Little Grow Room. needs help

• Thread starter YesiCannabis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

YesiCannabis

Fear thanks for the words of encouragement, its much appreciated ;)
You say "sheetrock", is that the stuff grow tents are made from?
Anyway my grow area has 2 solid walls & 1 plasterboard wall, the fourth wall is basically just the door.
I know i need more holes through the walls (vents) but cant workout how to do it without it looking obvious to visitors.
I will have a good nights sleep tonight & hit it with a fresh mind in the morning.

Y

YesiCannabis

Right seem to have it sussed now, my only problem is the noise made by the inline fan & filter, anyone got any ideas on how this noise could be reduced?

F

Fear

boxmunch told me about sound blankets he bought online. So You can do that or any type of fire resistant insulation i.e. fiberglass.

Y

YesiCannabis

Great, i have a fire blanket i can use, thanks for the advice Fear ;)

Y

YesiCannabis

Its not the inline fan that makes the noise i need to reduce, its the air traveling through the flu piping, can this be muffled?

S

stone69

Dont give up Cannabis... these guy's can figure out anything you need bro! keep trying and good luck...

R

ReelBusy1

The room is 9' high, 3' wide & 8' deep. (no windows)
In there i have one 600 watt hps & a 5" in-line fan / filter & a 9" circulation fan. (also have another 14" fan but it makes the temps rise even higher)
I know i need an in-take fan but what size should i go for?

Heat is rarely an intake problem.
It's usually exhaust.
where does your exhaust fan lead?
Attic or back into the room?
if its the room then you have recirculating hot air and it is an intake issue that crosses a exhaust issue.

Y

YesiCannabis

Fear thanks again man, "insulated ducting or wrap it up" ;)

Stone thanks for the encouragement, im not giving up ;)

ReelBusy, i got my bedroom which is feeding the intake near the floor, then the closet (growroom) with a 5" exhaust near the celing, exhausting into the next room, the kitchen which usually has 4 open windows.
The closet door opens into the hallway, the hallway must look normal, (no holes or beams of light lol) but i cant get the growrooms temps below 84f with the door closed & the hps on.

Y

YesiCannabis

Big thanks to everyone who advised & encouraged me, the problem is cured, happy days, now the room is a steady 78f ;)

S

swede

YesiCannabis,

How did you solve the problem? I have a similar room with a 600w HPS and the temps are in the high 80's low 90's. I have a 4" intake fan drawing air from a open window and a 4" exhaust pulling air from the room and out through a chimney. I also have a oscillating fan for circulation but still can't cool the room.

Can you help?

Swede.

S

swede

Thanks Fear,

I don't have the cash to buy the equipment and i'm pretty new to growing so i don't even know how to go about setting that up. I started a thred to ask for help and someone suggested a cool tube. Would that lower the temps enough for me? I present i am using on of those cheap dutch barn shades.

Thanks Swede.

Y

YesiCannabis

YesiCannabis,

How did you solve the problem? I have a similar room with a 600w HPS and the temps are in the high 80's low 90's. I have a 4" intake fan drawing air from a open window and a 4" exhaust pulling air from the room and out through a chimney. I also have a oscillating fan for circulation but still can't cool the room.

Can you help?

Swede.

Hi Swede, firstly you should consider Fear's advice, hes a great advisor.
Secondly in this thread you will find a link posted by Rural GrowOp, looks amazing but if like me your skint then its hole cutting time.

Right, sucking in air from a chimney is not a good idea imo, tryed it but didnt like it, the chimney would make a much better place to exhaust.

Location of in & out takes, you need your intake near the floor, & your out take must be as high up as possible.
Make sure your in-take is getting its air from a cool place.
Your in-take must be bigger than your out-take in a small room.

My room has a 7 inch in-take & a 5 inch out-take.

This next idea is right off the wall but it could solve your problem until you can get better equiptment, but try it at your own risk.
From your filter attach some ducting, split that ducting into 2 ducting pipes (sealed air tight) & then connect both pipes to the in-line fans (one to each pipe) making sure both fans are sucking through the filter, cut an extra hole for the second pipe & fit it, now you have a duel exhaust.
Remember the exhausts must be up high.

Next on your desktop fan disable the oscillating feature, use cardboard (or simular) to make a funnel & attach it to the circumference of the grill so when the fan is on the air is blown through the funnel & into your growroom via the hole where your in-take fan was. (obviously the desktop fan & funnel go outside your growroom)

Hope these ideas help you get it cool enough Swede ;)

S

swede

Thanks Yesi i'm gonna give all of that a try. At the minute i have a 4" exhaust through the chimney but my intake is only 4" so i think i will upgrade to a 6". Does that sound ok? If i replace my 4" intake with a 6" would it be a good idea to still use the spare fan to make a dual exhaust?

Y

YesiCannabis

Your welcome Swede ;)

Yes Swede, i would anyway, even if you only use 1 regularly & turn the second on when your hit by a heatwave, or when you have a extra smelly strain whos smell cant be contained so easily.

Also remember when your adding / upgrading fans you will get quite a bit more noise.
At the moment i have a radio that plays 12 hours a day to drown out the sound of my 5 inch fan lol

Another good idea to minimise the noise is to have the fans suspended in mid air, not bolted to walls as this causes vibration which can be louder than the fan itself.

Good luck man.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Your welcome Swede ;)

Another good idea to minimise the noise is to have the fans suspended in mid air, not bolted to walls as this causes vibration which can be louder than the fan itself.

Good luck man.

good advice YesiCannabis, I use those heavy duty zip-ties to hang all my gear. Vibration noise held to a minimum.

jj

Y

YesiCannabis

jj thanks man, yes i bet those heavy duty zip-ties are ideal.

F

Fear

I go to orchard supply hardware and buy springs for a buck or two. They have a wide assortment. Everything hangs from a spring.

S

swede

Thanks again all for the great advice. Once i have things up and running again i will start a diary.

I'll look forward to talking again soon.

Swede.

Top Bottom