Lil Pete's First Coco Grow

• Thread starter Lil pEte
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Lil pEte

Lil petes first coco grow
Hi I'm new here.
I thought I'd document my first time growing with coco.

I'm growing Apollo 11, jabba's stash, more cowbell,BB hashplant, tangie
And a freebie called
Casey Jones X orange OG .

Using H&G cocos a&b
And H&G coco
And leftover elemental for cal/mag
Drain to waste in 1 gallon smart pots.

Lighting for now is 100 watt led with a 60 watt CFL
If'n it goes well, I'll use a 600 watt hps for flowering.

Last edited:
L

Lil pEte

they look like a happy bunch of sweetness. nice job!
Thanks!
It was rough for a minute. I started with
Coco tek bricks, and combined with lack of reading, I lost a bunch of good seedlings.

I'm going to try and make a cloner in a day or two, and take clones for sure.

There is a Jabba's stash there that is growing like a champ. I have very high hopes for that one in particular. : )

L

Lil pEte

I topped three of em today, mainly so I can try out my cloner. Oh and a blueberry hash plant photobomb lol.
There are a couple small rust spots on a couple lower leaves, more cal/mag?

The jabbas stash stinks a lot already.
Never had a plant smell so young.
The leaves are real thick too, like vinyl or something. Anyway cloned that one too.
The Tangie is growing real slow. Hope it's worth it.

Already getting tired of top feeding, I may make a flood table? Idk, I'm having fun with water pumps lol.

Dabominable

Dabominable

I personally only use smarties for finishing. It makes me gringe when i'm unpeeling/rolling/ripping the roots off the bottom of the smart pot. I'm sure there are others that say its good for it, but personally i feel like im hurting the poor thing..but yep roots coming out the bottom are normal.

L

Lil pEte

Oh crap, I had no idea lol.
I actually had not thought that far ahead, but
Now I'm worried a bit.

I was under the impression I wouldn't need to
Worry about getting rootbound in these.
I was hoping to keep a couple as moms, and leave em in the 1 gallon. Depending on how the clones preform.

Thank you Dabominable, for bring that to my attention, and stopping by.

Dabominable

Dabominable

See, now if you're doing moms, it's more appropriate to use the smarties, and you can pull/rip them out and re transplant bigger, or pull them out and prune the roots as you take your cuts. When i did moms i'd re-transplant into the same pots about every 3 months. When i did, i'd hack them up like i was taking cuts, and either take them if i needed them or toss them, because you need to cut your plant down, then you can trim some of your taproots/long roots down to size, pretty much mimicking the top canopy of the plant. If you plan to replant back into the same size pot, root pruning and branch pruning is a must.

Dabominable

Dabominable

I just transplanted 2 purple wrecks from 2 gallon smarties into 5 gallon plastics, so i know how bad i felt recently :P. I had to roll my hand down arouhd on the entire inside of the pot, and then try and get the under side off without murdering a lot of roots. I murdered a lot of roots, but the plants show absolutely 0 sign of any stress or slowing of vigour. I had just got the plants 2 weeks ago from a buddy, and he really likes his smarties. I finish in 30 gall smarties, but all the way till then im in plastics. 4"->8"->3 gal->5 gal->7 gal -30 gal (smarties)

L

Lil pEte

Thanks again!
Real good information I can use!

I hope to get a couple moms, and if this jabbas stash is a male, I'm keeping him too lol.
So maybe I'll move em to plastic when it comes time.

I sprouted too many seeds for the space I have indoors for sure. If only it was closer to June....:party1:

Dabominable

Dabominable

Plastic won't just do. search 'male isolation chamber' on the forum search. I plan on making one here real soon, rather have it and use it, then not and have to yank it or pollenate my entire greenhouse lol

L

Lil pEte

Lol yeah I will look that up, thanks.
I am always like " I'll cross that bridge when..."
But I should get on that.

Top Bottom