lighting question: mh & hps combo or 1000w hps

• Thread starter orbad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
orbad

orbad

I'm having trouble deciding which route to go. I have a 600 hps in a sun systems hood vented with a 6" fan in a 4x4 tent that is vented separately with a 4" fan.

I think adding the mh spectrum to the tent would be great but I'm worried about making the best use of the light possible. Outwest uses the growzilla with 1 of each bulb but it is no bigger than my current hood.

I've also thought about going to a xxxl hood with a 1000 hps.

Could I cram 2 bulbs into the xxl hood?

Is the growzilla adequate for my space? Optimal?

Or two cool tubes with one of each?

Or what else am I missing?

dankworth

dankworth

Cool tubes suck at getting light to the canopy. Don't get those.
What kind of reflector do you currently own? Having the same reflector type when you are running hps and mh together is important.
Dude once you run 1 hps 1 mh during feeding, and mh for both in the last 2 weeks, you will never look back.

Super sun 2s have a very small footprint. I am a big fan. But you cannot get them right up on the canopy like a wide reflector like an XXL or XXXL or whatever they are.
So you would need to have the canopy end up finishing like no closer than 18" probably.

Maybe look at 2 6" Blockbusters. Great combo of intensity, spread, efficiency, and footprint.
I am pretty impressed with those reflectors.
Get the mogul extenders to center the 600watt lamps within the reflectors for more production.

Look into digilux lamps at plantlightinghydroponics.
I am hearing good things about Ushios too, but I have not used them.
You could get all gangster and run a 1k and a 6 in the tent.

orbad

orbad

This is what I'm running now. I'd have room for two in the tent but I'm unsure of the light distribution between two 20" hoods in a 4' sq area.

IMG 201205052111

IMG 2012050518776

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

Daystars . They are almost as small as cool tubes and a better spread than the ochos or any bigger shield.

K

kushtrees

1000w dual arcs. 600w hps 400w mh, one bulbs, sort of expensive but I like them

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

Dual arcs are sweet! I love vegging under them, but they lack the lumens of an HPS bulb and cost twice as much... I have two in my flower room right now and I am going to switch out to 2 HPS bulbs and 1 MH instead of the dual arcs...

I have always been a fan of having a mixed spectrum in flower tho...

MH for stretchier sativas is the best thing ever... The blue in the MH helps control the stretch a lot...

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I'm having trouble deciding which route to go. I have a 600 hps in a sun systems hood vented with a 6" fan in a 4x4 tent that is vented separately with a 4" fan.

I think adding the mh spectrum to the tent would be great but I'm worried about making the best use of the light possible. Outwest uses the growzilla with 1 of each bulb but it is no bigger than my current hood.

I wish they made something with a Magnum spread that held two bulbs. That would be the best. Now that I've moved to a 4x6 I start thinking about an extra lamp. 2400w of broad spectrum lighting would be hot shit. Nah. I'm good where I'm at.

outwest

deep buddy

deep buddy

I wish they made something with a Magnum spread that held two bulbs. That would be the best. Now that I've moved to a 4x6 I start thinking about an extra lamp. 2400w of broad spectrum lighting would be hot shit. Nah. I'm good where I'm at.

outwest
that would be easy to fabricate just add a mogul socket.
so here's what i think
dual arcs are cool but its cheaper in the long run to just run 600whps and a 400w halide, and it will be more robust.
i would be careful putting two bulbs side by side ala the growzilla. end to end will give you a better footprint.
but i would go with 2 smaller hoods, or add an extra socket to a magnum, or raptor.

orbad

orbad

I'm thinking I'm going to try and go with the add a mogul to the magnum. Have to see what kinda deal I can get out of the grow shop.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
that would be easy to fabricate just add a mogul socket.
so here's what i think
dual arcs are cool but its cheaper in the long run to just run 600whps and a 400w halide, and it will be more robust.
i would be careful putting two bulbs side by side ala the growzilla. end to end will give you a better footprint.
but i would go with 2 smaller hoods, or add an extra socket to a magnum, or raptor.

Funny, I was peering into my tent tonight and wondering if I can put 2 1ks in the growzilla. The growzilla is basically a hydrofarm 6" with 2 sockets. Hmmmm. . .

outwest

Latest posts

Top Bottom