady stream of current or if its jumping or doin anything funny. if so check your warranty and return that equipment. other than that if its workin fine in all other outlets then there is a manufacturers defect.
BOL! happy farmin;)

zeke

zeke

You got a bad box mang. Made by monkeys and monkeys forget shit. I had a cap box once. It came with a couple outlets unwired. I couldn't figure it out until I noticed the missing wire. Kind of funny. It never occurred to me that someone would only wire half the box and it would still pass "inspection". Mistakes happen right?. Not when I pay good money and my house could burn down. Needless to say I returned that box and got a completely different brand. Made in America, by conscientious folks that are in constant fear of the Insurance Company Overlords and their Underwriters Laboratory goons.

N

Noworries

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up going down and checking all kinda shit before going to bed, just couldn't leave it alone.

What it ended up being was the extensions... apparently my ballasts dont have enough juice to start the bulbs after (approx) 35 +/- feet of cable.

I started the process of elimination and ended up dragging a known working ballast from hood to hood, UNFORTUNATELY... I have all my fucking wiring DONE. Shit in place, nice, neat....all that good stuff.

I ended up cutting the extension cords down to the minimum length I needed to reach my ballast bank. As of right now both lights that would not fire are firing with modified wiring from the bank, but I haven't hooked everything back up to the flip box yet. In an hour I'm going to hook everything back up as its supposed to be and see if that extra 5 feet gives me issues...if so I'll have to relocate my bank to a central position. (hopefully I dont have to do that) I really hated splicing and whatnot, but I'd rather do that than move the bank. I was proud of how clean this room was

I really didnt think that was going to be it, I have run 600's on extensions for years without issues, some even have 45 ft between the ballast and the hood, no issues...I'm fairly new to the world of 1k's so, i guess these bitches just need more juice. I'm also new to magnetic ballasts, I use all digital on my 600's in the past *shrug*.

Natural

Natural

lol..DUDE..magnetic ballasts only have a striking distance of max 15'. Including any runs for the flip.
Still..heed the warning on those powerboxes my friend.

N

Noworries

Affirmative, I guess that goes with the theory then... lol magnetic ballasts

Will do

Natural

Natural

Affirmative, I guess that goes with the theory then... lol magnetic ballasts

Will do
I'm all digi these days too..you wouldn't believe how many still have magnetic. I gotta catch myself assuming everyone went digi like I did..lol.
Those things spike pretty high on start up too..nevermind the heat they put off. Now you have good grounds to limit those who want the old skool mags..force em over to the darkside..uhhmmhmm..uh modern times..lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom