Lighting Suggestion

• Thread starter ogkb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

ogkb

hey everyone, I just recently built a 10x10x8 poly room. I put up 4 8inch raptor hoods. I have a couple 1000w hortilux dual arc and 4 1000w hortilux super hps. The hoods are about 19 inches apart so I can ad some supplemental lighting as well I have a 6 tube t5 with a few porwer veg bulbs in it an a couple single t5 fixtures just lying around was thinking of mabe throwing that in the middle for now and the singles on the sides. I eventually would like to put up a moving rail with a nice led but haven't thought to much into that. But any how the room is about to flip an my question to anyone with advice given the lighting I currently have how would you go about it. Was planning on just flowering with the 1000w super hps but a buddy of mine suggested doing 2 of the 1000w dual arc diagonally from each other an then same with the super hps.

Any input is appreciated thanks for the read.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wow, all that light for that size room? Others may disagree, but to me, four thouies in a room that size (it's about the size of my room) is really packin' it in. You're going to have a problem with heat IMO. I honestly don't think you need to add the LEDs or T5s in that mix with all that HPS you've got goin' on.

How to arrange the lights..? I kinda like your buddies idea, to be honest. But if you observe very different growth rates under the regular HPS vs the dual arcs, you may want to move your ladies around so they all get some love.

Are you gonna have room to move around in that room? :p :D

O

ogkb

The more I think about it the heat most definitely will become a problem. Not much room at all Ill be getting my go-go gadget on haha. But another problem I'm having is the girls ar out growing the from they are already over 4 ft tall so I'm in the middle of constructing a homemade 8.5x8.5x3.5 adjustable pvc scrog to bring them down an then flip them in like a week or so. S o with the scrog I wont be able to move the ladies should I just put all super hps up or go with my buddies recommendation?
Thanks for the response @Seamaiden

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
So let me see here, you have a 10 x 10 x 8' room with loss of ceiling height due to suspending the hps lighting, your plants in veg are already 4' tall and you havent flipped to flower yet. WOW.......

Then lets look at the heat factor as @Seamaiden mentioned that imo is too much lighting. What is going to be your heat control plan? Vented air cooled hoods I dont think will be adequate. Have you made any provisions for additional cooling/ac? I think you will constantly be battling heat stress of your gurlz with that much lighting ,not to mention the possibility of bleaching out your buds.

The amount of lumens with fresh hps bulbs is going to be approx 130,000 lumens per bulb for a total of 520,000 total lumens. That to me imo is way too much light. I dont have time to do the math but I believe even in direct sunlight at sea level the sun doesnt even emit that much lumen exposure per sf/sm I could be wrong tho. Someone will correct me if so I hope.

O

ogkb

Thanks for the reply @jumpincactus
I have a portable ac unit i believe its 12000btus. I was thinking about keeping them at only 75%
And yes they are 4 feet pots included. I was planning on only letting them get to about 3 .5 but my buddy was taking care of them wile i was dealing with some other things. They also seem to have a deficiency i believe is due to him doing a flush with straight RO water so been trying to correct that but like i said I'm new to the indoor scene. I still have a lot to learn.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like you have the cooling under control. You will need it. Strain dependent of course but unless you cut those babies back or trellis them you will quickly out grow your headspace after flip. Are you in soil or hydro?

O

ogkb

Herb
Herb2
Herb
Herb2

O

ogkb

Promix. I just built an adjustable 8.5x8.5x3.5 trellis out of pvc. I haven't put the nylon string up yet only cuz my 4x8x7 tent is getting the chop tomorrow morning and I'm gunna put my two fattest girls in the 10x10 an put them under they're own 8inch hood with 1000w super hps in the 4x8x7.5 tent so that will leave me with only 6 in the 10x10x8. Didn't really have to fight the heat to bad in the 4x8x7.5 highest it got was probably 86 and i had a co2 tank in their with a couple fans.

O

ogkb

my buddies been flushing with straight ph RO water for the past week or so but it seems to have made some to be showing new deficiencies? Any advice on a flushing method to fix the lockout @Toaster79

Toaster79

Toaster79

Your buddy stripped the roots of all the nutrients when drenching with pure RO and flushed the micorrhyzea from the soil which pretty much compares to trimming the root ball and puting it in styrofoam. Don't ask me how I learned that ;)

Give them a 1/4 strength appropriately pH'd solution and see what comes out of the pot pH andEC wise and go from there. But for sure use some mycorrhizae product and molasses to feed the soil and get it back to life. You're starting from zero here so be quick and careful.

O

ogkb

holy shit the ppms were over 3000 @Toaster79 for the pick of the girl in the animal the first picture

O

ogkb

is my best move to just continue on the regular feeding schedule at 1/4 strength @Toaster79 appreciate the help.

Toaster79

Toaster79

So you now have nutrients rich soil and no connection between the roots and those nutrients. You need to establish the bond there. Use some ewc teas and some bennies and they should pick up (might die on you completely as they need much food and not gettin any)

Toaster79

Toaster79

Keep in mind that excessive lighting and high temps are gonna mess with plants metabolism. They are gonna take up much more water to evaporate it in the air to keep themselves cool (they sweat just like you) and use up less nutrients to work their asses through. Also you need to keep their feet pretty cool so they don't step into the lava compartment and give up completely. Even though your in soil you might wanna start treating it like coco and keep their feet well hydrated all the time, not letting them dry out too much or at all. Still easy on the nutes.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Also, what is the pot to plant size ratio? Could they also bee root bound? Hitting the salty bottoms?

O

ogkb

I thought they may be foot bound some are in 8 an others in 10 gallon pots about 3-3.5feet tall about 3.5 feet wide. The animal cookies in the first picture is in a 10 gal

Toaster79

Toaster79

Like I said, treat them like they're in coco but don't push them over the edge. Forget about the suplemental lighting and get their eating habbits in control first. I'd give them a few shots of tea and see how they react to it. Nothing heavy. What was your run off pH?

O

ogkb

The ones I've check so far are in the 6.3-6.7ph some have 1500-2500 ppms. My bud for a week fed them aqua flakes a & b , he ran outa cocos an used some of the 3 gal of aqua flakes i had from last run on a current culture system but he only used about 6ml of each he said along with .4 drip clean, 1.4 amino, 3.8 multi zen ,1.5 algen extract, 5 ml rhino skin, 1.5 ml orca, 5 ml cal mag i did as u suggested an went with about a fourth of it all except went a grabbed some more coco a&b

O

ogkb

Do you have any recommendation on adding or removing anything from what I'm doing currently other than the EWC tea @Toaster79

Top Bottom