Light upgrade? or don't worry about it?

• Thread starter PhoSoup
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhoSoup

PhoSoup

So I'm a new grower, and a new member here. Just started my very 1st grow and it's been 12 days since I put the seeds in a cup of water.

I have an HLG 550 v2 Rspec for my grow light. I was browsing around today and noticed that they have a new model out, the 650R Rspec.

All of my equipment is new, and I have a few days left to return my light if I need to.

I can see that this new 650R has a higher top wattage, and can dim down to 60W (making it betterfor seedlings, right?)

Is it worth getting the 650R and returning the 550 v2 Rspec since that's an option for me?

Gotta make this decision soon. Thanks for the advice guys happy to be here.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So I'm a new grower, and a new member here. Just started my very 1st grow and it's been 12 days since I put the seeds in a cup of water.

I have an HLG 550 v2 Rspec for my grow light. I was browsing around today and noticed that they have a new model out, the 650R Rspec.

All of my equipment is new, and I have a few days left to return my light if I need to.

I can see that this new 650R has a higher top wattage, and can dim down to 60W (making it betterfor seedlings, right?)

Is it worth getting the 650R and returning the 550 v2 Rspec since that's an option for me?

Gotta make this decision soon. Thanks for the advice guys happy to be here.
What is your grow space?

Cost difference?

PhoSoup

PhoSoup

@Aqua Man Thanks man! 4x4x5'11 Gorilla Shorty. I badly want to get the 1' extension kit as my ceilings are 7ft tall and that should get me to 1" close to the ceiling for max height + plant size potential.

It's a $200 difference.

Admittedly I am not give my seedlings proper light. I just have them under my grow light on the lowest setting, which I believe is 200w on the 550 v2.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aqua Man Thanks man! 4x4x5'11 Gorilla Shorty. I badly want to get the 1' extension kit as my ceilings are 7ft tall and that should get me to 1" close to the ceiling for max height + plant size potential.

It's a $200 difference.

Admittedly I am not give my seedlings proper light. I just have them under my grow light on the lowest setting, which I believe is 200w on the 550 v2.
Nope keep your 550 it's more than enough light for that space. I have a hlg 600 and I never got to run it full out in my 4x4 and i run with CO2.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Glad I asked! $200 saved! Appreciate you taking the time to reply.
No problem and welcome to the farm. Looking forward to the grow. Love the hlg lights. Hope you make a grow diary so we can all follow along.

PhoSoup

PhoSoup

No problem and welcome to the farm. Looking forward to the grow. Love the hlg lights. Hope you make a grow diary so we can all follow along.

More noob questions:

Is there a particular sub-forum where I should start a diary?

Any best practices for uploading photos? (deleting metadata? etc?)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

More noob questions:

Is there a particular sub-forum where I should start a diary?

Any best practices for uploading photos? (deleting metadata? etc?)
Here is a link to the grow diary section. Just make a new post here. I find it nice when ppl describe the grow in the title. Rather than just... My grow diary.

Photos can be uploaded directly.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

I just got a Inventronics EUD-600S280DT LED driver and very much like the dimming options over the HLG-600.......

Just waiting on the QB 648 Diablo boards to get here.....

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I just got a Inventronics EUD-600S280DT LED driver and very much like the dimming options over the HLG-600.......

What's the difference in the dimmer?

IMHO the 650 should be used for a 5x5 and is way overkill for a 4x4. A little more efficiency but nothing that your going to notice for one light.

FourthCity

FourthCity

I think hlg has switched over to inventronics drivers (from meanwell) for their kits and preassembled lamps. My hlg 600's came with the eud-600 drivers about a year ago.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks again dude.

I started a Diary but still figuring out the picture situation. Trust me it's a situation lol.

Ok watching it.. time to look later appreciate the heads up.

I think hlg has switched over to inventronics drivers (from meanwell) for their kits and preassembled lamps. My hlg 600's came with the eud-600 drivers about a year ago.
@TheBioMaster and I had a discussion the other day when I asked what the difference was. Well turns out they are some pretty nice advantages to them.

@TheBioMaster would you mind sharing here?

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

I thought MeanWell drivers were the best.....but after purchasing this Inventronics EUD 600 watt driver I don't think that anymore really.

They are used in the HLG650R light DIY kits as mentioned......

The driver cost $116.00 dollars shipped in 3 days.....plus a $30 programer.

No need for timers, dimmers, any worries of parallel wiring.....all handled and done through the LED driver. Even does sunsets, where it dims very slowly to off.....very very nice!

I just got it wired up! Did some testing with it......its really powerful. I gotta get the voltage/energy monitors installed, but that is about it.

I was worried about the programming but it really is/was a breeze and its optional. you can just connect a 2 wire POT on it to dim manually.....or just run it wide open out of the box!! Prolly should get a $6 dimmer...LOL!!

There are many advanced programming features and the default lighting scheme levels are pretty much on point.....starts dimming at 45 minutes before lights out on Level 1 for example.....you can program up to 8 light levels.

Output Luminous Compensation (OLC) is another very nice feature!

The EUD series drivers are also compatible with most controllers.

It also maintains voltage/current even if LED temps go up...it has OTP features which should make you rest easy from power or temp changes.

Overall I gotta say this is a serious driver and really IMHO your only option if you need or want more than 600 watts in a single driver. And they make smaller drivers and are priced cheaper than HLG drivers.

If anyone has questions let me know.....I can post the 3ftx3ft light build specs I just completed if interested.

Bio

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I thought MeanWell drivers were the best.....but after purchasing this Inventronics EUD 600 watt driver I don't think that anymore really.

They are used in the HLG650R light DIY kits as mentioned......

The driver cost $116.00 dollars shipped in 3 days.....plus a $30 programer.

No need for timers, dimmers, any worries of parallel wiring.....all handled and done through the LED driver. Even does sunsets, where it dims very slowly to off.....very very nice!

I just got it wired up! Did some testing with it......its really powerful. I gotta get the voltage/energy monitors installed, but that is about it.

I was worried about the programming but it really is/was a breeze and its optional. you can just connect a 2 wire POT on it to dim manually.....or just run it wide open out of the box!! Prolly should get a $6 dimmer...LOL!!

There are many advanced programming features and the default lighting scheme levels are pretty much on point.....starts dimming at 45 minutes before lights out on Level 1 for example.....you can program up to 8 light levels.

The EUD series drivers are also compatible with most controllers.

It also maintains voltage/current even if LED temps go up...it has OTP features which should make you rest easy from power or temp changes.

Overall I gotta say this is a serious driver and really IMHO your only option if you need or want more than 600 watts in a single driver. And they make smaller drivers and are priced cheaper than HLG drivers.

If anyone has questions let me know.....I can post the 3ftx3ft light build specs I just completed if interested.

Bio
Thank you sir đź‘Ť

FourthCity

FourthCity

Ok watching it.. time to look later appreciate the heads up.

@TheBioMaster and I had a discussion the other day when I asked what the difference was. Well turns out they are some pretty nice advantages to them.

@TheBioMaster would you mind sharing here?
I was just trying to point out to the op that whether they stick with the hlg 550 or go 600 or 650, all come with an inventronics driver. Thebiomaster kinda made is sound like something the op would have to upgrade to rather than something that comes standard. I agree with all the benefits mentioned.

Top Bottom