Outdoor Gardeners / Growers. Let's Talk-Show Gardens-Soil-Methods-Pests-Critters-Gardening Kind Of Stuff!

• Thread starter SnappyJack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

OB.... Mice... got them like acorns...yes almost every year have to take off the air intake on lawn tractor.. and any other machinery left outside... in vehicles I put a 1/4 wire screen in the intake of air cleaner... makes it a pain for them to pass... and one thing I know.... they can't get an acorn thru it... unless they eat it first.

With the lawn tractor they nest under the engine shroud... not about to take that off every time... wow the stink when the engine runs the first hour... sheeessss

BEAR... Never tried corn... seems like they take up more space then worth the output... but I think one year I'd like to try just for the experience... got farm land all around me... plenty of cow corn

A few days ago I walk around the house and start seeing plants starting to punch above the ground leaves from last year.. then yesterday... Bammm... this hosta pops up

View attachment 2162632

For me the garden is 4 hours work.. then 3 days of back pain.. this one of the front gardens.. about 4 days ago... tilling and adding leaf mold / compost.. if it wasn't for rock... I wouldn't have no land....
View attachment 2162628
In the above image notice the chives.. they their all year round.. last year split them in the two you see...

Below... the beets are starting to pop

View attachment 2162629

Below the romaine lettuce is popping.

View attachment 2162630

And finally the spinach is poking out....

View attachment 2162631

Concerning critters... the battle has just begun.......
I'm going to try the mesh this Fall. This wasn't the first time you described it to a T, it was a pain.

Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

Does anyone here use any of their weed nutes on the veggie garden? Was thinking about mixing my grow food with the bloom food and feeding that to the tomatoes. Im going to use the grow food on the corn and everything else, for now.
Absolutely, Mega Crop is my go-to for inside and out. Very cost efficient, simple and amazing results so far.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Absolutely, Mega Crop is my go-to for inside and out. Very cost efficient, simple and amazing results so far.
I’m starting to incorporate my veg food for the girls into the garden. I also put some of the transition food with veg left overs on my berries (not sure if its what they want but its something) : )

Thats good info! Im always looking for cost effective methods for anything lol. I’m going to check the stuff out! The stuff im using now isn’t the most expensive but it is something and makes me feel better inside about actually putting something in the soil for the plants hahaha!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I do, I feed them early with a 20-20-20 and later in the season with Master Blend, (also some GH Bloom that I'm trying to use up) I also hit them with handfuls of calcium and magnesium at various times throughout the season.
Are you top dressing the 20-20-20?
When you give them cal mag are you waiting for them to tell you or do you have a schedule or are you a fairy godmother out there all Willynilly whenever you feel like it?😂

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
No, they don’t grow Real big! I am one of your willy-nilly growers! But they flower beautifully around here! Probably do where you’re at also! If you’re in central California. And my old bones, cotton to small plants and High temps! 98 is just getting started! My shit maxes out at about a pound a plant!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
No, they don’t grow Real big! I am one of your willy-nilly growers! But they flower beautifully around here! Probably do where you’re at also! If you’re in central California
Im just down the road from you thirty minutes from sea level : ) If I had more sun it would be primo outdoor!! Hot/warm afternoons and coolerish overnight temps. stomped around them red banks a bit when I was younger younger. Called about 300 turkeys across the river one year at my grandpas place hahaha! It was amazing! (That was in Anderson though). Dad grew up in Pala Cedro, love it out there! It’s on the radar for future relocation, if I could just convince my wife that there are no such thing as rattle snakes out there 🤪😂

Willy-nilly is a good way to go about it hahaha. It’s more fun that way : ) regardless of the size I cant wait for those things to get going : )

Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

I’m starting to incorporate my veg food for the girls into the garden. I also put some of the transition food with veg left overs on my berries (not sure if its what they want but its something) : )

Thats good info! Im always looking for cost effective methods for anything lol. I’m going to check the stuff out! The stuff im using now isn’t the most expensive but it is something and makes me feel better inside about actually putting something in the soil for the plants hahaha!
I was amazed at my big pots of Zinnias last Summer using flower nutes, I even hit them with bloom booster a couple times. If they don't need it they won't use it.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Right on Bear! Then you know the area! You’re a regular local! Hope you can talk her into it! I’ve seen three rattlesnakes in the 20 years I’ve lived here! But it is a hot son of a bitch! L O L!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Merle Haggard lived in Palo Cedro! And loved the area! Especially Shasta Lake!

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

Are you top dressing the 20-20-20?
When you give them cal mag are you waiting for them to tell you or do you have a schedule or are you a fairy godmother out there all Willynilly whenever you feel like it?😂
No just mix it up to 600ppm, then when they start to set blossoms I put a tablespoon of magnesium around every plant and water it in

When they start setting fruit I switch to master blend which includes both calcium and magnesium

Then towards the end last year I just used the GH Bloom by itself just because I wanted to use it up, it's 0-5-4

I don't use GH anymore, I like it fine, it just got too expensive

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Right on Bear! Then you know the area! You’re a regular local! Hope you can talk her into it! I’ve seen three rattlesnakes in the 20 years I’ve lived here! But it is a hot son of a bitch! L O L!
Never saw a one in all my years visiting that area! But have experienced that heat many times : ) swimming in the sac was almost torture because it’s so cold haha.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
No just mix it up to 600ppm, then when they start to set blossoms I put a tablespoon of magnesium around every plant and water it in

When they start setting fruit I switch to master blend which includes both calcium and magnesium

Then towards the end last year I just used the GH Bloom by itself just because I wanted to use it up, it's 0-5-4

I don't use GH anymore, I like it fine, it just got too expensive
Thanks for sharing your run down!

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

Thanks for sharing your run down!
Glad to Mr. Bear, I love gardening! Now that I'm retired it's become almost a passion. I had plans to add more square footage this year but I don't know if that's going to happen due to recent health issues, but it could still happen I still have time ...and a tiller LOL

If I believed the weatherman I could plant right now but I don't believe them, here in northern Maine we could get snow tomorrow, so I'm going to wait another week🤞🏻

Regarding nutrients, I use what I have on-hand but pretty much anything will work, I've grown great gardens on Miracle-Gro, my Chinese neighbor back in Boston used to use urine & compost and he had gardens that were featured in local magazines and newspapers

TreeBee

TreeBee

So I have kind of been winging it in the garden this year and I think I may have double planted my beans 🤣 including the necks just breaking soil there are at least 12 bean plants in this picture.

Aviary image 1715784086363
Z

Zab

Regarding nutrients, I use what I have on-hand but pretty much anything will work, I've grown great gardens on Miracle-Gro, my Chinese neighbor back in Boston used to use urine & compost and he had gardens that were featured in local magazines and newspapers
Was he actually using urine or Urea type fertilizer?

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Glad to Mr. Bear, I love gardening! Now that I'm retired it's become almost a passion. I had plans to add more square footage this year but I don't know if that's going to happen due to recent health issues, but it could still happen I still have time ...and a tiller LOL

If I believed the weatherman I could plant right now but I don't believe them, here in northern Maine we could get snow tomorrow, so I'm going to wait another week🤞🏻

Oh it’s just Bear, Mr. Bear is my father😂 im just kidding you can call me whatever you want! Sorry to hear about your health, sounds like you got just enough to keep you busy while you figure it out.

I pee on my compost pile daily!!! So do the littles hahaha! My littlest, being a girl thinks it sucks because she cant pee like her big brothers and dad 😂

man I thought I planned and timed a little more appropriate this year and was still early!! My tomatoes tell the tale! Things around my parts are finally garden friendly, I was just out there thinking I may have to put my sun shade up over the carrots! Crazy!

Latest posts

Top Bottom